PDA

View Full Version : NeoFirst's Goals:

ShadowTiger
03-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Upon speaking with DN, we managed to narrow down the initial quest design to three things:

1) A NewFirst Replacement.
2) A DemoQuest Sequel.
3) An entirely new quest.

The first option has the most familiarity, in that the visibility of new features will be readily documented and available, since people are already familiar with the original NewFirst/2.10TestQuest, which exhibited the features new to that engine.

The second option is another DemoQuest, which will be almost as simplistic as the original, but can and may use most of the new features in 2.11. It will feature more flexibility than the first option.

The third option is to design an entirely new quest, much like the idea we've been developing as the original concept for NeoFirst, though mostly in standard quest format, with most of the exhibiting we do being a taggalong feature. (Being there just because we can build it that way now.)

So. Thoughts? Keep in mind, this may be included in every release of ZC until a new form of this quest can be made. It should be unpassworded, and everyone will have access to the tiles within, unless we happen to decide otherwise.

Dart Zaidyer
03-01-2006, 07:47 PM
I still believe it should be an ultimate showcase of ZC's features, with as little held back as possible. Demo quest served this purpose back in the day when ZC was in its infancy, and there were only one or two tilesets available. Today, the demands are much higher, and to ignore them when we have the chance to create a new pack-in quest would be foolhardy.

Sir_Johnamus
03-01-2006, 07:55 PM
New Quest.
In my opinion, the newfirst has kindof become cliche'd, and now there needs to be a new concept.

Jigglysaint
03-01-2006, 11:20 PM
At first I thought demo quest, but then I realised that the magic of Demo Quest came from the fact that Zelda Classic itself was new, and thus the novelty was what you could do with a brand spanking new game engine. It was supposed to let you see TLOZ, but with extras. This quest will never have the same magic that Demo Quest has, so therefore you have to define what brand of magic you want to share with everybody.

For this to work, you have to get into the minds of the average ZC player and go for the wow factor. Custom bosses are a great idea, as most people arn't skilled enough to pull one off. Event based systems, like say a growing party of characters who help you out as you find them(think one of C-dawgs quests, or a game with a growing city or somthing). Special techniques that normally can't be done with the ZC engine. For example, with the right techniques, you can add a limited use roc's feather using cutsceens and events. Dungeons with unique puzzles are obviously in. The emphasis should be on showcasing the best of the best. Of course the game should use every single item that is fully coded, not to mention all the items should be used to their fullest extent. It should either screem Zelda, or it should be so devoid of any Zelda references alltogether. Certainly not some "Link is stranded in some strange land" kind of game. Oh yeah, Zelda 3 style Ganon. Who said you can't make one?

KJAZZ
03-02-2006, 07:03 AM
After thinking it over, I would have to say I completely agree with Jigglysaint. :blah:

Just make sure that if we want beginners to be able to learn ZC techniques from this quest, that we go kinda slow on the custom bosses. Maybe 5-6 simple ones throughout the game, leading up to 2-3 large ones near the end?

I guess my main point would be this: Usually when a quest is released, the maker is hesitant to release the tiles, one reason would be that the combos are all mixed together and wouldn't be good for many people to work with. If this quest is indeed going to unpassworded, care should be taken that the combos and everything are fairly neat, as undoubtably some newer people to the program will try to base their quest off of this "great new zelda game" that they found.. (Lots of people based their first quest off of Newfirst's graphics, no?)

:shrug:

koopa
03-02-2006, 03:57 PM
I'd say go for something that's both fun for the average player to play as a quest and at the same time shows as many tricks and features of zc2.11 as possible. (minigames, custom bosses etc.) It should be like nothing anyone's ever seen before.

algam86
03-18-2006, 07:56 PM
I just voted...and the 'New Quest' is currently blowing all of the others in the dust. I'm pretty sure everyone's already said everything I was thinking. Especially koopa. Just...read his posts to find out what I think should happen.

EDIT: Oh, shoot. I just noticed how old this was...but with so few topics in the forum, I figured it was recent. Sorry.

ShadowTiger
03-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Pssht. You're no moron; you know what you want. :p I don't want Neofirst to be anything that makes more than 1/3 of the population unhappy or left wanting more. So I appreciate your input, Algam. :highfive: Most kind of you.

Indeed, I suppose that unless the topic is closed, or stated otherwise that it's dead, feel free to post your input. Quests are never truly "finished." They can only get better with time and others' opinions. :)

Nimono
03-19-2006, 03:19 PM
I think you should use most, if not all, of the screen flags, combos, and rules in NeoFirst. Maybe you could include some strings that DON'T appear in the quest itself that explain what each screen flag, rule, and combo can do? That would certainly help people who have a hard time understanding these things.