PDA

View Full Version : The result of free time

Beldaran
03-02-2006, 01:48 AM
During the entire month of December I was stranded in washington state at my parents house with nothing except an internet connection and my computer. So I decided to learn C++ and how to make a graphics drawing class. I programmed a tetris game. I play it for fun because unlike normal tetris games, it just stays at the same lazy speed and goes on forever. I get a lot of productive thinking done while playing it. Also, it has a few fun features of the Nintendo 64 version, Tetris 64. You can build silver and gold squares (although you don't get any extra points or anything. It's just for fun) and you get a tetramino resevior to hold pieces in.

I was going through some old files and I found the project so I thought I'd post it. Some of you might enjoy endless tetris meditation. Just unzip the .rar and run Pooptris64.exe

I made the graphics in photoshop. Programmed from scratch in C++ using the SDL library using VC++ 6. The graphics and animation class I wrote totally sucks, but it does just enough to make a tetris game.

Screen:
http://www.forrestkyle.com/tet.jpg

Download the game (http://www.forrestkyle.com/Squares_Lines.rar)

Also, if you are into the source or anything, please note that I'm not really a programmer and I was just hacking around. It's not documented and it's really messy. But I wrote every single line. =D

bigboylink
03-02-2006, 02:16 AM
You learned C++ in a month, produced a tetris game from what sounds like a complicated class, and claim to not be a programmer? Whatever, man :)

Pretty impressive though. I will definitely play around with this.

Beldaran
03-02-2006, 09:36 AM
I've done programming before... mostly java or C# for a job I had. I just hadn't done anything significant in C++. Also, I really am not a programmer. It's just a hobby I hack at. I don't spend enough time on it to get anywhere.

ShadowTiger
03-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Hell, what you did here takes a lot of people years to do, project including.

I look forward to cracking the seal and taking a look at the game when I get home. *Bows*

koopa
03-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Nice game. I once wrote a simple tetris myself, not as good as yours though. It's one of the standard things to do on the way to becoming a programmer, apparently. Looks good anyway.

*/me downloads the game*

Darth Marsden
03-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Very nice, Bel. I'm learning C++ myself, hope I get as good as that someday. Give yourself a cookie for an outstanding example of what you can do if you have the opportunity.