PDA

View Full Version : Do something in one room, something else happens in another

Nimono
02-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Okay, I'd like to make a dungeon that's FILLED with water, and when you enter, there's a door on each side. Left is shuttered (so you have to feed the guy in the room to continue), right is locked, and north is boss. Only thing is, to get to the door on the right, you must go to the left, find a switch, hit it, and then you can get through. However, I'd like to know if this is possible without Boss flags or warping to identical screens.

koopa
02-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Probably no, but you could make the door that returns you from the left room into the water room a sidewarp to another identical water room. That's the simplest I can think of.

firefly
02-26-2006, 01:12 PM
And why not to use Boss Flags?

Nimono
02-26-2006, 10:16 PM
And why not to use Boss Flags?
Well, I just wanted to know if it was possible without them. I know it's possible with direct warps+Insta-Warp, but...
Think Swamp Palace in A Link to the Past here. When you pull the switch in the Light World, the Swamp Palace fills with water.

Rakki
02-27-2006, 04:11 AM
The only way apart from using a Dungeon Boss screen flag is making Link warp into this changed room as soon as he triggers the change, which I doubt you want to do. You know, it's not really such a bad thing to use the Dungeon Boss to trigger events. :p After all, you can have one event triggered per level number (with the exclusion of level 0, I believe), and since levels can be numbered from 0-999, I think... Yeah. Get used to using them to pull off some simple tricks, you'll end up coming up with more clever and complex ideas and uses for the boss flag later on, which will cause people to say, "Wow, how did he do that?" ;)

Nimono
02-27-2006, 06:22 PM
The only way apart from using a Dungeon Boss screen flag is making Link warp into this changed room as soon as he triggers the change, which I doubt you want to do. You know, it's not really such a bad thing to use the Dungeon Boss to trigger events. :p After all, you can have one event triggered per level number (with the exclusion of level 0, I believe), and since levels can be numbered from 0-999, I think... Yeah. Get used to using them to pull off some simple tricks, you'll end up coming up with more clever and complex ideas and uses for the boss flag later on, which will cause people to say, "Wow, how did he do that?" ;)
Yeah, the reason I don't want to use the Dungeon boss flag is because I have 2 events to be triggered in the same room. The left path of the room triggers water to go away, letting you to the right side, which gives you the boss key and a switch that triggers an event that lets you get to the boss. I guess I should use warps.

Rakki
02-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Yeah, the reason I don't want to use the Dungeon boss flag is because I have 2 events to be triggered in the same room. The left path of the room triggers water to go away, letting you to the right side, which gives you the boss key and a switch that triggers an event that lets you get to the boss. I guess I should use warps.
Oh, yeah, that's the answer. If you can only get to one side of the room at a time, simply set up a side-warp in one of the rooms, either to the left or the right of the room with the switch, to warp you to a copy of the room on a separate level number, to be able to trigger another Boss Flag.

Nimono
02-27-2006, 10:07 PM
Oh, yeah, that's the answer. If you can only get to one side of the room at a time, simply set up a side-warp in one of the rooms, either to the left or the right of the room with the switch, to warp you to a copy of the room on a separate level number, to be able to trigger another Boss Flag.
No, I'm going to use Direct warps+Insta-Warp so I can make it look like a switch drained the water. Just slash the lever, and the whole floor turns into Direct Warp combos. Of course, the secret sound WILL be used, since that's the average sound you hear when you flip a switch that changes things around GREATLY, and normally can't be reversed.