PDA

View Full Version : Death to the 360 ....long live nes11!!1

Cronic
02-08-2006, 02:33 PM
so yea recently I dumped about 2 grand into my overall gaming setup, and among these purchase an xbox 360 and some thousand dollars worth of vintage nes junk... I decided of course to get a system, and refurbish it, a powerglove complete in the case, the zapper, the advantage, the max all of it great, and I figured this place would more than likely appreciate the fact that these old games are still being appreciated ...now it's been quite the hunt so far, but here are the games I've managed to land complete with box and instructions *deep breath*

A boy and his blob
adventures of dino riki
adventures of bayou billy
adventures of of tom sawyer
adventure island 1
adventure island 2
battle toads
batman
beetle juice
bill and teds
bionic commando
blaster master
burger time
castlevania
chip and dale
dash galaxy
dragon warrior
double dragon 2
duck tales
faxanadu
festers quest
friday 13th
gremlins 2
gauntlet 2
goonies 2
ironsword 2
kid icarus
little nemo the dream master
low g man
maniac mansion
mappy land
marble madness
mega man
mega man 2
mega man 3
mega man 4
mega man 5
mega man 6
metal gear
metroid
monster party
ninja gaiden
platoon
rampage
rc pro am
river city ransom (factory sealed ;) )
robo cop
rocketeer
simpsons bart vs the space mutants
skate or die
snakes revenge
strider
super mario 2
super mario 3
tail spin
tetris
the battle of olympus
tiny toons
top gun 2
tmnt
who framed roger rabbit
yo noid
zelda

heheh not too shabby for a week long collection, but the moral of this here story is that I actually have to dust my 360 twice a week to protect my investment where as i could throw my nes down the stairs and play it for hours afterward, and maybe enjoy it ....launch titles can be make or break and unless they gimme something fun within their first 6 months theyve surely lost my vote

Dirk the Daring
02-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Sweet!! Ya know, as cool and progressive the next gen consoles are going to be, ya still can't beat sitting down with a NES or N64 and killin' some time. Quite an impressive game list you have there, as well as hardware!!

ZTC
02-08-2006, 03:06 PM
impressive collection, I'll have to pull up a list of my Atari 2600 games whenever I get the chance...

koopa
02-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Impressive. Believe it or not, one of the main reasons I want a revolution is that you can play old (S)NES games on it! I've just been redoing smb3 (advance), I must say nothing beats the good old games.

MottZilla
02-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Damn, with box and instructions. o.O That's pretty cool man. And you're right, you can't top the NES. Esspecially since it's cheap, and has classic games you can't go wrong. Also the original has a feel you can't get from emulation.

I wouldn't buy an Xbox 360 until it's hacked and you can run emulators on it though. ;) Even then I might not bother. Now, the arcade Atomiswave System and Metal Slug 6 will probably cost as much if not more, and that's just one game. I'd totally buy that.

Cronic
02-08-2006, 05:39 PM
heh i dunno about cheap ....the mega man collection alone cost me a little over two hundred

Orion
02-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Impressive... but what does this have to do with the 360... other than you have to dust it every two weeks?

I do have to back up old games though... they really are so much more fun to play. I can play my old school games time and time again, whereas I'm lucky if I even have the patience to beat my new games.

Cronic
02-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Impressive... but what does this have to do with the 360... other than you have to dust it every two weeks?

i got them at the same time and yet oddly enough i'd rather visit old terrotory then chill on a jacked up xbox ...what i'm saying is game design has for the most part lost it's imagination...

Vagla
02-08-2006, 10:24 PM
A little over two hundred for the MM games? o_O Are they in prestine condition or something? I can't really imagine such a collection going for more than $150, but then again I haven't actually seen any single auction on eBay for the whole set of 6 with manuals and boxes. *shrugs*

I also can't imagine spending thousands of dollars on games. I'm definitely passing on an XBox 360 based on my time playtesting Perfect Dark Zero at Microsoft and the short time I spent playing the system at Best Buy recently. If I did have thousands to blow on gaming, it would be on arcade stuff; I'd like to get a 4 player cabinet, a vertical screen cabinet (or one with a rotating screen), and a bunch of stuff to modify controls so that the 4 player cab is compatible with most any horizontal screen game I can think of. I'd also be much more willing to spend more than $50 on an arcade board. :P But anyway, neat collection you've got there. I'm particularly fond of the Mega Man games, myself. Be sure to pick up a copy of Wily & Light's Rockboard: That's Paradise, a Monopoly-style Mega Man game, sometime. ;)

Regarding the game design comment, that's the sort of thing that really makes me anxious to get into the games industry. I'm hoping it won't be too much longer before I can actually make a commercial game, and it's comments like that that make me so excited to do game development because I'm aiming to make games with a lot of fun, unique aspects that I'm surprised haven't been incorporated into games yet. A lot of the concepts I have have a lot of unique aspects that I think would spice things up a lot, anyway. :) I definitely don't think game design as a whole has lost its imagination, and that's definitely evidenced by some of the great DS games I've been playing within the last year (Meteos, Kirby, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan, Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center), but there definitely is a lot of stuff out there that is pretty stale and unimaginative.

Have fun with your NES. Maybe next you'll be getting a Virtual Boy and most of the games for it? :D

Tygore
02-09-2006, 12:38 AM
i got them at the same time and yet oddly enough i'd rather visit old terrotory then chill on a jacked up xbox ...what i'm saying is game design has for the most part lost it's imagination...

I hear ya. The 360 (and from the looks of things the PS3) are really lacking in anything new. I've heard that a Sony rep was quoted saying that the PS3 was not a gaming machine. I'm hoping that the Revolution and its new controller will do SOMETHING, or else it could be the crash all over again.

Cronic
02-09-2006, 02:33 AM
ok if youre counting on the next nintendo sytem to be win the war let alone be in any way entertaining (I'm sorry guys the controller looks like little more than a corded dildo) than this is indeed a sad state of affairs ...The ps3 is gonna have metal gear and say what you will about the series hideo delivers when it comes to imagination and innovation so i'm not too worried about the ps3 I thnk it'll be a-ok

MottZilla
02-09-2006, 02:45 AM
Wow Valga, we are so similar. Although the Mega Man Collection costing that much was likely because they were all complete with box/instructions and not loose carts.

If I had the money for an Xbox 360 (400$) I too would pass, and buy something like arcade PCBs or an arcade cabinet. I might even be able to get a Metal Slug 6 with Atomiswave PCB for that much, though it'll probably cost more than that. ;p

I don't have much interest in the PS3. Infact to be honest I couldn't care less about the new systems. There is a lack of interest because of a lack of top notch quality games. Plus, there are a TON of quality games from the past I could play instead. I wanna get some boards like Marvel Vs. Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, and so forth.

Cloral
02-09-2006, 01:54 PM
For a while I didn't hardly get any new games and concentrated on classic games on my emulator. I guess I got tired of them, because I hardly ever play anything before the PS2 now. Though I will fire up Contra every now and again.

AlexMax
02-09-2006, 05:09 PM
You do know that you can probably sell the 360 on ebay for at least what you got it for. Some sections of the US are still 360-less.

That said, I understand completely how you feel. The coolest thing about the 360 right now is Xbox Live Arcade, but I feel like they're not putting enough games on it. None of the launch titles are worth the $400 you have to shell out for the system, and overall, there's not much on the 360 that's worth playing right now. I speak from a completely objective standpoint this time, because we all remember what happened last time.

Spend that money on a Nintendo DS and a few games. After the stupid decisions of the N64 and Gamecube, it's like Iwata taking over was a breath of fresh air. Granted, the DS had a dry spell of good games when it came out "Hey guys, it's Mario 64 with a terrible touch screen control system....guys? GUYS!?", but now it seems like they're getting into their groove. I already have 4 games for my DS and I can honestly say that I like every one of them. I just hope the Nintendo Wifi pans out past five games, because that infastructure has a huge amount of potential.

I might get a 360....in a few years. Unless the PS3 does something to really wow me, though, I'm not even considering it. I'm excited about the Revolution, but I'll wait for peoples reports of how it actually plays until getting one.

Oh, and people who are waiting until the 360 can run emulators.....um....why? Just get a normal Xbox for dirt cheap and do a soft-mod with an Action Replay and a copy of Mechassault. Bam, instant emulation, plus Xbox Media Center.

MottZilla
02-10-2006, 01:59 AM
Xbox can't emulate higher end systems and has trouble or can't emulate games with large memory requirements. Specifically MAME Taito F3 System games can't be emulated because they need quite a bit more than 64MB of RAM.

Grasshopper
02-10-2006, 03:13 PM
ok if youre counting on the next nintendo sytem to be win the war let alone be in any way entertaining (I'm sorry guys the controller looks like little more than a corded dildo) than this is indeed a sad state of affairs ...The ps3 is gonna have metal gear and say what you will about the series hideo delivers when it comes to imagination and innovation so i'm not too worried about the ps3 I thnk it'll be a-ok

I don't really think thats what was meant. I think its just in general. Hideo Kojima is a good developer, and I think MGS4 will turn out pretty good. Of course there will be developers who make some good stuff,...but MGS4 can't sell the PS3 alone. (Of course, we had Halo so who knows). And off course the PS3 will do good. Theres probably people on welfare that will buy a PS3 before buying soap, so yeah. I've seen a few. I like Nintendo but I still have less faith that they can pull this off as well as the others, vs MS or Sony. As far as the dildo comment, I hope they don't make dildos like that. Square with buttons and knobs....:tongue: