PDA

View Full Version : Legal issues concerning possesions and being kicked out - Help me out.

punkonjunk1024
02-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Basically, I'm looking for someone into law to gimme a hand with this.
I was just kicked out of my home with my father, I am 18, and I sorta have a place to stay, so I'm OK for now.
However. He's told me that he will give me my clothing back, nothing more.
I'm pretty sure being that I'm 18, all the things I've purchased, or were given to me by people that weren't him are my posessions, and keeping them is theft.
Would calling the popo be apropriate? THats so fun to say. PoPo. I'm such a thug.

Anyhow, what right does he have to my things, currently? Are they his, because I lived there, or because he was a parent, or are my things mine, because I am a legal adult?

Beldaran
02-18-2006, 01:54 PM
If you're 18, I'm pretty sure he can't just keep your shit for fun. Call the police.

Verman
02-18-2006, 02:45 PM
He can't keep shit.

Just leave your pc there so we dont have to hear shit from you anymore.

moocow
02-18-2006, 08:41 PM
He can't keep any of your stuff, not even if HE gave it to you as a gift. I fhe let you borrow it however, that's a different story.

So, if you can't talk him into giving you your belongings within the next 24 hours or so, call the police and have them take you to his house to get your stuff. There's nothing he can really do about it.

My ex's mom kicked him out once, and tried to keep his X-Box because she bought it, but it was a Christmas gift to him so legally she couldn't keep it.

You can, however, get in trouble if you go into the house to get your stuff without him knowing. Breaking an entering and all that.

Good luck.

punkonjunk1024
02-19-2006, 12:03 AM
He can't keep shit.

Just leave your pc there so we dont have to hear shit from you anymore.

Uhhhh, can you leave the flaming out of the help thread, please? Take it to GB.

Thanks alot, mooie. I'll keep that in mind. I'm having trouble searching any kind of info on this, but that seems to be the jhist of what people tell me. The cops told me it may be hard to prove I own things, so I'd need people to vouche, but he's a relatively honest man, so if I get the cops involved, he's pwnt.

Brian
02-19-2006, 01:10 AM
Legally its hard to say on this issue, since much of the stuff that was "yours" was yours before you turned 18, back when your parents legally owned all of your possessions. Like what was said above, things you bought yourself and things given to you as gifts are definately yours, but things that you had in your room and everything from before you turned 18 may be harder to get back if your dad is real determined. You probably should call the social services division of the police and talk to them about it.

Glitch
02-19-2006, 03:30 AM
Uhhhh, can you leave the flaming out of the help thread, please? Take it to GB.

And how about you not Rent-a-Mod.

moocow
02-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Well then maybe there should have been a mod here to tell Verman to knock it off.

Anyhow, you're welcome pojo. Good luck with it. I don't see why he wouldn't admit to your stuff being your's, that'd be pretty scandalous if he didn't =/ If he doesn't, I hope you can get someone to vouche for you.

Brian: Anything and everything given to him as a gift and everything he'd bought for himself even before he turned 18 is legally his. Now, his father could probably fight for the "gifts", but as far as things he purchased himself with his own money, his father cannot legally keep. As far as things like, his bed or anything like that in his room that his dad put in there, he (pojo) more than likely won't be able to get back.

punkonjunk1024
02-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Bed and furniture, NP. I don't mind, I am mostly concerned with my PC/300+cds, and all my writing. Furniture is probobly a no go.
Thanks alot. :)

Things are worked out now (it must be hard to tell your non-live in wife... "yeah... I kicked him out... because he forgot the dishes... and turned the heat up...") He felt like a douche for kicking me out into -30 with no place to stay, and then proceeding to make fun of me on my voicemail. Yeah. But it's bound to happen again, and this information will prove useful when I move out and he's like WTF THATS MY PC YOU FAGGOT, I can be all like 18th birthday present bitch, owned.

Thanks for the help, either way. It'll prove handy.

AlexMax
02-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Don't listen to any of these people.

Talk to a real lawyer. It should cost nothing just to ask for some legal advice.

Jigglysaint
02-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Here's a thought: Whatever you did to piss off your father, go and fix it try to make amends. Nobody kicks their children out of the house like that unless they are doing somthing that totally offends them. Then again, he might have the problems, and in that case, yeah you can go to the police, but you can expect to possibly offend him to the point of being disowned. I know you are angry, but that isn't an excuse to not use your brain in touchy matters like this.

punkonjunk1024
02-20-2006, 08:32 PM
My family is a little wierd, specially my dad. Militant man. I turned up the heat, and forgot to do the dishes. Yes, I was lazy. It slipped my mind, I ate nothing at home, so it didn't occur to me.
I'm not really angry at all. I just want to get things sorted right.
And I don't want it to happen again, until I can support it. I hate relying on people like that, it's difficult.

@alex: Never tried, I was hoping we might have one around here.
I will give that a shot if this occurs again, of course, but it's nice to see what is said here. And it makes me feel better incase it DOES happen again.
If they're wrong... Breaking and entering. :)

Deviance
02-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Yeah I remember when I got kicked out of my house. It was in the middle of december. My dad and I got over an argument just about grades and he pushed he. So I swung back and he kicked me out of the house. I spent my week over at a close friend down the street. My dad found out where I was hanging. He apologized to me about what he did and I accepted it but It was my fault hitting him first. That's one thing you shouldn't do is hit your parent's

AlexMax
02-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Here's a thought: Whatever you did to piss off your father, go and fix it try to make amends. Nobody kicks their children out of the house like that unless they are doing somthing that totally offends them.

Wrong. Sometimes, depending on how much of an asshole the parent is being, it's sometimes necisarry to get the fuck out of the house and carve out your own existance. Thankfully, I had a great pair of parents, but I know other guys who weren't so lucky. Moving out to get away from asshole parents is not the end of the world, it's tough as hell, but sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

War Lord
02-22-2006, 03:50 PM
I think the only clear option you have here is to burn the house down.

punkonjunk1024
02-23-2006, 08:56 AM
I actually burnt down a garage when I was younger, but that was more the cliched pyromaniac interests than malicious intent.
It was cool though.
Napalm = styrafoam and gasoline. Thank god for the internet. obviously I learned my lesson, and got away from that shit, but damn, is fire cool. I mean uh

Breaker
02-23-2006, 12:12 PM
I actually burnt down a garage when I was younger, but that was more the cliched pyromaniac interests than malicious intent.
It was cool though.
Napalm = styrafoam and gasoline. Thank god for the internet. obviously I learned my lesson, and got away from that shit, but damn, is fire cool. I mean uh

I would have disowned you then.

DragonBlaze
02-28-2006, 03:27 AM
wow, so much hatred...

I'm with Alex call a lawyer

punkonjunk1024
02-28-2006, 08:30 AM
I would have disowned you then.
but I'd still luv uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Lilith
03-01-2006, 03:34 AM
I'd kick you out for having ADHD and constantly bringing up that you don't have ADD in long winded discussions, and then overexplaining everything possible and further illustrating your ADHD. Woot.