PDA

View Full Version : One-time events?

DarkFlameWolf
01-26-2006, 12:56 PM
I'm planning to script some boss battles and story events. Now I'm a bit rusty, but I know that I can somehow pull this off using boss flags and instant warps. But I want these to be one-time only events, and when the player comes back to these areas later in the game, I don't want them starting up again NOR do I want small 'snippets' of these events appearing later. (by snippits, I mean that you actually see on screen you transferring rapidly through insta-warps to the desired boss flag location) So basically, I want the player to have no indication after the event has passed that you're warping to the exact same screen but with no scripted events. Help?

Also another thing, it seems in freeform dungeons, shutters and locked doors don't seem to work. So....huh?

Nimono
01-26-2006, 05:14 PM
I've heard that to make Shutters work in Freeform dungeons, you have to put the Shutter TILES and set the Screen Flag "Enemies>Secrets" and put Secret Flags on the shutter(s)....

Phazite
01-26-2006, 06:32 PM
I want to do the same thing with the events in one of my quests and don't know how.

For the shutters, you only need the "enemy > secrets" screen flag if you're killing all the enemies to open the door (I'm sure you know that DFW). The only problem is that I think the door will stay open. (At least in a cave Dmap, not sure about Dungeon)
And of course, use lock blocks for the locked doors.

firefly
01-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Darn, this is what stopped me when I was making a quest.

DarkFlameWolf
01-26-2006, 08:26 PM
So basically, I have to find work-arounds to make shutters and locked doors work in freeform. And not only that, but I lose the sound too of those doors opening/closing. And on top of that, walking back into a room that had a shutter, you'd be walking through the shutter, which looks weird. Hmmm, this may be more complicated than I thought.:shakeno:

Petoe
01-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Yeah, when you use "self-made shutters" you lose the nice sound.
And about using boss flags, there's no way to make the triggered event to disappear before you enter the screen (at least there's no easy enough way...) It sucks when you come to a screen where eg someone should be gone but he disappears only after you've entered the screen.. :(

C-Dawg
01-26-2006, 08:54 PM
No no no. Here's what you do.

Set up your screen as you would like it to appear after the event. Have some pit warps on the edge or where-ever that the player immediately steps into, and those pit warps begin the event. Ensure a boss flag is triggered at the end that deactivates these pits.

This way, there is no flicker after the event becuase nothing starts there. And for the origin of the event, it's fairly simple to arrnage for the event to start at the side of the screen.

-C

EDIT: And if you're REALLY concerned about the player seeing anything, have the pit warp one screen BEFORE the event. Like a hallway or something, where the player warps to the event location. This way, you can walk into the room in the middle of the event if that's what you're looking for.

DarkFlameWolf
01-26-2006, 09:14 PM
that was awesome C-dawg, and I even understood that. I may still use Caves as my dungeons. That way I can do freeform yet still retain my shutters and locked doors. (at least I think I can do that, Mr. Z did a freeform dungeon for level 8 of his Link's Birthday Deluxe quest while still maintaining shutters and locked doors. So I think it can be done with cave maps as dungeons) As for the one-time boss scripted events, that's what I'm going to do. Thanks C-dawg!

Petoe
01-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Well of course! Goddamn I'm a retard. 1 year absence from ZC and I forget tricks like these... Thanks C-Dawg for sharing that info.

Freedom
01-26-2006, 10:50 PM
I've gotten to where I put most of my doors on layer 1 and temptriggers on layer 0 under them DFW, so when you come back in from the other direction they open for you.
I paint all of my doors in.
As for the sound.... I think your out of luck, even though using cave dmaps make the sound but don't apply any door, it would be difficult to get it to trigger the sound always at the right time, although defeating enemies or doing the block=shutter might be easy enough.
I've done it on "special" occations, like in Tortuga, where Joe in in jail and you get thrown in and released, that door makes sound, but doing it in every room would be a lot of work.

As Cdawg was saying, works really well.
I started doing the "adding another room" thing to set the triggers before the event, one thing that lets you do, is in houses, it makes it simple to have any house change with defeating a boss flag elsewhere, and doing a special room for the trigger allows you enough room to pack in a lot of triggers so you can make it change multiple times.

Phazite
01-26-2006, 10:57 PM
Wow! Now I can finaly do events! Cool C-Dawg!:D

And not only that, but I lose the sound too of those doors opening/closing. And on top of that, walking back into a room that had a shutter, you'd be walking through the shutter, which looks weird.

The sound you do loose for the shutters.:shakeno:
Instead of having a shutter just there, use a temp trigger to close the door(s) after you walk in and then cover it with a layer. Then you wont walk through it when you come back to the room that had the shutter. (I had to learn all this, I'm making a quest with only or mostly freeform dungeons.)

Edit: Freedom posted while I was typing... and he has a better way too.