PDA

View Full Version : Mmmm....Lard

ZTC
02-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Lard is an animal fat produced from rendering the fat portions of the pig. Lard was a commonly used cooking oil though its use in contemporary cuisine has been diminished due to the health concerns posed by saturated fat and cholesterol. Lard is still commonly used to manufacture soap by small scale artisanal soapcrafters and large industries alike.

During the 19th century, lard was used in a similar fashion as butter in North America and many European nations. Lard was also held at the same level of popularity as butter in the early 20th century, and was widely used as a substitute for the butter during World War II. As a readily available by-product of modern pork production, lard had been cheaper and more flavourful than most vegetable oils and featured prominently in many people's diet until the industrial revolution made vegetable oils more common and more affordable.

Toward the late 20th century lard began to be regarded as less healthy than vegetable oils such as olive and sunflower due to its high saturated fatty acid and cholesterol content.

Despite its similar chemical constituency and lower saturated fat content than butter, lard typically incites much consternation and disapproval from many North Americans. This is possibly due to attitudes and the perceived nature of the source animal for lard, or the methods required to obtain the fat from its source. Many restaurants in the western nations have eliminated the use of lard in their kitchens due to the religious or health related dietary restrictions of many of their clients. Many industrial confectioners substitute lard with beef tallow in order to compensated for the lack of mouthfeel in many baked goods and free their food products from pork based dietary restrictions.

Rendered lard has also been used to produce cakes of soap.
Lard is one of the few edible oils with a relatively high smoking point due to its high saturated fatty acids content. Pure lard is especially useful for cooking since it produces very little smoke when heated and has a distinct and pleasant taste when combined with other foods. Many chefs in fact agree that lard is a superior culinary fat in terms of its possible applications and its taste. Lard also does not contain any trans fats.

Due to its higher melting point than butter, pie crusts made with lard tends to be more flaky than those made with butter. Many cooks now employ both types of fats in their pastries to improve the product's texture and flavour.

Even today, lard still plays a significant role in British, German, Polish, Mexican, Norwegian and Chinese cuisines. Lard was the commonly used solid fat in the United States prior to the introduction and popularization of Crisco, which is made from cottonseed oil.

Lard can be obtained from any part of the pig as long as there is a high concentration of fatty tissue.

Lard may be rendered from the fatty tissue just above the tenderloin or under the skin of the pig. The highest grade of lard, known as "leaf lard", is obtained from the leaf fat that surrounds the kidneys. The lowest grade is obtained from around the small intestines.
I found this on another board, and I'm a little disturbed by the facts.
Commets, questions?

Dirk the Daring
02-08-2006, 03:33 PM
I don't really care what part of the pig it comes from, I will eat anything fried in lard!! It really is the best thing to cook with for taste, not for health. What exactly is disturbing to you?

ZTC
02-08-2006, 03:52 PM
looks like I forgot to include why :sweat: , though it's more weirded out than disturbed
bascially the areas where it can be obtained

biggiy05
02-08-2006, 04:03 PM
looks like I forgot to include why :sweat: , though it's more weirded out than disturbed
bascially the areas where it can be obtained

You don't want to know what parts of the body meat comes from on different animals then.

ZTC
02-08-2006, 04:26 PM
no, it's just that I don't think about it, lol
out of sight, out of mind...

ONeilcool
02-08-2006, 06:38 PM
This reminds me of the hot dog factory story my 5th grade teacher told

He use to work at one and he told how he cut off the pigs head that were hanging an assembly line and stick his fingers in his eyes like a bowling ball and shave off and the fat. He told us all about that stuff, and ofcourse like all 5th graders everyone was like "ewwwwwwwwwwwwww"

Bender
02-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Interesting side-note:
Lard, for all the stigma that has been attached to it, actually helped in the creation of the FDA(albeit in a happenstance sort of way). Upton Sinclair's book The Jungle contained a story about a man working in a rendering plant who fell into a vat where lard was being processed, fell in, and was himself turned into lard (ouchie). This story, along with many others just as horrible, led to outrage......*skips many elements of story*.....which led to the FDA! Yayyy!

As for its use for cooking, it's good, but whenever I hear the word lard, I think of the Fat Elvis

ShadowTiger
02-08-2006, 08:39 PM
... ... *reads article* ... ...

Ladies and gentlemen, now you know why Jews won't let other Jews eat pig. :p

XD

Lilith
02-09-2006, 08:04 AM
Awesome.

Rule: as long as people can eat it without getting horribly ill, it's edible.

halenite
02-12-2006, 10:05 AM
wow...just wow

ZTC
02-15-2006, 01:36 PM
uh...

HOLY SHIT!

I really didn't think you'd join :rolleyes:

btw, wow as in...?

algam86
02-15-2006, 09:09 PM
Well, apparently my family only uses lard in the soap. We use butter...from cows!

Oh, well. I don't even like most pork products, so I don't have to worry about it much...unless I swallow a bar of Dial, of course.