PDA

View Full Version : game controller

fatboy2005
01-07-2006, 07:23 AM
For Zelda Classic can anyone suggest a type or brand of controller I could use? I do not like keyboard arrows.

Daarkseid
01-07-2006, 10:08 AM
http://www.retrousb.com/nintendo.html

For playing it like you would the original(on an NES)

Of course, ZC incorporates more input functions, so maybe you might want one of these

http://www.retrousb.com/supernintendo.html

An SNES controller.

To clarify, these are official Nintendo made controllers for the NES and SNES that have been modified to plug into a USB port.

I'm seriously looking at getting these myself for certain reasons.

Beyond those, however, I can't recommend more than a Gravis Gamepad(which are sold at places like Best Buy). Gamepads made for PC are, as a general rule, complete crap.

chinostc
01-07-2006, 12:22 PM
I use my nostromo n52 pad for ZC. The Nostromo comes with a great profile editor software, and can create and save different profiles for different games. I have my n52 set up to play ZC with one hand. Another decent controller I use is the Nyko AirFlo Ex. The buttons also can be configured with the included software, but is not as useful or versatile as the Nostromo Profile editor. As an added bonus the Nyko has fans for your hands. I have used both the Nostromo n52 and Nyko Airflo Ex for about a year and they are still working perfectly. I also have 4 logitech controllers broken in my closet. They work very well in the beginning, but have a short lifespan, as the analog sticks wear out after too little use.

Grasshopper
01-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Gamepads made for PC are, as a general rule, complete crap.

In that case, spend $40 on an Xbox 360 controller, and download the drivers (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/DownloadResult.aspx?prod=pk_xbox_cont&os=xp&lang=en&driverVersion=Download%20XBox%20360%20Controller%2 0for%20Windows) for it. :shrug:

koopa
01-07-2006, 02:14 PM
You can also get a ps2 controller cheap and a ps2-to-pc usb cable, all for half the price of a decent pc gamepad. I haven't tested it myself but I'm thinking of it.

Daarkseid
01-07-2006, 03:50 PM
You can also get a ps2 controller cheap and a ps2-to-pc usb cable, all for half the price of a decent pc gamepad. I haven't tested it myself but I'm thinking of it.

I use a PSX->USB converter, and it works beautifully. Old PSX and Dual-Shock(and 2) controllers work with it.

MottZilla
01-08-2006, 03:30 AM
I highly recommend a PS2/PSX to USB converter. I have the "BOOM" brand and it works great for quite some time now. As long as you don't drop or do something extreme to a PSX controller they last pretty long and are good controllers. I still have my original Dual Shock. It works but because of being dropped the left Analog doesn't reset to its default center position the right way anymore. I use my newer PSONE controller now.

They are very flexible as I've used it for everything from NES to DreamCast to Playstation to N64 all on my PC.

vegeta1215
01-08-2006, 11:16 AM
I bought a Gravis Gamepad Pro USB, and it sucks. The D-pad is terrible, and it always thinks I'm holding a direction down so Link continues to keep moving in that direction even if I don't have my fingers on the controller.

If you wanna give it a try, I'll sell you mine for a good price.

copsgotguns
01-08-2006, 03:01 PM
ps2/psx to usb converter sounds like a good idea, i might do that myself.

MottZilla
01-08-2006, 04:42 PM
The PSX dpad is very good, and with dual shock and my adapter, I can change between analog mode and digital. And on analog mode, there's never a need to calibrate the analog sticks.

Brasel
01-09-2006, 04:13 AM
I have some unliscensed crap Hadgi brand USB PSX knockoff controller, and its lasted me a whole deployment in Iraq with sand, dust, and all the other crap we get over here. I'd really recommend going to the middle east to get a good controller. ;)