PDA

View Full Version : Opera Browser for Nintendo DS

vegeta1215
02-15-2006, 02:47 PM
All I can say is its about time: http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2006/02/15/

ZTC
02-15-2006, 03:00 PM
All I can say is that it's incredible. I wonder if there will be "browser wars" with the DS...

Tygore
02-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Freaking sweet. I will totally buy that when it comes to America.

vegeta1215
02-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Right now it sounds like it's only going to be released in Japan, where Opera is doing very well (esp in the mobile market). Whether or not it will be released here is hard to say.

I'd be willing to shell out the money for it though.

Tygore
02-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Actually, aren't DS games non-region specific? I suppose that you could import it, if you're into that sort of thing.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
02-15-2006, 08:02 PM
I'd import it. Being able to play Netbattle or iSketch when not at home? Fuck yeah.

VI3T_DR@GON
02-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Is this the internet on a DS? Or is it some thing on WiFi that lets you talk to people all over the world?

Thunderbird
02-15-2006, 08:12 PM
Actually, aren't DS games non-region specific? I suppose that you could import it, if you're into that sort of thing.

Correct, DS games have no region locks. At least last I checked.

Though in the case of Opera, if you imported it, you might have to deal with a Japanese interface, which could be difficult if you don't understand the language.

Kairyu
02-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Seems they're also working on TV services. (http://www.gamespot.com/ds/puzzle/gentlebrainexercises/news_6144345.html)

Grasshopper
02-15-2006, 10:45 PM
I sure hope there isnt' browser wars, unless it would be this (http://www.spreadfirefox.com/files/galleries/3fb5c621505eb89cab072676cc90a62e-15008.jpg).

These two browsers I can deal with, just not another IE. I would greatly enjoy it, just to surf the web when I'm not around a PC, not like I can play WoW on my DS or anything, but software that would get some use from me.

vegeta1215
02-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Is this the internet on a DS? Or is it some thing on WiFi that lets you talk to people all over the world?

If you have access to a wireless hotspot, you would be able to use Opera on the DS to surf the web. I'm sure if it goes well, they would release other software such as instant messaging and personal organizer software (which I'm hoping for!)

cbailey78
02-17-2006, 10:40 PM
They can turn the Nintendo DS into a Handheld Organizer!

chiisaiko
02-18-2006, 12:24 AM
I'm curious, but is "Opera" short for something in this case? O.o It's quite interesting that they would name a web brower after a musical term. *dons music teacher hat...yes, I am a bonified, certified music teacher* An Opera, to pu it in the simplest terms, is a play that is completely sung...there are no breaks in the music...^^;;; just an fyi...but I bet most of you knew that already....

Grasshopper
02-18-2006, 12:35 AM
No, "Opera" doesn't stand for anything. In fact, I just done a search on their website (www.opera.com), and found this.

Where did you come up with the name Opera for your company?

Platform: All platforms

The reasons the name "Opera" was chosen are several. For one, "Opera" is known as the opera all over the world. London, Paris and Moscow all have Operas, and it's one thing that has long historical roots in almost the entire world. Secondly, the Opera is associated with quality and high standards - you never hear of Opera singers who go on a drunken spree... ;-) Thirdly, the Opera is fun. (Or at least, it's meant to be for the people who don't have prejudices against it for being snobby and upper class-only.)

So, all in all, one might say there's more thought to Opera's name than to Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer, though I'm sure they've not chosen their names lightly either.

The direct link was here
http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=145

chiisaiko
02-18-2006, 12:33 PM
O.o wow, that is a very intereting and well thought out idea (though, I can tell you that there are drunk opera singers out there....just usually not on stage...XD Can't sing in a forigen language if you can't speak in your own, ya know?)

And Opera is not for Snobby, Upper-class people...at least it didn't used to be. Opera was enertainment for the masses, much like movies are for us today. The parties people would have for new Operas...I'd love to live in those days...*sighs* It's too bad that people don't get to see more Operas...the classical arts are way to expensive...

>.< But I'm rambling and waaaaaay off subject, so I'll stop now...

Skulkraken
02-21-2006, 02:05 AM
I am also excited about this. Has anyone else checked out the Opera boards for info on this? Apparently, this browser is shipping in a bundle, along with a RAM cartridge that plugs into the GBA slot. It's based off of the desktop version of Opera, and has two modes: one in which both screens are used to display a fit-to-width version of the page, and one in which one screen shows a magnified version while the other shows the full page. The browser also won't support Flash or PDF files out of the box, though there might be some possibility of downloading updates later on. Securitywise, WEP is most likely, though WPA might also be possible, since security levels are handled by programs, not the DS. So far, it seems like the pack might be priced around $30-35 US dollars when it arrives.

ZTC
02-21-2006, 12:42 PM
the thing I'm wondering is this-
would it be possible to download content, and how would that work?