PDA

View Full Version : Happy new year!

koopa
01-29-2006, 08:35 AM
Chinese new year, that is. 29th January 2006 is the first day of

Year 4704, the Year of the Dog

People born in the Year of the Dog possess the best traits of human nature. They have a deep sense of loyalty, are honest, and inspire other people's confidence because they know how to keep secrets. But Dog People are somewhat selfish, terribly stubborn, and eccentric. They care little for wealth, yet somehow always seem to have money. They can be cold emotionally and sometimes distant at parties. They can find fault with many things and are noted for their sharp tongues. Dog people make good leaders. They are compatible with those born in the Years of the Horse, Tiger, and Rabbit.
Many superstitions are associated with new year:

The first person one meets and the first words heard are significant as to what the fortunes would be for the entire year. It is a lucky sign to see or hear songbirds or red-colored birds or swallows.

It is considered unlucky to greet anyone in their bedroom so that is why everyone, even the sick, should get dressed and sit in the living room.

Do not use knives or scissors on New Year's Day as this may cut off fortune.

It is unlucky to sweep the floor during the first five days of the lunar New Year, because one might accidentally sweep one's good luck and wealth out of the house.

Joss sticks and altar candles must be kept burning day and night to encourage longevity.

Everyone should refrain from using foul language and bad or unlucky words. Negative terms and the word "four" (Ssu), which sounds like the word for death, are not to be uttered. Death and dying are never mentioned and ghost stories are totally taboo. References to the past year are also avoided as everything should be turned toward the New Year and a new beginning.

If you cry on New Year's day, you will cry all through the year. Therefore, children are tolerated and are not spanked, even though they are mischievous.

For those most superstitious, before leaving the house to call on others, the Almanac should be consulted to find the best time to leave the home and the direction which is most auspicious to head out.

Let me wish you all a Kung Hei Fat Choy! (Happy New Year!)

ShadowTiger
01-29-2006, 01:27 PM
I was moments away from making this same topic. o_o' Glad to see we have someone who cares enough to make it first. :thumbsup: You're the man, koopa. Tenfold; quite.

Happy Year Of The Dog, everyone! :kawaii: Now if you'll excuse me, I have a few friends I need to wish a happy New Year to, as well as invite them out for a Chinese All You Can Eat Buffet. $18 for fifty pounds of Sushi. Life does not get much better than that.