PDA

View Full Version : A question about flags.

alfinchkid
02-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Is it possible to make a bunch of the same flags on a screen (in this case Sword1+) without them all dissappearing when one does?

rocksfan13
02-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Yes, but there is a limit and they have to be tiered.
Technically they would be the same flag but the flag would actually be used by a secret combo. 16-31

alfinchkid
02-24-2006, 03:09 PM
how exactly would I do this? I want the image of Link cutting down a forest with an axe. (Yes, I do have the sword icaon changed to an axe)

ShadowTiger
02-24-2006, 04:52 PM
In the Secret Combos screen, where you're looking at the 4x4 group of 16 Secret Combos, corresponding with Flags #16-31, .. .. set up Secret Combo #1 (Corresponding with Flag #16.) to be a nearly whole tree, .. then Combo #2 to be a slightly chopped one, .. the next combo to be even .. well, .. "choppeder" to make up a word, ... ... etc.

Then, when you're sufficiently satisfied with the number of axe wounds ... ... you've made in the tree, Hold in Ctrl and left-click (If that doesn't work, right-click.) on Combo #1, (Again, corresponding with Flag #16.) and choose Flag #17, which corresponds with Secret Combo #2, the next Secret combo after Flag #16.

This will make it so the flag won't disappear when you activate it, and proceeds to the next combo.

However, since there's only one Strike flag, you'll want to make the LAST combo in the series the strike flag, so it'll actually trigger a secret onscreen. However, if only THAT will trigger a secret, what will make the tree look like it's being chopped down? ... Okay, make your tree tiles into a "Slash" type combo, so it'll use the undercombo. Now, Secret Combos can be used as an extra Undercombo, so once you've already slashed your combo, it can be slashed again because you've got a series of linked slashed tree combos. The last one should be the Strike combo, because that one can be struck with your sword, and will trigger secrets elsewhere.

Oh yeah, that reminds me. Put a copy of your entire floor (All walkable space, if possible.) onto layer 1. You'll see why in a moment. Now, .. ... remember those Secret combos I was rambling on about earlier? Go back there, and make sure there's at least one empty secret combo there. ... Make that empty one into a stairs combo, as we'll place it all over the ground to warp Link somewhere else (Like in a cutscene or something; unnoticeable to the player that much.) .. Also, make sure that none of the other secret combos are referencing that stair combo with its Ctrl+click menu. Otherwise, the tree will turn into a stair eventually if you keep slashing it.

If this is too complex for you, ... just read it over again until you get it. XD I think I really went all out in this post. :p

alfinchkid
02-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks, thanks a lot. =D

ShadowTiger
02-24-2006, 05:16 PM
... > >.' ... ... Well, ... ... I want to make sure that you understand it before you thank me. :p Really, ... was any of that difficult to understand? I mean, in order to learn all this, you first have to try it for yourself and get the right format down, and in doing it right, you begin to see why it all works.

.. .. lol, .. the funny part is, .. you usually get things right when you see how and why it works, not the other way around. XD ... So, ... really, if you need clarification, ... please ask.

rocksfan13
02-24-2006, 05:27 PM
I don't think you can get any clearer than that BH4!

ShadowTiger
02-24-2006, 05:35 PM
... ... Oh, yes, you can. XD I could've taken screenshots! ;-p Next week, I should have a faster connection so I can upload the images, should you guys need 'em.

rocksfan13
02-24-2006, 05:53 PM
That may lead to be very useful. In fact might even be an idea to have a sticky for a good tutorial.

Ever thought of doing one for that?

ShadowTiger
02-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Hey, give me filespace that won't ever go down, and I just may. :p

Of course, I'm thinking of creating something that's a mix between an "Example" tileset to show off 2.11's (Beta 7's, .. not that I have it yet.) features, as WELL as a tutorial quest, to both walk through and see how things work while playing the quest, then to open it up and see how it works from the inside too. That, .. would be a WONDERFUL service to the people. I'd just need a little help structuring it. (Like, suggestions for rooms and stuff.)

alfinchkid
02-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Yeah, it workds perfect, except it cuts down several stages at once. Hmm... oh, and the look of the Axe pwns. Ask if you want a screenshot.

Petoe
02-24-2006, 07:29 PM
There's a really awesome flag guide at PureZC: http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17039

It even explains how to use tiered flags.... there are screenshots and even an example quest! :)

koopa
02-25-2006, 04:37 AM
Thank you very much, Petoe :)

BH4, I'd be ready to help on a tutorial quest, it's the sort of thing I like doing :) I like your explanation about secret combos too. Tiered secrets are probably the most powerful and wonderful feature in Zquest.