PDA

View Full Version : So yeah, I finally got around to working on ZC again

jman2050
02-09-2006, 10:35 PM
http://www.cgi101.com/~jman2050/img/save1.png
Simple screenshot, nothing fancy. Note the skull combo there. I added that for a reason

http://www.cgi101.com/~jman2050/img/save2.png
Walk on top of the combo and press start (the subscreen button) in order to get...

http://www.cgi101.com/~jman2050/img/save3.png
this.

You can continue where you left off after saving. It still uses the current method for deciding a save screen, but I'm sure a rule can be added to do otherwise. Other possibilities include adding a subscreen option for quest makers who want you to save anywhere, prevention of saving the normal method so questmakers let you save only where they want, etc.

Discuss.

Solaris_Omega
02-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Nice F*%#$ work man, really nice. Can't say much more than that. You and DN are awesome for the work you do.

firefly
02-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Wow, this is great!.
I can't wait for this beta!!!
And is it a combo or a flag?

Deviance
02-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Tell you what. I know I will be usng this feature when it is fully implemented. Nice work Jman.

VEL
02-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Cool! I love it! :D

jman2050
02-09-2006, 10:50 PM
It's a save point combo currently, though I can make a screen flag if neccesary to compliment it (so you can press start anywhere on screen). Of course, this replaces the subscreen in action, so use of the screen flag should be judicious in nature.

ShadowTiger
02-09-2006, 10:51 PM
I think this is a combo.
Note the skull combo there. I added that for a reason Just a guess though. Maybe there's a "save flag" or something on the combo, with the combo merely being a visible marker of the flag's position. I don't know, really. Could be either, but jman himself can confirm that, obviously.

EDIT: .. *Sigh* .. .. I always end up posting after everyone else posts. XD I swear, when I got here, there wasn't one post after jman's first. XD

This is amazing, jman. Absolutely revolutionary. If there is a quest rule enabling you to save at any time via the subscreen, there will definitely need to be screen flags where saving is disabled. Personally, I wonder whether the default should be enabled or disabled. You shouldn't be able to save in the middle of boss battles, obviously, but then again, you've got those Metroid Style Save Rooms too. (But those are more of a Dmap-based save system, as PolygonX8 has done successfully in the past.) ... But then again, maybe you shouldn't be able to save in dungeons either, except in select save rooms, whereas on the overworld you can save anywhere. Interesting. o.o'

Linkman90
02-09-2006, 11:16 PM
This sounds awsome. Nice job man. :) I can't wait till it is fully implimented. ^_^

*b*
02-10-2006, 01:24 AM
sweet. that's a very nice addition to ZC. now, if you could make a quest rule to not go to the save screen when you die, quests REQUIRING save points will really be awesome

idontknow
02-10-2006, 04:43 AM
Awesome!

How about other 'action' combos enabled by standing on them & pressing 'Start', such as:

1) Start-->Save/Quit
2) Start-->Next (perminently goes to the next combo in the list, like lock blocks, treasure chests)
3) Start-->Temp Trigger
4) Start-->Perm Trigger
5) Start-->Tile Warp
6) Start-->Show String
7) Start-->Kill All Enemies
8) Start-->Show Map (like pressing the Map button, but allows this to be done when the quest rule is disabled, so you can only see the map at certain locations)

Just to name a few; Many of these would be great for things like NPCs, events, cut-scenes, and other actions.

Shoelace
02-10-2006, 05:47 AM
Awesome jman, just awesome.

And idontknow, those are great suggestions, kinda like my suggestion in the other thread. I would prefer the A button though or maybe another action button, because start may be annoying. For example, you wouldn't know where to press the button and then the menu drops down instead. I don't know, that would be annoying in my opinion.

Petoe
02-10-2006, 08:43 AM
What can I say that hasn't been said already? I'm in awe!
jman and DN are doing such a brilliant job! I'm so lovin' al these new additions lately! I can't wait to get started with my new uberbig quest project... ;)

ZeldaLord
02-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Awesome!

How about other 'action' combos enabled by standing on them & pressing 'Start', such as:

1) Start-->Save/Quit
2) Start-->Next (perminently goes to the next combo in the list, like lock blocks, treasure chests)
3) Start-->Temp Trigger
4) Start-->Perm Trigger
5) Start-->Tile Warp
6) Start-->Show String
7) Start-->Kill All Enemies
8) Start-->Show Map (like pressing the Map button, but allows this to be done when the quest rule is disabled, so you can only see the map at certain locations)

Just to name a few; Many of these would be great for things like NPCs, events, cut-scenes, and other actions.

You might as well have an "Action" button for that (think OOT), that way it wouldn't interfere with the subscreen.

ShadowTiger
02-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Yeah, I think it's time for an action button. =/ I mean, ... honestly, ... ... how difficult can it be to copy and paste the code for pressing a button, erase the functionality for that code, and start anew under a new button assignment? You can move the "Subscreen" into the "<new button>" to save at the save point. Even jman agrees.
[09:00] <jman2050> well, not start

jman2050
02-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Save-Quit combo - Same as a Save Point combo except selecting save also quits the game, ala Z3.
Screen Flag: Use as Save Screen(SP) - When saving at a save point on this screen, registers this screen as the continue point for when you restore the save file or die.
Screen Flag: Use as Save Screen(Auto) - Upon entry of the screen, registers this screen as the continue point if you save.
New Rule: No Saving when COntinuing - Causes the continue menu when you die or press F6 to only have two options: COntinue and Retry. Saving will not be allowed.

Jigglysaint
02-11-2006, 12:39 PM
That last quest rule is going to prevent people from cheating in quests big time. It might end up getting abused, but still is pretty good.

imported_Aori_Radidjiu
02-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Well done jman!
Question: Will we be able to have Link start a saved game like in ALttP, where you could choose to start at certain special places? (Link's House, Sanctuary, Pyramid, etc.)

Nick
02-11-2006, 02:47 PM
I think that Continue from the quit menu needs reworking a bit for when quest makers force people to only save where specified (a rule, possibly?). In it's current state, continue would essentially let me warp around and possibly back to the save point to save with my progress... kinda defeating the purpose of the save point. :shrug:

I'm basically looking at a save system like Metroid... where when you die... everything you did after the last save is forgotten when you continue.

Kingboo30
02-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Speaking of the post above mabye there can be a rule where, if you die, everything you did would be lost unless you saved at a saved point, like Metroid. This would be great for a metroid quest. You'll be trying to dodge and get back to a save point.

Edit: Nevermind, you already said it. Well a Metroid Quest is now more like a Metroid Quest now because of that rule. Are you going to fix up the 256 color per screen pallete? This will really help if your importing from a games like FFVI, V, VII, Chrono Trigger, etc. Or any game for that matter without recoloring. This can really change ZC in a good way.

*b*
02-11-2006, 03:49 PM
press F6 to only have two options: COntinue and Retry. Saving will not be allowed.
good boy. if you keep adding cool features, I may stop bitching about new maps... maybe...

ZeldaLord
02-11-2006, 05:37 PM
What I'm surprised noone has mentioned is that this will help solve one type of continue bug.

Shoelace
02-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Two thumbs way up. The saves sound really good if they aren't buggy. I am just so excited. :P

jman2050
02-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Rule - SKip continue menu

Skips the continue menu completely when you quit or you die, immediately taking you back to the save select screen.

And on a completely seperate note, I've been doing a lot to fix the bugs with Z3-style Link. One important change is the way water is handled. In the current beta, you see you can do some weird things with narrow straits of water and land by walking on the seams between water and land. Well, the new behavior sort of mimics Z3 more: you have to press against the water for about a third of a second to hop in completely, and you have to press against land for about a third of a second to jump back out. Or, if you like, we can axe the delay altogether, btu I sorta like being able to wait a bit before jumping into water. Note that the normal Link behavior shouldn't change.

Aside from that, stuff like wrong-way scrolling warps are fixed. The item sensitivity has been changed as has been the sensitivity for stepping on stuff like stair combos. Push blocks, lock blocks, etc. should all work without having to be on the normal 8x8 grid. Two pressing matters remain: pit warps, and the ladder. I need people to test Z3-link movement (both with normal collision AND large collision, just to be sure) with those aspects and see if any alarming behaviors come up. Thanks in advance.

erm2003
02-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Wow jman, it sounds great! I am especially excited that the Z3 movement was fixed because it was quite frustrating when trying to push blocks as many of us saw in a couple demos a while back.

I am really excited about a lot of these changes! I may be putting some quest work on hold until the full version comes out because I know I will want to use a lot of the features that you and DN have been putting in. Keep up the great work!

*b*
02-12-2006, 04:40 PM
I need people to test Z3-link movement (both with normal collision AND large collision, just to be sure) with those aspects and see if any alarming behaviors come up. Thanks in advance.
are you talking about the latest beta release, or the latest build that you have? I can test in Beta 6, because Link uses Z3 style movement in that

jman2050
02-12-2006, 05:06 PM
the latest beta. Why would you all be able to use the build I have now :P

*b*
02-12-2006, 05:14 PM
well, I thought you might have meant that once beta 7 is released, then we test it with the Z3 animation

speaking of beta 7, when will it *gets shot*

Shoelace
02-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Aside from that, stuff like wrong-way scrolling warps are fixed. The item sensitivity has been changed as has been the sensitivity for stepping on stuff like stair combos. Push blocks, lock blocks, etc. should all work without having to be on the normal 8x8 grid. Two pressing matters remain: pit warps, and the ladder. I need people to test Z3-link movement (both with normal collision AND large collision, just to be sure) with those aspects and see if any alarming behaviors come up. Thanks in advance.

Yes! I love the Z3 movement, however, it was too buggy that I can't get the feel for it. You know I will test the Z3 movement since that is one of the aspects I like about the next beta. Joy!

firefly
02-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Z3 style movement is very buggy, I frecuently crash my game when using it with fastwalk, or by walking into the edge of the map while diagonal walking.

jman2050
02-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Yeah, so I tested it myself. Pits seem to be alright, maybe a bit too sensitive then they should, but it works. The ladder though... That piece of crap is all over the place. Not entirely sure how I should go about fixing it, but we'll see.

WindStrike
02-13-2006, 05:34 PM
On the save points, when you get on them, what will happen to the rest of the screen? Like, will the rest of the screen freeze or will you become invincible with no ability to use your sword or other items. Or will it all just be the same? And second point - will there be a sound when you step on the save point?

Dlbrooks33
02-13-2006, 08:32 PM
i already tested the large movement. You mean when you extend link right? I tested that, I'll brb, I'll post the quest i made of it.

EDIT: You can get it here: http://rapidshare.de/files/13221615/MC_Link-version211.qst.html

KJAZZ
02-14-2006, 02:07 AM
Wow, very nice. Hadn't ever thought of anything like this before.

Owl Statues, anyone? :P

WindStrike
02-14-2006, 06:19 PM
You know, this option actually makes farore's wind useful! I always just hit quit continue unless I knew there was a continue bug.

eXodus
02-15-2006, 12:24 AM
Now that saving can be reserved for specific points in a quest, and the continue screen can be skipped entirely, can that godforsaken screwjob-counter (death-counter for those who die due to their own actions) be abolished as a quest rule? Or is that rule only there so that it can act like Retry but still add 1 to the counter (which is pure evil, by the way)?

jman2050
02-15-2006, 12:31 AM
Actually, I hadn't even thought of the retry counter. I'll have to look into that.