PDA

View Full Version : Copyright/Legal download

Link648689Ti
01-09-2006, 12:08 AM
I love this ZeldaClassic.com website and games! However, I am wondering about several things:

1) Is this website copyrighted? If so, by whom?

2) Is downloading stuff on this site 100% legal? No adware, spyware, viruses, or anything like that?

3) I've wondered how exactly you download a custom quest (*.qst file)? I've seen it in the Custom Quest FAQ page, but not sure exactly how it works. Do I have to un-install ZC 2.10 and then re-install 2.10 and download the *.qst files in order to play those *.qst file games? Let me know. Thank you!

Link648689Ti

Gerudo
01-09-2006, 04:07 AM
1.) the website itself is copyright Armageddon Games. However, they can (to my understanding / knowledge) only lay claim to programming the ZC engine, since most graphics, music, and whatnot that are included are officially copyrighted by Nintendo. Custom tiles and such would then be copyrighted by the user who created them.

2.) Whether or not ZC is legal can be debated on and on. I will leave that one unanswered... I do know for a fact that ZC has ZERO ad/spy/virii/etc. We very highly recommend you use the download links provided on the official site (www.zeldaclassic.com) for all your download needs. Do not use alternatives such as p2p programs, or sites not sponsored or directly linked to by ZeldaClassic.com.

3.) ZC 2.10 is the latest version, and is recommended to play newer quests. To load a custom quest, load up ZC, then enter a new name in an empty slot. Then press whatever button you have assigned to "A". This will bring up a 'load custom' prompt. Follow the prompts and find the quest you want to load (I've learned that quests pretty much have to be in the same directory that ZC is installed to), and you're on your way.

Dart Zaidyer
01-09-2006, 10:20 AM
This should answer your legality questions:

Nintendo officially does not care about fan projects, as long as they are not for profit. ZC has been around for years and there are probably plenty of people telling them about it all the time, especially after being recognized on TechTV's The ScreenSavers and EGM magazine.
You may have heard about Nintendo "shutting down" fan projects in the past... These were lies perpetrated by disgruntled schemers and cowardly hosts hoping to avoid trouble. Unfortunately, these two root causes seem to perpetuate eachother and as a result, it can get pretty aggravating.
The fact of the matter is that Nintendo only uses real, actual mail to deliver cease-and-desist orders. So if you see or get a threatening message in any other format, don't believe it. Nintendo has no interest in suing you for being a fan.

BFeely
01-09-2006, 12:06 PM
I love this ZeldaClassic.com website and games! 2) Is downloading stuff on this site 100% legal? No adware, spyware, viruses, or anything like that?

At one time, ZC was bundled with a spyware program called SaveNow. However, this is no longer so. All of the latest releases are spyware free.

Nintendo officially does not care about fan projects, as long as they are not for profit. ZC has been around for years and there are probably plenty of people telling them about it all the time, especially after being recognized on TechTV's The ScreenSavers and EGM magazine.
You may have heard about Nintendo "shutting down" fan projects in the past... These were lies perpetrated by disgruntled schemers and cowardly hosts hoping to avoid trouble. Unfortunately, these two root causes seem to perpetuate eachother and as a result, it can get pretty aggravating.
The fact of the matter is that Nintendo only uses real, actual mail to deliver cease-and-desist orders. So if you see or get a threatening message in any other format, don't believe it. Nintendo has no interest in suing you for being a fan.
Can I have a source for this?

Actually, 2.10 is no longer the latest version. If you look at this forum, there is a download for 2.11 beta 6.

koopa
01-09-2006, 12:22 PM
the quote

It's quoted from the ZC FAQ here. (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=85584)

Given the time ZC's been around and the prominence it has achieved (the mentioned tv show, its one-time place on cnet downloads etc.) I'm sure Nintendo knows about it. As they haven't taken steps to shut it down I personally count that as them tolerating zc.

DarkFlameWolf
01-09-2006, 12:43 PM
In response to question 3:
Ver. 2.10 is needed to play the newer quests, having other versions of ZC installed (namely ver 1.92, beta 183 and beta 184) to play any of my quests and a few others would also be handy. At last count, having four unique ZC installations on your computer: ver. 1.90, ver 1.92 beta 183 and beta 184, and ver 2.10. should give you the flexibility to play all the quests out there.

koopa
01-09-2006, 01:01 PM
On the same tone I might add, playing 1.83 quests on 2.10 might seem to work at first glance but there are some ugly version incompatibility bugs, so I suggest you play quests with the version they were made for ONLY unless you know what you're doing. I say this from my own experiences.

rocksfan13
01-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Yes 2.11 is out there. However it is still in testing. It has not yet been PUBLICALY released OFFICIALY yet.

LavaBall
01-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Actually, 2.10 is no longer the latest version. If you look at this forum, there is a download for 2.11 beta 6.

2.11 Is only a beta version and does not include the Quest editor(Yet!?)It will become officially on the site once its done.

*b*
01-09-2006, 06:27 PM
rocksfan and LavaBall, ZC 2.11 HAS been officially announced, available to the public, and the editor IS included

copsgotguns
01-09-2006, 08:51 PM
if playing zc is wrong, i dont want to be right..and v2.11 is out? i will get it immediately!

Zelda_Warrior
01-13-2006, 08:17 PM
nah, zc is fine nobodys gonna knock on your door and say to stop using zc or youll get arrested or anything like that (lol, but some people think that, its sad.)

2.10 build 11 is probably a better name than 2.11, i think 2.10 build 11 is the official name, but im not sure. the official zc versions are: 1.83, 1.90 build 0, 1.92 build 163, 1.92 build 183, 2.10 build 0, and this new beta. theres versions below 1.83 but they arnt worth mentioning since nobody uses those anymore.

oh and yes zc 1.90 and 1.83 were both bundleded with a strange shady-looking program but they dont do that anymore, as Bfeely said.

Link648689Ti
01-16-2006, 02:33 AM
I do have 2 questions regarding ZC:

Let's assume that one has ZC version 2.10. Now, if one was to download A ZC custom quest that were for ZC versions lower than 2.10, such as 1.90, would that cause a problem or something? Just wondering.

2) In the "Adventure of Link" custom quest, is there any way to get to levels 3 to 8? I've already beaten levels 1 and 2 with no help... now I'm getting desperate: I need some help. I'm not sure where to go after beating levels 1 and 2. However, I do have to find Bagu; one guy said that it's "North of the River", and I'm like "?". Any help? Thanks! Maybe an overworld map would help as well. I just realized something else I need to get quickly through caves: Where can I find a white sword and a blue ring (for now)? Getting through the first and second parts of the cave "maze" is really tough when you have around three (!) patras (with its bats moving counterclockwise and expanding/collasping its circular motion). I saw the fourth piece of heart, but it has been blocked by rocks and I do not have the power bracelet; although, I found a green cave to the right of it. I wonder if that power bracelet is in the cave? Oh well.

I'm talking too much because 1) ZELDA CLASSIC rocks!!!!; and, 2) occasional help or hints is nice to have, huh? :) Anyway... TTYL! Bye.

Link648689Ti

Link648689Ti