PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Armos->Item flag

Nimono
02-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Okay, I'm trying to make a treasure chest that will only open when you have a key, but it gives you an item when you open it. However, when I unlock it, no item appears. Do I HAVE to set the tile to the Slash-> Item combo to make the Armos-> Item flag work on it?

Rakki
02-21-2006, 01:49 AM
Man, you really are trying a lot of advanced stuff for your first quest, huh? Not that I think that's a bad thing, as you seem to be able to grasp the concepts behind them a lot better than lots of other people who ask questions about these things. :D Anyway, I do believe you HAVE to set the combo after the locked chest combo to the Slash (it doesn't need to be Slash->Item) combo and then slash the chest to have it open and get the item to appear. I don't think the Armos->Item flag can be triggered from unlocking a lock block. At least, when I tried it, the item only appeared when I slashed the unlocked chest combo, not when I unlocked it.

rocksfan13
02-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Too complicated.

Try setting the chest top on a layer 3 or above, so it covers the item.
Set the chest lock block on the 0 layer. Now the layered lock block has to be set to turn into an invisible square. As the one on the layer link is on (0) will change to the open chest. These are 2 separate combos. Hit 'i' and select your item. Place it on top of the chest. You won't see it because the layered chest image is covering it. Once you activate the lock block, it will go away and reveal the item in the chest.

I know it works, because I did it for Zelda's Quest.

WindStrike
02-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Ya know, if you use 2.11 beta 6, you can use the treasure chest combo and locked treasure chest combo. All you have to do is push from below and you get your item (key for the locked of course). Only problem with that is - you can't get the chest from any other direction. Oh, and my first quest will probably use just as many advanced things if not more.

rocksfan13
02-21-2006, 11:08 AM
2.11 is way too buggy to even fathom right now.

Nimono
02-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Man, you really are trying a lot of advanced stuff for your first quest, huh? Not that I think that's a bad thing, as you seem to be able to grasp the concepts behind them a lot better than lots of other people who ask questions about these things. :D Anyway, I do believe you HAVE to set the combo after the locked chest combo to the Slash (it doesn't need to be Slash->Item) combo and then slash the chest to have it open and get the item to appear. I don't think the Armos->Item flag can be triggered from unlocking a lock block. At least, when I tried it, the item only appeared when I slashed the unlocked chest combo, not when I unlocked it.
Hey, it's not my FIRST quest. My first quest used the tileset you get when you open ZQuest, and it was TERRIBLE, so I didn't finish it. I've got around 6 quests I'm working on right now, all of which use very good techniques.

Oh, and I'm using that tip of yours in another of my quests, rocksfan...

rocksfan13
02-21-2006, 04:51 PM
If this isn't your first. It might be best to go with the way I suggested. It will look a whole lot better.

Nimono
02-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Yes, it looks good, but it doesn't give the feel of opening a treasure chest in A Link to the Past or other games that have them.

rocksfan13
02-21-2006, 05:21 PM
True. But in 2.10, it's all we have to work with.

Nimono
02-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I know. I hope version 2.11 comes out soon, because I'm not getting any of the beta versions, no matter how tempting they are.

rocksfan13
02-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Yeah. They're getting a little closer every day. But it's still quite buggy.

Nimono
02-21-2006, 05:49 PM
And that is exactly why I'm not getting it yet. Oh, by the way, do you know all the new stuff they've added so far? I'd like to know what to expect before I get it.

rocksfan13
02-21-2006, 06:00 PM
It used to be listed HERE http://www.armageddongames.net/forumdisplay.php?f=126 (http://www.armageddongames.net/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
But I can't seem to locate it.

Nimono
02-21-2006, 06:08 PM
It used to be listed http://www.armageddongames.net/forumdisplay.php?f=126 (http://www.armageddongames.net/forumdisplay.php?f=126)HERE
But I can't seem to locate it.
Oh, okay. Thanks anyways...

Rakki
02-23-2006, 02:46 AM
I know of a few new features for 2.11 that will be in at least the final version (if none of the betas). One of the most exciting of them is multiple warps per screen. You can now have 4 side warps and 4 tile warps per screen. Combos are used to determine which tile warp links to which combo (things like staircase (A), staircase (B), etc.). All 6 tile warp combos now have an A through D type, for the four tile warps. Also, timed warps automatically use side warp A, I believe, unless they're set to use a random side warp. I can't remember if there's also a random tile warp combo that's been added, but I think there might be.

Another new feature is 256 color palettes. You can use all 256 colors in a level palette on any given tile.

Two more new features, which are actually in the current public beta (which is lacking multiple warps and 256 color palettes), are Dungeon Carving and Isometric (not what you think) modes. Dungeon carving mode makes it much easier to make walls in your dungeons. As far as I can remember, the way it works is that you start out by creating a room completely filled with ceiling tile (what you would use for it). Then you turn on Dungeon Carving mode (through one of the keyboard keys) and drag 1 castle wall tile (not sure which one) through the room, and it creates floor and walls that automatically join each other the way they're supposed to. Isometric mode is sort of similar to this, although it's used for easy creation of bodies of water. You simply drag water across land (with Iso mode on of course) and it creates water with the correct edges.

Another new feature I just remembered is Inherent Flags. Combos can now have a flag automatically applied to them when you place them on screen, although it doesn't count as you placing the flag ON the screen, so you can place a flag over a combo with an inherent flag to get the effects of two flags on the same tile. :D Also, through combo cycling, you can cycle FLAGS as well. It's a feature I've been wanting for a few months now (although I can't remember why I needed it in the first place).

The last new feature I can remember at the moment is Combo Aliasing. This is basically a way to place multiple tiles on screen at once, with a single click. You simply create an alias with all the combos you want to appear and then press some button on the keyboard (can't remember which) to open the combo alias menu (I believe it shows thumbnails of the aliases you created in place of normal combos) and choose your alias to place. It then shows an outline or something like that under your mouse so you can see where the entire alias will be before you place it.

Version 2.11 is shaping up to be the best version yet, don't you think? :p Now it just needs to be released without any CRITICAL bugs like 2.10 has. =/

Nimono
02-23-2006, 04:52 PM
WOW. I HAVE to get 2.11 when it comes out! Oh, and what kinds of items will be new to this version? Are they going to put the Roc's Feather/Cape in it? Also, I've heard about the Quiver...

Rakki
02-27-2006, 03:56 AM
The only new items I know of so far are the Small, Medium and Large Bomb Bags and Quivers. Oh, and multiple amount pickups for Arrows and Bombs. I believe it's 1, 5, 10 and 30 for arrows, and 1, 4, 8 and 20 for bombs.