PDA

View Full Version : Help with message string nuances

jediborg
01-17-2006, 11:43 PM
So i'm building a beautifull hyrule castle, and i want the king to talk when link enters the throne room. I figured i would assign a guy to the throne room, cover him up with layers, assign the message string to the guy and then put the king in there as a layered combo. This should work right?

apparently it doesn't. I can't for the life of me figure it out. Should i make the room some kind of special room? I've tried tile warping into the throne room but the message still doesn't display. I've also tried side warping.

Does the design of the room affect weather the message string will display? The throne room is not encased in four walls like some of my dungeon rooms with message strings that work. I've goten the throne room to work with message strings when i put the throne room in screen 80 and tile warp link in there, but then the pallet changes to the cave pallete (not the one i'm using for the castle)

I guess my major question is this: "what is required for a message string to display?" This has been driving me mad, and i thought i'd come here for help.

firefly
01-17-2006, 11:46 PM
The Dmap must be set on "Dungeon" and it must have a level number higher than "0"

Questions
01-17-2006, 11:58 PM
It doesn't have to be a dungeon.

jediborg
01-18-2006, 02:40 AM
thanks, i figured it out