PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine

Monica
01-22-2006, 01:08 PM
I wanted to start a topic about caffein. There is a big war on drugs, but no one seems to care that caffein is just as harmful as any of them. Caffein is in coffee, chocolate and soda. You get addicted to caffein, and can develope caffein poisioning, and it messes with your kidneys. (and about caffein helping people stay awake, I quote a medical book: "Caffein whips your nerves like a rider whips a tired horse") I've recently had kidney stones, and it probably came from caffiein. This may be the cause of a LOT of problems.

You could say that it's up to the people to buy it or not, but they mainly market stuff like soda and especially chocolate to little kids. It's like completely impossible almost not to get addicted to caffein, since it's everywhere. And it tears up your body. I dunno exactly where I'm going with this, but I find it weird that it's marketed to kids... Thoughts?

Glitch
01-22-2006, 01:18 PM
I think you mean caffeine.

If we start worrying about caffeine when there are like elevendy-billion other more important thing to worry about, thats when we need to stab ourselves in the face for being dumbasses.

Eckels
01-22-2006, 01:53 PM
If we start worrying about caffeine when there are like elevendy-billion other more important thing to worry about, thats when we need to stab ourselves in the face for being dumbasses.

Agreed. that's like bitching about people saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".

koopa
01-22-2006, 01:56 PM
Caffein is in coffee, chocolate and soda.
You left out black tea.

Caffeine is, like many things, harmful if taken in excess. You can "poison" yourself on pure water - though you'd have to drink gallons and gallons at once. Coffee, tea or anything else with caffeine taken moderately is not a danger to your health, quite unlike some drugs where you can suffer irreparable damage from a single overdose.

Rainman
01-22-2006, 05:10 PM
You just shouldn't use caffeine to regulate your sleep cycle. If you have to compensate for your lack of sleep by using a stimulant then you've got a problem. Well, I kind of have that problem, but definitely can make it through the day without caffeine.

Daarkseid
01-22-2006, 11:51 PM
If they ever decide to ban caffeine and make its consumption illegal, I'll hunt down those directly responsible and kill them. And their families, pets and children included.

ILL KILL THEM ALL!!!!!!!11111

LJ Bad
01-22-2006, 11:54 PM
I can't stand caffeine. It tastes horrible and I wouldn't mind even a little bit if it were made illegal.

ONeilcool
01-23-2006, 12:22 AM
wait isnt Cafeine tastless :odd:

Jigglysaint
01-23-2006, 12:37 AM
Since I don't drink caffinated pop on a regular basis, nor have an addiction, I'd say it would suck. I have to admit that sometimes I rely on a jolt of caffine(I don't drink coffee or tea though) to waken me. I am particularly fond of energy drinks, and except for the really big ones, it's like 50 to 100 mg of caffine, so it's not overloading my system.

Rainman
01-23-2006, 02:09 AM
I can't stand caffeine. It tastes horrible and I wouldn't mind even a little bit if it were made illegal.

You probably shouldn't be drinking caffeine straight then.

mikeron
01-23-2006, 02:35 AM
High Fructose Corn Syrup is a much bigger problem.

I've stopped using caffeine except before workouts. As a result, I don't need the hell out of it in the morning, and the effect is much more appreciated when I do use it.

Also, Spike (http://www.t-nation.com/category.jsp?categoryID=34&pageNo=1) kicks ass.

Monica
01-26-2006, 05:02 PM
I believe caffien does more than just make you jittery. It messes with your kidneys, and it very possibly could be the cause of cysts and things. I can't really explain it, but I have very good reason to believe that it really messes with your body. The reason I made this thread is that over the last few months, I've been throwing up randomly and can't figure out why. I've stopped drinking and eating caffien, and now I'm testing milk and sugar. I very well could be lactose intolerant, all of the sudden, and my grandfather is too, and he's drank Coke all his life. I started when I was about 12. Also, I've had cysts and things like that, and a lot of people get them nowadays, same with kidney stones, etc. Caffien is rumored to cause these, and I kinda believe it. :(

Daarkseid
01-26-2006, 11:08 PM
I believe caffien does more than just make you jittery. It messes with your kidneys, and it very possibly could be the cause of cysts and things. I can't really explain it, but I have very good reason to believe that it really messes with your body. The reason I made this thread is that over the last few months, I've been throwing up randomly and can't figure out why. I've stopped drinking and eating caffien, and now I'm testing milk and sugar. I very well could be lactose intolerant, all of the sudden, and my grandfather is too, and he's drank Coke all his life. I started when I was about 12. Also, I've had cysts and things like that, and a lot of people get them nowadays, same with kidney stones, etc. Caffien is rumored to cause these, and I kinda believe it. :(

Caffeine is a diuretic, and thus depletes the body of water. Water is what the kidneys use to remove waste. When the body lacks water for urine production, the result is that mineral deposits in the kidneys buildup and can lead to kidney stones.

Caffeine is safely used, then, if consumed to in moderation and with plenty of water. This excludes, however, individuals who may have health issues that caffeine would aggravate. It sounds to me like you could very well have such issues that would make caffeine more detrimental.

Monica
01-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Caffeine is a diuretic, and thus depletes the body of water. Water is what the kidneys use to remove waste. When the body lacks water for urine production, the result is that mineral deposits in the kidneys buildup and can lead to kidney stones.

Caffeine is safely used, then, if consumed to in moderation and with plenty of water. This excludes, however, individuals who may have health issues that caffeine would aggravate. It sounds to me like you could very well have such issues that would make caffeine more detrimental.

Yep, you're probably right... BTW, I'm not proposing to ban caffien, I just wanted a simple discussion on it is all. I am kind of wondering, Glitch, why it was wrong of me to start it, when it's rather concerning to me at the moment?