PDA

View Full Version : Wind Fish's Question Thread

Wind Fish
01-27-2006, 10:54 AM
1) Can I make a sword (just the master sword, but if I can't, then all of them) that has a 180 degree sweep, can fire a small shockwave instead of a sword beam?

2)Can I change the animation for something like the candle but still have a different sprite for din's fire, or the fire from the fire rod? Can I change its range as well?

3)How do I flip sprites when modifiying the pallete?

4)Can I change the cost (money/magic) of an arrow (or type of arrow)?

5)Can I change the width of Item attacks to be more than one tile?

6)Can I have an item in the inventory that represents a totally different sprite when actually used?

7)How do I make a cave, or for that matter anything, below a bombable overworld tile?
You don't have to answer these all at once! Any bit of help is greatly appreciated!
<edited to stuff more questions in>

rocksfan13
01-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Try this thread for your questions. It's the instructions to a tutorial.

http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=88488

If there are still things you don't understand, then post it.

Wind Fish
01-27-2006, 02:49 PM
I've already used Alphadawg's tutorial: It let me make about 7 overworld's and a dungeon.

rocksfan13
01-27-2006, 03:05 PM
1. You can't make the swords sweep a 180, but you can change the beam. You just need to change the beam tile for that sprite.

2. There is a sprite for the fire under weapons. That changes the way the fire looks from the candle and wand. The effect range you cannot change. As for the din's fire, the animation you can change.

4. Yes. Go to shop types and select a number and specify the amount for the item, then assign the shop with that number.

5. No.

6. Yes, change the sprite designation in the sprite list.

Wind Fish
01-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Hmm, you're not quite grasping my aim here. Allow me to rephrase:

1)Since I apparently cannot make a 180 sweep but can modify the sword beam sprite, how can I do this? Where is the tile in the palette that controls the beam animation?

2)There is an identical sprite for each of the following items:
Din's fire
Candle
Magic Rod
My question is, can I edit each animation separately without affecting either one of the other animations
Furthermore, please tell me which tiles control these in-battle fire animations, so that I may modify them.

4) (money/magic) refers to the cost of using the item in combat. For example, the each arrow currently costs 1 rupee to fire, and each use of the candle soaks up magic.
Can I bring the monetary in-battle cost of the arrow to 0, and instead substitute a reduction of magic?

6) So, changing the sprite designation for, say, the arrow will not modify the sprite displayed after firing an arrow?

rocksfan13
01-27-2006, 04:32 PM
1.The tiles for the sword beams animation are the 2 tiles right after the sword tiles. Edit those and they will change.

2. The candle and wand fire are both the same tile and animation you chose for fire weapon. You can make the tile anywhere you want. All you need to do is designate it in the sprite list.
Din's fire is it's own sprite and animation. Use the same method.

4.No, unfortunately. They are changing that in the new 2.11, but it's not ready yet.

6. Yes it will. There is a tile for that as well.

Wind Fish
01-27-2006, 10:58 PM
8) I tried to change tiles for link's north walk, but the program flipped out on me and it's now an upside-down heart and ruppe animation for some reason. Plus, It won't let me toggle the color of the sprites I want to select! Help!

firefly
01-27-2006, 11:05 PM
It seems to be the legendary "BS-animation bug", If you had a backup open it or if you haven't saved it yet, DON'T SAVE IT!!!.

Wind Fish
01-28-2006, 11:12 AM
It seems I didn't save that. Thank God!
So....
8) How can I toggle the color and sprite for the link animations?

firefly
01-28-2006, 11:50 AM
You can't, Link animations always use CSet 6 if you have no ring, you'll have to edit them manually in the tiles menu.

Wind Fish
01-28-2006, 12:30 PM
I see. Thanks.

9)How do I turn the strange vibratto off on the in-game music? The files themselves are all right but the game interprets them differently.

Shoelace
01-28-2006, 03:33 PM
That is called the midi bug. You can press Tab-Alt to get out of the program and go back in, and it will fix the music for a little bit. However, this bug his been fixed in the later beta. <-- Just can't wait until a stable release is released. :P

Wind Fish
01-28-2006, 05:33 PM
so,
8) How do I toggle the sprites for Link?

firefly
01-28-2006, 05:47 PM
It seems that you will not be able until 2.11, can't wait!!!

Wind Fish
01-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Ah! I figured out how to change the colors for link:just switch around two color schemes (w/c & v) after pressing "edit" and then "main" while editing a sprite. But Firefly, I'm sure you can change the link tiles, 'cause I've seen quests that have mario as the main character!
Someone, please tell me how this is done!

firefly
01-29-2006, 02:48 PM
I think it's made in other versions, you can make Link's sprites in 1.92 beta 183, and then, open and continue the quest in 2.10, that way you get rid of the BS-animation Bug.

Wind Fish
01-29-2006, 07:51 PM
ok, I've got some new obstacles...

3)How do I flip sprites when modifiying the pallete?

7)How do I make a cave, or for that matter anything, below a bombable overworld tile?

9) I tried placeing an overhead tile down with tansparent parts, but I can't figure out how to put another tile underneath, so link can walk in between them.

10)Some quests have cinimatics: How can I do this?

11)There are quests that also have tile warp puzzles like the ones in LTTP. How do I designate a warp for each separate stair?

12)I fail to understand the relationship between warps and their location. They almost never warp to the space displayed when I press the 'go' button, and aren't related to the screen coordinate number in the bottom left of zquest.

13)When I have a bunch of scrolling warps on the same dmap (set to 0), the game gets really confused and gets half the warps wrong, and even inserts new ones! What should I do here?

Questions
01-29-2006, 10:33 PM
3) You mean the tile editor (pallette refers to a group with subgroups (csets) of 16 colors) If so...
H - Flips Horizantly
V - Flips Vertically
R - Rotates

7) Secret combos. Place the bomb flag where you want to be able to bomb and go Data -> Secret Combos, choose the bomb tab, and fill both slots with the cave entrance combo

9) Layers: Check Idontknows tutorial on this

10) I wouldn't suggest doing this until you know VERY WELL what you're doing

11) Can you give some examples of quest that do this?

12) For all dmap types other than overworld go to the Dmap editor and use the coordinates shown there. With numbers on the vertical axis being the first digit and numbers on the horizantal axis being the second digit (example if the number on the left is 7 and on top is three to get the screen I want I use 73)

13) You don't need to side warp to every screen. ZC is automactically programmed to think that if link goes off the edge of one screen he is transferred to the next screen.

Rakki
01-29-2006, 11:25 PM
so,
8) How do I toggle the sprites for Link?
To change Link's sprites, you HAVE to edit the default Link tiles to what you want them to look like. To edit them, go to "Quest -> Graphics -> Tiles" and edit them there. If you want to use BS Zelda animation (3 frames of animation instead of 2), you have to start a new quest in ZQuest version 1.92 beta 183, enable the rule, save the quest, and then open it up in version 2.10 and continue from there.

Edit: Oh yeah, and after you change these tiles, do NOT "set" Link's tiles to these numbers, otherwise you'll just get the messed up heart tile showing up. Simply edit the tiles themselves and save the quest, then it'll work.

Wind Fish
02-02-2006, 04:49 PM
8)Yeah, that works flawlessly

10) Are you supposed to make all overhead tiles, and have link in an enclosed space so when you're prompted to press down the screen changes? Maybe stuff a guy in there to prompt text?

11) A screenshot for knit knight academy seemed to have one. Maybe not.

12)Trouble is, the problem's on the overworld. Is the method any different? There's a coordinate plain showing where you continue and stuff...

13) No, you see I'm making a lost woods type area on the overworld. Some of them have unusual side warps (for ex, going left on a panel may actually bring you to the right side of the screen east of where you started) Having too many seems to screw everything up. I tried setting a scrolling warp to a certain panel, tested it, failed to go to the right place. So I increased the number by one, and the warp went 2 screens to the east. Stuff like that. Oh, and maze paths not working on one side (west) even when you could exit up (maze path was up, up, up, up.)

rocksfan13
02-02-2006, 05:15 PM
13. If the west side of the maze is on the edge of the map, it won't scroll to the next screen.

Rakki
02-03-2006, 12:45 AM
13) I think you're going to have some trouble making this anyway, because you can only have 1 side-warp per screen. Meaning, if you have 2 or 3 sides that you can go off of, only one of them is going to be able to be weird. Unless you don't mind multiple sides taking you to the same screen.

Also, the problem with numbers 12 and 13 probably lies in the offsetting of the Dmap. If a warp takes you to the wrong screen, walk DIRECTLY (using walk through walls cheat, if you have to) to the screen it's supposed to take you to, counting how many screens it is off by. If it's too far to the left, add that number of screens to the warp room number. If it's too far to the right, subtract that number of screens from the warp room number.

koopa
02-03-2006, 12:37 PM
11)There are quests that also have tile warp puzzles like the ones in LTTP. How do I designate a warp for each separate stair?

Set room type to 3-stair warp. Set up the 3-stair warp in the quest menu then any warp set in the centre columns of the screen will go to destination 2, anything to the left to destination 1, and the right to 3.

Warp target offset is changed by the slider underneath the minimap in the dmap setup window. If you move the slider it means all warps for that dmap are shifted by so many screens to the left/right. See the tutorials for a full explanation.

Wind Fish
02-06-2006, 06:46 PM
11)So, It would really be best if it warped between quite a few rooms as opposed to just 2?

14)Is there any way to make some kind of trigger w/out making too many copies of maps? What I want to do is have the actions a character takes decide what happens in the plot. I think there will be about 3 or four things, end their overall effect will appear towards the end of the game, but some of these actions will take place very early.

Wind Fish
02-09-2006, 06:53 PM
8)How can I change the dive animations? I can't find the tiles for link diving...

10)In a movie, should I have all overhead tiles, direct warps when progressing, and an option to move up or down when a choice is displayed??

11)So, It would really be best if it warped between quite a few rooms as opposed to just 2 I guess. And are these center, right and left columns relative? Ex: does the furthest left warp go to destination 1, and the furthest right to destination 3?

14)Is there any way to make some kind of trigger w/out making too many copies of maps? What I want to do is have the actions a character takes decide what happens in the plot. I think there will be about 3 or four things, end their overall effect will appear towards the end of the game, but some of these actions will take place very early.

Nimono
02-09-2006, 07:10 PM
8: Look after the tiles for Link swimming. At the end are the ytiles for Link diving. They're usually like shadows...

11: If you want an example on how a 3-stair warp is supposed to look like, look on screen 81 on Map 1. Of course, if you want to make MANY warps on the same screen, make them Direct Warps. This combo takes the player to the warp screen in the same X & y coordinates. That's probably what's used in Knit Knight Academy... Well, from the looks. Hope that helps!