PDA

View Full Version : Noob with questions

couchmonkey
02-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Hi I am having some troubles getting ZC or Zquest to open. Subsiquently I can't play with the editing tools and learn. I've already posted my technical problems at the bug center but while I'm trying to get Zquest to work I thought I might post a question that I can't find info on.

I don't want to make a triforce quest and have read that there are multiple subscreen types to choose from. I was wondering if there are any subscreen options that don't have the triforce box in them. Maybe something that allows you to collect something else like the instruments in Links Awakening. Also I was wondering if anyone might know of any links to screen shots that show the various subscreen types.

Darth Pikachu
02-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Unfortunetly, at least to my knowledge, there is no way to get around having the word 'Triforce' on the subscreen. However, there are 'clever' ways around how the appearance looks. An example of this would be with Link to Tortuga, where Link had to find the 8 pearls. Also, if you have a pretty picture, and a lot of creativity, you can use dungeon bosses to make the game progress without triforce pieces at all, but this requires some advanced tools like making cutscenes and using dungeon boss flags, something a 'noob' might not want to start doing right off the bat.

Once you get your technical problems fixed, what I would reccommend is start by making a simple quest with the default graphics, nothing too fancy, with the eight pieces of the triforce. This will really teach you a lot about zquest and how to do some of the more advanced skills with it.

Hope this wasn't too much info.:googly:

WindStrike
02-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Actually, there's a really simple way to go through without the triforce pieces. In the room the triforce would normally be in, make it a warp room. No, don't use side warps, unless you can with this next part. Although this would limit freedom a little bit, when you warp, it would warp you to the area around the next level with a trigger only reachable by the way you came. Make sure the trigger is permanent so that way you'll be able to come that way normally anyways. As a matter of fact, I am doing that in my quest which won't come out for like, 2 years at the very least, but I won't tell you where I'll do it or how many times I'll do it. So, unless you want high freedom throughout the quest, try this trick out.

Questwizard88
02-18-2006, 11:41 PM
The Triforce thing can easily be gotten rid of, but it takes out the -Life- one too, and others depending on the subscreen. Just go to Quest->Graphics->Misc. Colors, and set Caption to the same color as Subscreen BG. Then, you can draw the frame for whatever you want to collect, and add the correct text in the frame. I usually keep the text in the top 8 pixels of the frame, since it looks better that way to me.