PDA

View Full Version : Apple Sued Over IPod Causing Hearing Loss

Monica
02-03-2006, 08:48 PM
A man who has obviously not heard of a device called the volume control has filed a class action suit against Apple Computer, saying the company has failed to take adequate steps to prevent hearing loss among iPod users.

The suit, filed Tuesday in US District Court in San Jose, California., charges that the iPod music player can produce sounds of up to 115 decibels even though some studies suggest that listening to music at that level for 28 seconds a day can cause damage over time.

The suit, filed on behalf of John Kiel Patterson and all other iPod buyers, seeks monetary damages to compensate for the hearing loss suffered by iPod users, as well as a share of Apple's iPod profits.

The suit also seeks to force Apple to offer a software upgrade to limit the iPod's output to 100 decibels as well as provide headphones designed to block out external noise.

"Millions of consumers have had their hearing put at risk by Apple's conduct," the suit states.

An Apple representative declined to comment. The company has faced other suits over the iPod, including one over complaints that the devices scratch too easily. Apple reached a settlement in another case, related to the battery life of early iPods.

The latest court action follows several news articles quoting hearing experts who warn that prolonged digital music player use at high volumes may put people at risk of hearing loss.

Apple does caution customers in its iPod user manual, with a section labelled "Avoid Hearing Damage."

"Warning: Permanent hearing loss may occur if earphones or headphones are used at high volume," Apple states in the manual. "You can adapt over time to a higher volume of sound, which may sound normal but can be damaging to your hearing. Set your iPod's volume to a safe level before that happens."

The suit charges that the warning from Apple is inadequate because it fails to advise people what constitutes a "high volume" or a "safe level."

Apple was forced to limit the output of iPods to 100 decibels in France, although the suit claims that Apple has not done so in the U.S. and that even that level is "still not safe."

Patterson's suit cites National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health data that sets a safe exposure limit for noise of 85 decibels for eight hours a day. For each 5-decibel increase, the safe exposure time drops by half, the suit says.

The suit was brought by lawyers at Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro, one of two firms that filed the iPod scratching suit, on behalf of a man in the state of Louisiana..

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/02/03/1138836399337.html

Another idiot from my state...>_< I don't have an IPod, I have a Philips, but isn't it common knowlege that loud music causes eventual hearing loss?

Archibaldo
02-03-2006, 09:34 PM
What the hell is wrong with the people in the US? In Canada if you went to court with a case like that... well, I don't even think you would even have a case. It's like that lady who sued McDonalds when she spilled coffee on herself. WTF?

AtmaWeapon
02-03-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm pretty sure the case will fail; I know my MP3 player came with plenty of warnings in the instructions about hearing loss, even the earbuds had a warning on the package.

Of course, if his point that the warning is not on the ipod itself then he might have a case. I would hope in response Apple would make a firmware upgrade that would do a stupid "THIS CAN HURT YOU" screen like on GBA and DS games, rather than continue to ruin the styling of the iPod.

Lilith
02-03-2006, 11:57 PM
What the fuck? Listening to ANYTHING at a loud level for a long time causes hearing loss o-O

Rainman
02-04-2006, 01:26 AM
Ipod probably should have limited the volume a bit. It's not like people can accurately determine volume level. Of course this is like telling car companies to limit speed to only below 55 mph. Not going to happen.

algam86
02-04-2006, 01:34 AM
Dumb. People must generally be getting stupider or something... though it's not the first time I heard about someone who's suing a company because something easily controllable happened to them...

I'm pretty sure not being able to hear anything around you while people three feet away can hear your headphones is too loud for you. If you're suffering hearing loss, it's most likely your fault. They don't put those fancy dials and buttons on these things for decoration. Turn the freakin' volume down!

On a side note, it'd be nice to know how much to adjust that knob so it's a 'safe level'. Or maybe implement a feature that warns people when the volume's getting to be a bit much...

Dart Zaidyer
02-04-2006, 01:46 AM
HEALTH AND SAFETY WARNING
People who turn their volume way the hell up (Approximately
1 in 20 Americans and 3 out of 5 Mexicans according to roadside surveys)
have been known to suffer hearing loss as a result of listening to music.
If you begin experiencing headaches, ear bleeding, swollen eyeballs,
or further decrease in IQ, discontinue playing immediately and seek
common sense.

Tap screen to continue.

algam86
02-04-2006, 01:56 AM
HEALTH AND SAFETY WARNING
People who turn their volume way the hell up (Approximately
1 in 20 Americans and 3 out of 5 Mexicans according to roadside surveys)
have been known to suffer hearing loss as a result of listening to music.
If you begin experiencing headaches, ear bleeding, swollen eyeballs,
or further decrease in IQ, discontinue playing immediately and seek
common sense.

Tap screen to continue.

:laughing: Thank you. Though, knowing parents' they'll get all paranoid and sue Apple again for use of the 'h' word...Even though the kids've probably heard everything a million times.

Lilith
02-04-2006, 07:03 AM
Actually the highest ipod level doesn't hurt my ears at all. I'm pretty desensitized though, but I thought it was soft. The bass-boost doesn't go too high either, and that's what usually fucks up your hearing the most.

ZTC
02-04-2006, 10:25 AM
Another idiot from my state...>_< I don't have an IPod, I have a Philips, but isn't it common knowlege that loud music causes eventual hearing loss?

yes, another idiot comes out of the woodwork for another f'ing stupid lawsuit

vegeta1215
02-04-2006, 01:28 PM
I heard about this the other day. Yeah, it's pretty stupid. Any kind of portable music device could cause hearing damage, CD and cassette players included. I think the iPod has just become a target because it's so popular. It doesn't help that the iPod headphones fit right into your ear though. (btw those headphones suck)

Jigglysaint
02-04-2006, 02:13 PM
You know the big problem is that many people are illiterate, and wouldn't be able to read such a warning unless they got their mommy to read it to them. In these cases I think they've got to lower the volume level, sort of like how parents force decisions upon their children to keep them from getting killed(and in the US, some parents get THAT wrong).

Then again, why would anybody need the volume up that high unless they allready have hearing loss? What about people who are hearing impared anyway who would want a higher volume setting?

It doesn't matter to me, I find hearing aids to be a turn on. Crank up the volume!

ZTC
02-04-2006, 02:17 PM
It doesn't help that the iPod headphones fit right into your ear though. (btw those headphones suck)

it's been proven that the headphones that go straight into the ears are more damaging than other types