PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon filled with "Leave money or Life" rooms

Nimono
02-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Is it bad to have a dungeon with many Leave money or Life rooms? I won't make EVERY room in this dungeon this type of room, as most of them will have enemies in them. But I also want people to have a bit of a hard time getting through this dungeon if they don't have a lot of money. Also, each dungeon in my quest has at least ONE room with a lot of pots, which I call "refill rooms". Because of this, you can get a lot of Rupees easy. So, is my idea bad or not?

WindStrike
02-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend putting too many in the dungeon. If you give me some more specifics on the size of the dungeon, the number of refill rooms, and how much money those rooms take away, then I might be able to give a better number than a max of 3.

Nimono
02-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Okay, the dungeon is pretty small. It's only 19 rooms (and my other 2 dungeons are MUCH larger). Also, each room only takes away 1 Heart Container/Rupee, as you only have AT LEAST 5 hearts in the dungeon, since it's Level 3. And because it's Level 3, the enemies aren't TOO hard...

Edit: Also, Level 1 has 3 refill rooms, Level 2 has 2, and Level 3 will probably have around 3, seeing as there's rooms that take your money.

Rakki
02-05-2006, 05:58 AM
How many rupees are you planning for each room to ask? I ask because I doubt you mean 1 (since you said 1 HC/Rupee). :p

ShadowTiger
02-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Well, why would you have any at all? :odd: It's not really advisable to do that under ordinary dungeon circumstances. Now, if you were doing something like a "Balancer" dungeon, where you could either gradually drain your wallet like, at 75 rupees a pop, or spend a a Heart Container and keep your 75 rupees, you can arrive at (And remain at.) a new world with the stats you had decided to keep, and without the stats you decided to leave. If you were unwise enough to not pick up rupees along the way, you'd have to leave off all your heart containers, which are permanently lossed. :shrug:

Nimono
02-05-2006, 05:25 PM
How many rupees are you planning for each room to ask? I ask because I doubt you mean 1 (since you said 1 HC/Rupee). :p
They take away 1 Heart Container or Rupee PER ROOM. So far, there's only 3, so you'd lose either 3 HCs or 3 Rupees. But I like the other idea.

ZeldaLord
02-05-2006, 05:59 PM
There are far better ways of creating challenge in a dungeon. Forcing the player to go back and forth stocking up on rupees is more likely to frustrate them than anything else.

A more subtle thing to do would be to make it hard for the player to complete the dungeon without a certain item (swords are usually the easiest for this, but most quest designers already have plan for those), which is up for sale in a shop at a high price. This has the additional effect of giving the player more freedom. Zelda 4 does this quite effectively with the bow.

Nimono
02-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Zelda 4? I've never played that game, so I wouldn't know what you're talking about. But you've just given me an idea on what to do with the bait you can buy from the first shop.... I'll try that. Thanks.

Questwizard88
02-05-2006, 06:19 PM
I would go with 2 at most in such a small dungeon. That's the most I've ever done, and it worked out fine in a test quest I made a couple of months ago, which did have 9 full dungeons, and a full overworld. If the rooms are not required to be gone through to beat the dungeon, you could probably go with as many as you feel like.

Nimono
02-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Well, you have to pass them to beat the dungeon, plus, I'm throwing in the Super Bomb there. Of course, you'll only have one, and it's the first one you get in a LONG time in the game, so if you misuse it, too bad for you. You gotta restart. Unless you find a secret path, which isn't gonna happen. I'll make sure of that.

ZeldaLord
02-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Zelda 4? I've never played that game, so I wouldn't know what you're talking about.

Zelda 4 required the bow to complete level 6. The bow is on sale since just before level 3 (at the latest) for 990 rupees, which indicates to the player that they should start saving for it because they're bound to need it at sometime or another.
Effectively, you needed to save up 990 rupees to complete level 6, but it was implemented in such a way that it felt like it had a purpose, rather than running around pointlessly collecting rupees to get past a dungeon room.

Nimono
02-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Ooh! I might make something like that in my quest. Although.... The game COULD get annoying since almost all dungeons lead to new areas. For example, you have to go through level 1 to get to the path to level 2, you have to get through level 3 to get towards levels 4 and 5, etc. It's even annoying to me! I guess that's my cue to put the Whistle in level 4 so you can warp between each section of the overworld. That way, you can use the whistle to appear outside exit 2 of level 1, and so on.