PDA

View Full Version : ocarina warp...

*b*
01-29-2006, 05:10 AM
I'm curious, how, exactly, does the ocarina warp system work? I never really gave it much thought, and my quest is based on getting items at the ends of dungeons, not Triforce pieces, which is how I assume it works

my theory is, when the whistle is used, the program checks for triforce pieces obtained, and warps Link to the location associated with that triforce piece. however, that wouldn't work, because the Triforce number is based on how many you have, not which dungeon you got it from. and how would the warps work with the 3 or 6 Triforce quest rule enabled? needless to say, this confuses me

if one of the developers could explain the process to me, it would be greatly appreciated

[edit] also, if there is something that prevents the whistle warps from working with my quest, is there some way to disable them altogether, and use the whistle simply for activating secret combos?

Nicholas Steel
01-29-2006, 05:20 AM
i think it works on which dungeons have been beaten rather then how many triforce pieces you currently have.

meaning if you beat dungeon 1 then warp 1 is now active. if dungeon 3 is also done then warps 1 and 3 are both active.

*b*
01-29-2006, 05:37 AM
you mean, with the DMap number? that makes sense. that also makes it a bit harder to have a day/night system, as well as whistle warps

I'd still like this confirmed by a developer, whenever possible

Rakki
01-29-2006, 05:44 AM
I know you're still waiting on a developer's reply here, and I'm sorry I can't give you that since I am not such, but as long as you aren't getting Triforce pieces in the dungeons, the whirlwind will not come whenever you blow the whistle. Of course, this will not work if you do use Triforce pieces in the quest at some point, as far as I know. But franpa is correct about how it knows where to take you, from an effect standpoint. It takes you to the whistle warp locations of the same numbers of the Dmaps you have gotten Triforce pieces from.

Nicholas Steel
01-29-2006, 06:12 AM
thanks for the update i have updated above by reposting what i said below...

i think it works on which dmap the triforce is situated in
meaning if you collect triforce piece 1 on dmap 1 then dmap 1's warp is now active. if triforce piece 3 is collected from dmap 3 in addition to triforce piece 1 then dmap 1 warp and dmap 3 warp's are both active.

one whistle warp per dmap.

erm2003
01-29-2006, 11:08 AM
I don't think it's really DMap that we are talking about here. Remember that each level for the triforce must be a number from 1-8. That not only corresponds to the triforce piece number for the subscreen, but the whistle location as well. So for example, if you could beat the levels out of order, and you beat level 2 first and had the whistle, you would have triforce piece #2 on the subscreen and your whistle will warp you to location #2 because you have that piece. You can't warp to location #1 until you get that piece of the triforce.

Now when the Big Triforce piece rule is in effect, the first triforce piece gives you pieces 1 and 5, so that might open up BOTH whistle warps. I am not completely positive on that, but it makes sense to me. The 3-6 rule simply means that you only have to have those number of pieces to enter the final level and get past the triforce guy. It should have no effect over the whistle warps unless you limit the triforce pieces in the quest.

Hopefully this is clear and I hope it helps out.

Rakki
01-29-2006, 09:58 PM
It is Dmaps we're talking about here, erm2003. You have to be on Dmap 1-8 to be able to collect a Triforce piece and have it count (and enable the whistle warp in the process). If you try to get a Triforce piece on say, Dmap 9, it won't be added to the inventory, and you still won't be taken anywhere from a whistle warp.

Questions
01-29-2006, 10:43 PM
You have be on a DMap with THE LEVEL NUMBER being 1-8. It has nothing to do with Dmap numbers themselves, just the level number.

Anyway whistle warps. There's a variable that remember the last level warped to using the whistle. It starts at 1 and when you whistle warp successfully it'll either increase or decrease depending on the direction Link is facing when he blew the whistle.

I think it's Right and up is increase and left and down is decrease. So if you last whistle warped to Level 5, you have completeing Levels 1-5 and you use the whistle facing right you'll warp to Level 1.

EDIT: Erm you are not correct about the Big Triforce pieces theory. It will only warp you based on the Level number used. So if you used 1 it will only warp you to WW 1even though the Level 5 five triforce piece is filled.

erm2003
01-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Actually, after double checking a few tutorials, the whistle warps are indeed tied to the level number on the dmap, not the dmap number itself. My quest has the overworld as dmap 1, not my first level, and the whistle works fine. They are tied in to the level number and if you have the triforce piece from that level.

EDIT: Questions you beat me to it! And thanks for specifiying on the Big Triforce pieces because it may be a rule I want to use in the future.

Rakki
01-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Oh, whoops, guess I forgot about level numbers. Sorry erm.

Questions
01-29-2006, 10:53 PM
I've done lots of research on whistle warps. ;)

*b*
01-29-2006, 11:33 PM
I figured it was the level number. thanks for all your help, guys

DarkFlameWolf
01-30-2006, 12:02 AM
dang, got here late. But to put it simply. The warps check the level number on the dmap for their reference. And for them to be active, a triforce must have been acquired in those level number dmaps. Hope that was simple.