PDA

View Full Version : Kof

ZTC
02-07-2006, 12:31 PM
I've been trying this series recently on Kawaks and I've found that I'm beginning to notice that I like SNK better than Capcom. So far I've beaten 94-97 and 2K4SE, I'm currently working on 98. Since I've played the previous AoF & Fatal Fury games, the stories make a bit more sense then they did when I first played KOF94. This would be the first series that I discovered the use of "team play". First team I ever played to completition in 94 - Heidern, Ralf, and Clark. Since I saw the ending, decided to try 95, then 96, and so on. It's been quite a while since I've found a really addictive fighting series. Got a few questions about the roms though...
My copy of 98 says that it's a version with a "censored M1", what makes it different from the orignal?
Wtf is with KOF2004 Special Edition, I've found it to only work with NeoRage (not that I mind that much), with some of the stuff that's contained (no music for Rugal, the flashing women), is this a hack based off of a previous rom?

MottZilla
02-08-2006, 02:15 AM
I really like KoF. First to your questions.

Censored M1 must mean that it's not quite the same as the original kof98 release. You should really look for MAME compliant NeoGeo roms. This way you can be 100% certain you aren't playing some hack. KoF2004, if you are playing that in NeoRageX, it's a hack. Infact anything newer than 1998 is more than likely a hack if you use NeoRageX. Some might just be with decrypted graphics roms, but alot are bootlegs. If you want quality and fast NeoGeo emulation, get FinalBurnAlpha. It won't support newer games that are ussually bootleg anyway.

I actually just bought an arcade NeoGeo MVS MotherBoard and a King of Fighters 99' MVS Cartridge so once I have an arcade system I can play the original on real hardware. =)

ZTC
02-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Hell, I've just downloaded FBA yesterday; whenever I get the time, I'm gonna install it and compare it to my other Neo emus. That and I'll have to go to my regular "places" and see if I can find the MAME-complient versions. Speaking of 99, I just got copy with the decrypted Cs. I've found the gameplay to be a bit different with the redone "max" system and the addition of the Strikers, but still fun as hell.

MottZilla
02-08-2006, 04:40 PM
I didn't find it much different at all other than that it's one of the better KoF games. I really like 98 and 99 best. 00 and beyond they lost me. Esspecially with that "Zero" boss in 2000. Ultra cheap. Atleast you can beat 98 and 99 with some skill. 00 seems like you need alot of luck. I think I briefly played 2k1, didn't care much for it. Don't recall any 2k2 or 2k3. I'm pretty sure any 2k4 is actually some kind of bootleg and not a real game. But I could be wrong.

ZTC
02-08-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm pretty sure any 2k4 is actually some kind of bootleg and not a real game. But I could be wrong.

I've noticed a listing in WinKawaks "kof2k4spe" (hack), so it is most likely a hack; besides, I don't think SNK would condone women flashing people in one of the stages :rolleyes:
So far my favorites are 96,98,99,94,95, and 2k4 in that order. Once I go through a few runs with the teams, I'm gonna try my luck at single fighter play and see how that works out.