PDA

View Full Version : More Editing Tools/Options & Time-Savers (Please read)

idontknow
01-11-2006, 11:10 PM
I have a few recommendations about editing & some misc. stuff that should chop down quest-building time:

1) Have Zquest remember the last combo clicked on when you select secret combos. Like if you set the secret combo of flag 16, then when you click flag 17's secret combo spot, when blank, it will automatically start where you picked the last secret combo, in this case for flag 16. This would work just like how combo alliases work. I put down many secret tile flags on just about every screen of my dungeons & often the secret combos are nearby or on the same page but i still have to keep scrolling to find them which can be a pain or time-consuming.

2) The ability to have combo alliases have flags. In other words, when you edit an allias, you can hold ctrl while you click on any part of the allias & then select a flag for that part (like assigning flags to secret combos) An example of this use: Push blocks! I have blocks in my quest that have directions on them (like a right arrow) and everytime they are put on the screen, they can be pushed in the direction(s) designated by the arrow(s). Thefore, everytime the block is put on a screen, i must add a flag to it. If i made it an allias and put the flag on the allias, i could simply place the allias on the screen & the flag would be there every time.

3) Ability to copy entire maps (without having to export & import) You can delete an entire map & copy a single screen to an entire map but you can't copy an entire map of screens to another map?

4) Additionally, i think maps should be named, just like dmaps. For examples:
-Map 1: Overworld
-Map 2: Overworld Treetops
-Map 3 Dungeons 1 & 2
-Map 4: Dungeon Borders
-Map 5: House Interiors
-Map 6: Dungeons 3 & 4
-Map 7: Dungeon Borders
...And so on! This way, you can name maps based on what's on them so you know exactly where everything is--would be great for those that have like 50+ maps in use!

5) Also, the ability to name combo alliases. Good for identifying its use and what not--more or less just something good for organization for quest-makers. Perhaps it appears in the grey panel at the bottom of zquest, below the screen you are editing. This would be particularly good if you have like an open-door allias and an open-door-cycling-to-a-closed-door allias. You could name each with a breif description to prevent confusion.

6) Ability for you to change a combo allias's cset--may be kinda difficult to implement because each combo in a combo allias seems to use its own cset and evertyime the allias is used, each combo uses its own cset, the cset originally assigned to the allias. However, i often have large objects of the same cset but can be used with multiple csets. There's currently know way to use the same allias for multiple csets without having to make an allias for each cset.

7) When editing a tile, make it so you can edit certain pixels only when outlined with the hookshot tool. Right now you can select pixels, but this doesn't really do anything. You can't crop those pixels. It'd also be nice if you can move these pixels while keeping all the surrounding pixels stationary, so you can move one part of a tile over another part of the same tile. Or maybe when you press the Delete key while pixels are highlighted, makes those pixels become filled with the 'transparent' color (it deletes those pixels only without deleting the entire tile)

8) How about when you right click the map # above the map in the low left-hand corner of zquest, below the screen you're editing, then a small window pops up with a text bar and you can type in a number & press enter. This quickly jumps to that map # without having to scroll through a bunch of maps.

9) When you click on a string & edit it, you should be able to click the next string & then edit it, even for a 'new string' and it would both save that string & link the strings together at the same time. This saves you from having to make/edit a bunch of strings first, thengo back to each string & link them; you could do it all at once!

10) When in combo allias mode, ctrl + pg down should jump from one combo allias pg to another, just like it does for standard combo pages. Doing so in combo allias mode currently does nothing, although it works for standard, relational, & dungeon-carving modes.

11) Keep the transparent color pink, in any cset, including when using the mass-color mode (255 colors, i think?) When you click a tile, press B and then edit it, the combo can be made to have all sorts of colors (not sure where the colors come from or if its just every color in the game, have yet to experiment with that) But it anyways, it automatically changes the transparent background & makes the transparent color black--i hate having that cause i can't tell when editing a screen, if a combos all black, or black surrounded by transparent parts.

12) Almost forgot! The ability to copy & paste combo alliases, like you can individual combos. Perhaps when you click quest->graphics->combo allias, you get the same sorta screen as the combo editor, except with pages of thumbnails. Then when you click on an allias, it brings up that allias like it automatically does now. This way, you can select multiple alliases, delete them, copy them, paste them, move them or rearrange them, and so forth.

That's it for now! :) Comments? Questions? Further Recommendations?

firefly
01-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Copying secret combos: When you copy a screen and paste it, the secret combos copy too, you can save the pain of having to set the secret combos in the screen again, especially if you're using multiple under combos.

idontknow
01-12-2006, 01:48 AM
Yeah, but you have to do paste all, which also pastes enemies & layers--so you must delete them all, then reassign the layers--maybe a 'paste secret combos' button at the bottom of the secret combos screen that pastes from the last screen that you copied, kinda like pasting enemies.