PDA

View Full Version : New RPG Computer game

Vivionsho
02-07-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm looking for a new RPG Computer game, anything would be nice lol suggestions accepted:D

ZTC
02-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Have you tried anything from SpiderWeb Software?
that would include the following series - Exile, Avernum, and Geneforge
Exile and Avernum are more akin to turn-based stragtey RPGs, and Geneforge keeps to the same formula; except characters are moving in real time (but battles are still turn-based)

codelinker
02-07-2006, 05:23 PM
You should try RO. It's a good RPG.

Archibaldo
02-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Go for World of Warcraft. It fucking awesome.

DarkDragoonX
02-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Have you tried anything from SpiderWeb Software?
that would include the following series - Exile, Avernum...

Somebody else with taste! Woot!

VI3T_DR@GON
02-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Guild Wars is good, it got the award for Best Online RPG of the Year award, I think.

Darth Marsden
02-10-2006, 05:12 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Final Fantasy yet.

Gets mobbed

Seriously, you might try the 'Tales of...' series, or Dragon Quest VIII. Also, if you're a Nintendo player, I hear the Fire Emblem series is a good bet. If you want more, here's a good place to look. (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/games.html)

Warlock
02-11-2006, 03:47 AM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Final Fantasy yet.

Gets mobbed

Seriously, you might try the 'Tales of...' series, or Dragon Quest VIII. Also, if you're a Nintendo player, I hear the Fire Emblem series is a good bet. If you want more, here's a good place to look. (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/games.html)

New RPG Computer game

-_-

Darth Marsden
02-11-2006, 11:08 AM
*Sigh*

Albion, Anachronox, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, Arx Fatalis, Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, BraveSoul, Breath of Fire IV, Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Diablo, Diablo II, Divine Divinity, Dungeon Lords, Dungeon Siege, Dungeoon Siege II, Elder Scrolls: The Arena, Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall, Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, Fable: The Lost Chapters, Fallout, Fallout II, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Freedom Force, Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich, Gothic, Gothic II, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale II, Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos, Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny, Lands of Lore III, Might of Magic, Might of Magic II, Might of Magic III, Might of Magic IV, Might of Magic: Darkside of Xeen, Might of Magic: The Mandate of Heaven, Might of Magic: For Blood and Honor, Might of Magic: Day of the Destroyer, Might of Magic IX, Neverwinter Nights, Nox, Pirates of the Caribbean, Planescape: Torment, Pool of Radiance, Quest for Glory: Dragon Fire, Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny, Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator, Silver, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, Summoner, System Shock, System Shock II, The Temple of Elemental Evil, Throne of Darkness, Ultima, Ultima II, Ultima III, Ultima IV, Ultima V, Ultima VI, Ultima VII: The Black Gate, Ultima VII: Serpent Isle, Ultima VIII, Ultima IX: Ascension, Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse

:)

Vivionsho
02-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Um..not to be rude or anything...but I was looking for information 1 game not like 30 of them with no information just names -_-

Anyway I have Guild Wars and have been playing for some time now, I play it whenever I get the chance...

Lol My signature has the face of my character on Guild Wars Actually, Vivionsho Celdone

WoW....pay to play hurts someone like me...but if it wasnt for the paying part I would get it...

And I think I wil check out those Titles posted by Cyborg! Sounds interesting to have a turn based RPG on Computer!

Thank you all!!

Darth Marsden
02-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Sorry, just proving a point.

For good old-fashioned turn based RPGs, the standard will probably always be Final Fantasy - 7 and 8 are on PC, with 11 being available in recent months. These are my favourite RPG types for some reason, which is a shame as they don't make many of them these days. It's all 'active time battles' now. Bah!

For D&D-style RPGs, pretty much anything by Bioware is a safe bet. The Baldur's Gate series is pretty stong on narrative, while the Icewind Dale games are less so. Planescape: Torment is simply amazing, and Neverwinter Nights is their first foray into 3D - it comes with it's own build tools and you'd be surprised how many other games have been remade using it. Also in the same vein, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 are both excellent games which are set thousands of years before the films. All these games have combat in real-ish time, but have a useful pause button so you can queue commands. Also they follow the standard D&D rules, but it's all behind the scenes and doesn't get in the way at all.

More Hack & Slash RPGs (Point, Click, Kill, Repeat) include the Dungeon Siege series, Diablo 1 & 2 and Nox, altough there's a bunch more if you look hard enough. Simple to play, they can get repetative, but it's all in the mind of the beholder.

First Person RPGs include the Deus Ex and System Shock series, which combine the standard FPS experience (Run, Shoot, Kill, etc) with an RPG levelling system (upgrades, stats, etc) to form an almost new genre. Alternatively, there's also normal turn based RPGs viewed from a first person perspective, the likes of which include the Lands of Lore trilogy and most of the earlier Might of Magics.

The games I've mentioned in this post are the one's I'd recommend if you're interested. Hope that's a bit more helpful then my last entry.

hobo 575
02-13-2006, 09:47 PM
i like runescape, fable, kotor, knight online,and the elder scrolls siries

ZTC
02-15-2006, 02:28 PM
Information on those games that I listed earler can be found at the following location
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/products.html
All of their games are shareware (try before you buy), and if you like them; it will be well worth it to purchace the keys for the games. (what's even better is that their games are for both Mac and PC)

here's descriptions for their games--

Exile: Escape from the Pit
Exile: Escape From the Pit is the first game in the Exile trilogy, which takes place in the strange subterranean world of Exile. Exile is populated by the misfits and malcontents of the surface world, people who were forever banished to the underworld for being too strange, or too antisocial, or having too many incorrect opinions.
This is the fate you have just suffered, and it is up to you what to do from here. Will you try to escape the strange prison of Exile, will you try to gain power and save your fellow exiles from the monsters that threaten them, or will you try to gain revenge on the Empire that cast you below? It's up to you!

Exile II: Crystal Souls
Exile II: Crystal Souls is the sequel to the shareware hit Exile: Escape From the Pit. Several years have passed since the events in the first game. Now, the Empire, the cruel monolithic nation ruling the surface world, has realized that Exile, the nation they created, has become highly dangerous. Their troops are now being teleported into Exile in great numbers, overwhelming the defenses of the beleagured souls below.

There is hope, though. It comes in the form of a new, bizarre race of creatures, who live in the deepest of the caves. Will you be able to summon aid to your cause, before every last soul in your homeland is wiped out?

Exile III: Ruined World
In Exile, you were cast down into the underworld by the Empire. In Exile II, you claimed the pit as your own, and fought off the Empire. In Exile III, your battle is to return home, to return to the surface and the sunlight you had thought lost forever. The problem - the surface is being destroyed, and nobody knows how or why. Move fast, or there will be nothing left for you to return to.

Blades of Exile
In Exile, you were cast into the underworld by the Empire. In Exile II, you claimed the pit as your own and fought off the Empire. In Exile III, you battled to return home, to return to the surface and the sunlight you thought you had lost forever. Now, with Blades of Exile, the adventures continue. On the surface, rebellion is brewing. In Exile, a new war is tearing the subterranean nation apart. There's plenty of war and strife, and plenty of chances for a band of adventurers to make their fortunes!
(note, in the full version, you can make your own adventures)

Nethergate
The time is 60 AD. The Roman Empire is at the height of its power, under the rule of the cruel Emperor Nero. The isle of Britannia is wracked by rebellion against its Roman masters, as the Celtic tribes ransack city after city.
In the depths of the wilderness, the village of Nethergate, forgotten and ignored, is hatching a conspiracy. They will conspire with the faery kingdoms, the dark, secret, wild powers, to destroy their Roman conquerors. Magic is dying, but there is enough of it left to put an end the the Empire. Your job is to help them. Or, your job is to stop them.
In Nethergate, the newest role-playing game from Spiderweb Software, the makers of the award-winning Exile series, you can play as either the Romans or the Celts, seeing both sides of this epic battle. The quests, puzzles, and the way the characters react to you will be completely different. It's like two games in one!

Avernum
You have been banished to the underworld, never to see the light of day again.

You have been cast down into the dark, volcanic pits of Avernum, filled with foul monsters, constant warfare, and thousands and thousands of your fellow prisoners. This is your punishment for not fitting in, for speaking out against the powers that be, for being an inconvenience to the government of the cruel Emperor Hawthorne. You have been sentenced to life imprisonment in the caverns, eventually to die there, forgotten and unmourned.
But you need not accept your fate. There are those who wish to struggle against this injustice, who wish to return to the surface world and to fight against tyranny. But first, they need a hero, they need inspiration, and, most of all, they need someone who can find an escape route. Can you help them?
Will you be the first person to escape from Avernum?

Avernum 2
Avernum is a prison. It is an enormous warren of tunnels and caverns, far below the surface world. You were banished there by the cruel Empire, to spend the rest of your life in the underworld. At first, it seemed like you and your many fellow prisoners might be able to form a nation and live in peace, far from the sun.
Then a group of adventurers from Avernum assassinated Hawthorne, the emperor of the Empire. Now the forces of the Empire are rampaging through your underground home, killing everyone they find. As things stand, the nation of Avernum, and all in it, are doomed.
But then you, lowly soldiers stationed at the most remote of forts, get a chance to change things. A series of unexpected events gives you the chance to explore unimagined realms, meet strange alien creatures, and maybe, with luck and cunning, save your people from certain doom.

Avernum 3
Avernum was a prison, an enormous warren of tunnels and caverns, far below the surface world. The surface is ruled by the Empire, the all-powerful masters of the known world. Misfits, petty criminals, and those with the wrong opinions were sent into Avernum for the rest of their lives. At least, that’s what happened once.
Then the Avernites assassinated the leader of the Empire and spent years in a brutal war with the surface tyrants. The Avernite rebels won. Now, at last, they are beginning their campaign to leave their caves and return to the surface.
You are the scouts. You will be the first envoys to the surface. Instead of the sunlit paradise you dreamed of, you will find a world ravaged by mysterious plagues and hordes of bizarre monsters. Soon, the Empire will ask you to help solve the problem. Your enemies will become your allies as you race to find the source of the destruction.
Fail, and you will never return to the surface. There will be nothing left to return to.

Avernum 4 (Mac ONLY, for now)
Avernum is a nation underground. Its pale people live in endless miles of tunnels, pits, and gigantic caverns. Some come to Avernum to work the mines. Others come to hunt monsters for their treasure. And some risk life in the underworld because it is the only place where a person can be free from the total rule of the Empire.
But life in Avernum just became a lot more dangerous. All at once, everything has gone wrong. The savages and dark creatures of the lower tunnels, once beaten into submission, have returned. Gigantic beasts, shielded by powerful magic, have taken up residence in the cities, wandering and killing at random. And normally peaceful citizens have been afflicted by a strange, overwhelming paranoia, making even regular townsfolk unpredictable and dangerous.
Nobody knows why these disasters have occurred. But you, through good luck (or bad), have stumbled upon a clue. And thus, you become involved in a shadowy war and a deadly struggle, which will take you through strange lands, bandit cities, and the darkest depths of the underworld. Your mission: discover who has attacked your homeland, and stop them. Before everything falls apart.

Blades of Avernum
In A Small Rebellion, you are sent to infiltrate and destroy a band of rebels against the Empire. The question: will you fight them, or join them? In The Valley of Dying Things, you delve deep into an enormous, abandoned school of magic, looking for the secret to a deadly plague.
In The Za-Khazi Run, you rocket down a subterranean river, racing against time to reinforce a besieged fort. First, though, you must outwit the many powerful, bizarre creatures living along the route. And in Diplomacy With the Dead, you have to help a remote city deal with the powerful vampire who lives just outside town. This turns out to be much more complicated than it sounds.
And, when you have won these adventures, the promise of more free fun on the net means that your journey need never end. Anyone can use Blades of Avernum's editor to make fascinating adventures with cunning characters. Deal with monsters that work together and send out patrols to hunt you. Fight deadly bosses that summon aid, flee when they're outmatched, and surprise you with all sorts of nasty tricks.
Blades of Avernum is limited only by the imagination of the designers. It will be the nastiest and most clever adventure makers versus you. And you aren't going to let them win.
Are you?

Geneforge
Geneforge is our newest fantasy role-playing game with a science fiction twist. In Geneforge, you are free to choose what your overall goal is, and you can seek after it with your own horde of deadly, mutant monsters.
You are a Shaper, a member of the most powerful and secretive of the magical guilds. You have the power to create life and mold it to serve your own needs. For millennia, your world feared and respected the Shapers above all others. Their creations could go everywhere, do anything, all according to the wishes of the Shapers and no others.
If you need a servant, you simply create it, and it will gladly die for you.
But now the secrets of your people are at risk. Someone dares to try to steal the power of the Shapers and take it for his own. He has committed the ultimate crime: he has captured you, and he will do anything to get you to surrender your secrets.
Fight with DraykHe would use the power of the Shapers to remake the world. The question is a simple one. Will you fight him? Or join him?

Geneforge 2
You are an apprentice Shaper. You are being given the power to create life and mold it to serve your own needs. The whole world fears and respects the Shapers. Your secrets are many, and your power is absolute.
If you need a servant, you have but to create it, and it will gladly die for you.
But when you and your teacher are sent on what seems to be a simple mission, things go horribly wrong. Monsters roam the countryside. Your allies turn on you. Your teacher disappears. And you find yourself in the middle of a conspiracy to use forbidden powers and overthrow Shaper rule.
Many factions want your help. All have their own rewards to offer. Will you stay loyal to your people? Or will you fight to remake the world?

Geneforge 3
You have been chosen. You are one of the precious few who will be allowed to become a Shaper. You will be given the power to create life and mold it to serve your own needs. The whole world fears and respects the Shapers. Your secrets are many, and your power is absolute.

But then, the disaster happened. Your school was attacked and destroyed. Rebels and monsters begin roaming the lands, challenging the rule of the Shapers, bringing fire and destruction with them. On your own, in a foreign land, you will have to attain power, find allies, and discover a way to defeat the rebels.

Or perhaps, you will join the rebels instead. Because, for some reason, they seem very eager to recruit you ...
(taken from Spiderware Software's site)

DarkDragoonX
02-16-2006, 03:20 AM
It should be noted that Avernum is nothing more than a remake of Exile... the graphics are much better, and the gameplay has been greatly simplified. If you don't have a love for very old-school gameplay, stick with Avernum. Exile is the better game, though.

Darth Marsden
02-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Just found this site (http://www.acid-play.com/list/role-playing,1.php) with a bunch of freeware RPGs - there's some good stuff there.

ONeilcool
02-16-2006, 08:09 PM
onrpg.com is also a pretty good site for rpgs

I just started playing this game turf battles, its a free rpg if you looking in that route

turfbattles.com

cbailey78
02-17-2006, 10:37 PM
"You should try RO. It's a good RPG" by codelinker

Hey, codelinker, post a link to it and people won't have to waste their time searching for it! :)

vegeta1215
02-18-2006, 01:08 AM
"You should try RO. It's a good RPG" by codelinker

Hey, codelinker, post a link to it and people won't have to waste their time searching for it! :)

If you would bother to search for it yourself, I wouldn't have to waste my time on this post: http://iro.ragnarokonline.com/ (I think that's the game you're talking about)