PDA

View Full Version : "Dark" Dungeons

Nimono
01-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Okay, I'm making a quest where the first dugeon is split into 2 areas: One normal, and one Dark World variation accessed by way of warp panels all over the dungeon (you need to use the first one to get a key). I just have 1 question:
How do I make the rooms in the "Dark" dungeon look dark without making a layer that is black and putting that on all my Dark Dungeon screens (of course, the layer is trasparent)? I just want this dungeon to look more like a "Dark World", not a dungeon with semi-dark rooms.

algam86
01-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Why don't you copy the Cset(s) of the palette you're using for the normal dungeon, paste them into another pallete with an empty CSet 2, 3, or 4, and darken each color for the Dark World version? Or, if you're only using one CSet for the dungeon, say 3, and CSet 2, 3, or 4 is empty in that pallete, just copy that CSet to an empty one, say, 4. That way, you can use the same pallete for both areas of the dungeon.

DeFray
01-17-2006, 07:19 PM
I don't have much experience with this, but I'd look at tweaking the pallette you're using for the Light World. Adjust some of the colors so that it looks... either creepy or darker, and set that up as a separate level pallette.

Nimono
01-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Okay, that sounds a bit complicated. And I also had no idea what most of the stuff you said was :odd:

Nimono
01-17-2006, 07:30 PM
I think I'll just stick to layering to make the rooms dark. It's a lot easier than what you're trying to tell me... But thanks for the tips anyways.

Cloral
01-17-2006, 07:34 PM
One thing with what they're suggesting is it will only affect the walls and scenery. Link and the enemies will still be the same brightness, so in the darker dungeon they'd look overly bright. Using a semitransparent dark layer on top of the screen like you're doing ensures that everything is darker.

Nimono
01-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Okay, thanks. By the way, could I use this same idea on the overworld to recreate the look of nighttime? I have an area that is supposed to be dark, and I have the whole area "cloaked" in the semitransparent darkness so it looks like it's dark.

Phazite
01-24-2006, 12:34 AM
Okay, thanks. By the way, could I use this same idea on the overworld to recreate the look of nighttime? I have an area that is supposed to be dark, and I have the whole area "cloaked" in the semitransparent darkness so it looks like it's dark.
Yes, you can. You could also make fog or mist with white instead of black.

Nimono
01-24-2006, 04:52 PM
I already did that in the quest. The first area is filled with mist, while it's really dark in the Dark World...