PDA

View Full Version : Sleep

Monica
01-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Just a few questions about sleep. :)

What envirement helps you go to sleep? (quiet, noisy, dark, nightlight, etc)
I need to hear air blowing, either from a fan or air conditioner or something blowing. It's very hard for me to fall asleep without air. I don't really mind the dark too much.

Do you Sleepwalk, or Sleeptalk?
As far as I know, I never have. But one time I dreamed that I sleepwalked. O_O but I hadn't.

Have you ever gotten stuck in what I named "Sleep paralysis"? (Where you wake up, but your dream hasn't ended so you can't move until it finishes, and it's very painful if you try to force yourself awake?)
I used to get it maybe once or twice a year, but I haven't in awhile. But I used to fall straight into it sometimes and I would know it but I couldn't move to stop it.

Can you control your dreams?
I can't at all. I just have to watch all mine no matter what kinda dream it is.

Y'all?

biggiy05
01-07-2006, 01:05 AM
I can sleep with dead silence or I can sleep with a noise like a tv or a radio going. I go to sleep at a different hour every night so one night I might fall asleep with my tv on a timer and the next I might so tired that I just hit my pillow and I am dead asleep.

Not as far as I can tell. I may talk in my sleep but I don't have anyone around who can say for sure.

Nope never had anything like it.

My dreams are so random that if I try to dream one thing I will dream something completely different. I remember having falling dreams when I was younger and I would think about hitting the bottom then I had that feeling like I just fell from mid air into my bed and the dream was ove.

goKi
01-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Once, i powered up the SNES and played Super Mario World while sleepwalking. My mum was down there at the time.

SixTen
01-07-2006, 01:48 AM
I've had sleep paralysis a couple times but it wasnt painful. Sometimes I realize im dreaming and I can control them to an extent, but if I try to change my environment too much I usually wake up.

copsgotguns
01-07-2006, 01:49 AM
ive been able to somewhat control some dreams a bit, but only seconds before i wake up. and ive had the "sleep paralysis" too but the most recent one i can remember was probably 8 years ago.

also a weird sort-off dream i had a long time ago was that:
whatever dream i was having..cant remember..was ending and i was descending and i flew in from my kitchen window and i was hovering to my bedroom and i saw myself sleeping then i hovered right into my body in the position i was laying...then i immediately woke up, gasped and stood up really fast. weird.

VT_Hokie_Fan
01-07-2006, 02:22 AM
I can't exactly "control" my dreams, but before I go to sleep I can think about the beginning of my dream, and when I fall asleep I'm already imbedded in my dream, so it doesn't change.

And yeah I've had sleep paralysis before. 3 times one night. Sucks.

Gerudo
01-07-2006, 02:49 AM
ambient noise. either a humming heater/ac unit, or radio, or tv. i have my radio on a really low volume setting, and that helps me sleep. i havent turned it off for like 2 weeks though.

not that i ever knew, but people tell me i snore :(

Have you ever gotten stuck in what I named "Sleep paralysis"? (Where you wake up, but your dream hasn't ended so you can't move until it finishes, and it's very painful if you try to force yourself awake?)
i cant ever remember anything like that, so i guess its "no"

i could once. it was cool. i was flying, falling down stairs, and causing general kickassery (all like being a God). it owned.
answers/replies italicized.

Yoshiman
01-07-2006, 12:19 PM
- As long as the environment doesn't have sudden loud sounds in it, and no one is staring at me, I'm fine. I can sleep with a cowd of people talking, but I get annoyed if the shower drips at night. I also prefer to sleep against something. I have the pillow on my bed propped halfway up on the wall.

- I have been known to sleepwalk. Once into the computer room before I had my own, and another time into the bathroom.

- I think I've done that before, but I can't remember any particular time.

- I've been able to control my dreams a few times. A lot of the time though, I can wake up on command. If only I could do that during nightmares. >_>

Daarkseid
01-07-2006, 03:53 PM
I have problems with insomnia, and as such, I take an anti-depressant that causes, at times very intense, drowsiness. It's the only way I've ever gotten truly restful sleep in my whole life.

That answers the first question. When the medication has taken full effect, I can sleep most anywhere under a variety of conditions.

The others, no. Although there have been times where I have gained lucidity in my dreams... which has lead me to attempt things in my dream state I would never EVER do in real life.

Toolie
01-07-2006, 03:57 PM
I don't sleep.

Rainman
01-07-2006, 04:35 PM
What envirement helps you go to sleep? (quiet, noisy, dark, nightlight, etc)I need an air conditioner running ever since college started. It's uncomfortably quiet otherwise.
Do you Sleepwalk, or Sleeptalk?Never sleepwalked. I've been known to talk in my sleep sometimes.
Have you ever gotten stuck in what I named "Sleep paralysis"? (Where you wake up, but your dream hasn't ended so you can't move until it finishes, and it's very painful if you try to force yourself awake?)I vaguely remember having sleep paralysis before although I may be wrong. I haven't for a long time at least.

Can you control your dreams?I have before a little bit. It's hard to stay in a dream long after you realize you're in one.

Archibaldo
01-07-2006, 05:54 PM
It's strange but, the sound of a thunderstorm helps me sleep.

I don't think I sleep walk or sleeptalk. Except for one time, I was camping and the next morning, apparently, I was sleep talking.

I don't think I've ever experienced "sleep paralysis", but there was this one time where I couldn't stop dreaming the same thing. Every time I woke up and went back to sleep,I would have the same dream and it drove me crazy.

gdorf
01-08-2006, 04:39 AM
Some nights I sleep anywhere, other times I can't sleep at all. But I've never had sleep paralysis.

I think I often have trouble sleeping because work prohibits me from developing a routine. Some weeks I work shifts where I start work at 3am on some days and end work at 10:30pm on other days. Its lousy. :shrug:

Verman
01-08-2006, 05:25 AM

I have to have a fan, air conditioner or something else that makes that steady noise on or I can't sleep, total silence is the worst.

Sleeptalk, I get mad at people occastionally... I haven't done this for awhile.

No I don't think so... I've had it so i can see around the room but I can't move and it takes alot of energy (it seems) just to actully get my brain functioning. Like a waking dream.

Sometimes.... I don't know they are dreams and i can totally control what i do... fucked up things happen then... usually when i figure out its a dream I wake up.

ShadowTiger
01-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Honestly, I could sleep under almost any condition, so long as I'm actually at least slightly tired. O.o' I don't care if I would be sleeping on the back of a giant turtle, or a Zerg Lurker. I once had to sleep on my supply bag without a blanket, on the cold hard floor of a gym next to hundreds of idiot campers.

Nope. I do, however, (and who wouldn't hate to admit this..) drool in your sleep. All you need is any possible situation where your mouth ends up being open while you sleep. Most any sickness can cause this.

Actually, no. O.o' I've gotten toe cramps in my sleep, which I despise with a passion, but I've never been locked into sleep before. I'm a very light sleeper.

Occasionally. The majority of any "controlling" that is to be done, happens when a lot of recent events coalesce into one unified dream. I can have any number of life's events converge into one sequence of events within a dream, or one event spread out into any number of little dreams in a week. Last night, for example, I had dream after dream of nothing but Starcraft. All this comes from playing far too much Starcraft in the past week.

Daarkseid
01-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Nope. I do, however, (and who wouldn't hate to admit this..) drool in your sleep. All you need is any possible situation where your mouth ends up being open while you sleep. Most any sickness can cause this.

Yeah, I've done that many times myself. Though I can't recall that it was due to occluded sinus'. I think sometimes my mouth just remains open at a corner, out of which saliva will slowly flow onto my pillow.

biggiy05
01-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Yeah, I've done that many times myself. Though I can't recall that it was due to occluded sinus'. I think sometimes my mouth just remains open at a corner, out of which saliva will slowly flow onto my pillow.

I have done it from time too except it has always happened when I just hit the pillows and I fall right asleep.

Rainman
01-09-2006, 01:38 AM
Actually, no. O.o' I've gotten toe cramps in my sleep, which I despise with a passion, but I've never been locked into sleep before. I'm a very light sleeper.
It's not so common that you should feel weird by not having it. Sleep paralysis affects about 1 in 6 in their lifetime. Your chances of getting it are increased by several factors like too much caffiene or irregular sleep patterns.

Lilith
01-09-2006, 05:19 AM
I have a hard time sleeping in complete silence, I like a little backround noise.

I don't know about sleeptalking. I've sleepwalked maybe once.

I've had A LOT of sleep paralysis and have a ton of stories.

I've been lucid dreaming for many years, not total control though.

Glitch
01-09-2006, 10:18 AM
I don't sleep.

he waits....

moocow
01-09-2006, 11:09 AM
I have to have some kind of light and noise in my room, or I can't sleep. So, I sleep with the computer monitor on and the baby monitor on. If the power goes out, I wake up immediately.

I sometimes sleep talk.

I've been in sleep paralysis once.

No, I cannot control my dreams.