PDA

View Full Version : LightGun Games

MottZilla
01-03-2006, 03:26 AM
I've always liked LightGun games probably since Duck Hunt. Also probably because I like real guns too. Anyways, I was curious who around here also enjoys lightgun games and which they have? It'd also help me compile a list of light gun games to look into buying.

I recently bought "Vampire Night" a NAMCO arcade game ported to Playstation 2. It came with the very awesome GunCon 2 controller. I have to say it's the most accurate lightgun I've ever used, except for the arcade Namco high quality lightguns, though they were probably rarely calibrated correctly. The SNES Super Scope which I also have was fairly accurate though. Anyways, I recently started to want to get some of these games because I had some christmas cash to spend. It all actually started with me buying a Sega CD for my Sega Genesis. Then I found Lethal Enforcers for Sega CD with the Justifier lightgun. Ofcourse I HAD to buy it. By the way, the Justifier for Genesis is I'd say fairly accurate, but not as pin point and reliable as the GunCon2. The Super Scope probably beats it due to the superior aiming system which allows for very precise calibration. Plus the lens on the Super Scope is bigger.

Lethal Enforcers really made me want more. Playing two player with one using the controller is still a blast but I wanted to get a second lightgun which has to be the special red justifier that plugs into the blue one. And this red justifier is alot harder to find than the blue one.

Jumping forward again, while out burning up some cash originally looking for Time Crisis 3, that's when I found Vampire Night. Now ofcourse after that, I wanted to get a second GunCon2 for my friends to use to play with me. So I was able to track down Time Crisis 2 for Playstation 2 with another GunCon2. Lightly used for about half the price of Vampire Night which was factory sealed. VN was 60$, TC2 was 30$. Alot more than I wanted to spend buy I'm definitely going to enjoy it.

Now you'd think I'd be satisfied there and stop but it kept bothering me that I still didn't have 2 lightguns for good old Lethal Enforcers and still didn't have Lethal Enforcers 2. Well lucky me I was able to find the PS1 Lethal Enforcers 1&2 for rather cheap (20$), about a 3rd of the price I'd seen elsewhere. So I had to buy it. And ofcourse, the PS2 GunCon2s aren't backwards compatible with the PS1 games so I had to spend abit over 20 bucks on 2 PSX Lightguns.

I'm out of money to spend on gaming goodies now. I am planning on grabbing Area 51 for PSX later on though. Then for PS2 there's some kind of Namco Gun collection disc that includes Time Crisis 1 and Point Blank 1, 2, and 3. Also there's Time Crisis 3, Crisis Zone, and some others like Resident Evil Dead Aim.

So back to the start of all this, who else here enjoys lightgun games and do you have or want to get any?

vegeta1215
01-03-2006, 07:09 PM
I don't own any light gun games save for Dunk Hunt, but I kick ass at Time Crisis 2 in the arcade. My friend and I are able to beat it without continuing in co-op mode - we were trying for the high score at the arcade I worked at for the longest time, but just missed it. I think our highest score is around 133,000, maybe higher.

I could never get into Time Crisis 3 though, probably because I kept trying to use only pistol (which is all you have in Time Crisis 2) instead of the other weapons.

MottZilla
01-04-2006, 01:59 AM
I can't wait for Time Crisis 2 for PS2 to get here. I got it over TC3 because I had heard TC3 wasn't as good as TC2. I had heard about some weapon system but not much else. I loved Time Crisis 2 in the arcades though. It's a shame that I didn't get to play the arcade machines more. But now I'll have it at home which is even better.

MasterSwordUltima
01-04-2006, 12:56 PM
My girlfriend's brother has Time Crisis 3, and to tell you the truth, I seriously hate it. :p I'd much rather play Duck Hunt than that, but thats just me. :p The system for Duck Hunt is just, 3 shots per Duck/Ducks/Clay Targets. For Time Crisis 3 its like OMFG A BILLION GUNS and all that. That gets annoying. [shrug] I'll stick with Duck Hunt.

MottZilla
01-04-2006, 03:44 PM
You should try one of the games NOT like TC3 then. Like TC2, Lethal Enforcers, Area 51, or Vampire Night. It's still fast paced action as that's the point. But it's not that insane. Lethal Enforcers is actually pretty easy, if you have an accurate lightgun. Infact after going from my GunCon2 and Vampire Night back to Lethal Enforcers on Genesis with Justifier, it was very annoying. You can frequently shoot way off of where you want, or sometimes it'll reload when you're trying to shoot a bad guy. None of this is that much of a problem until after you've used some highly accurate and reliable lightguns, like arcade quality Namco or home console guns using "GunCon" technology.

vegeta1215
01-04-2006, 08:43 PM
In TC3, when you are hiding (by using the pedal) you pull the trigger to switch weapons, if you've picked up any others. I think the weapons are the pistol (default), shotgun, machine gun (or some kind of automatic gun), and grenade launcher. You get ammo for these guns from different enemies.

I am a pro at TC2, but TC3 is just too damn hard. On a single play I can't even get past the first 3rd of the game in TC3, where as I can almost finish TC2 on a single play.

MottZilla
01-10-2006, 01:22 AM
I just got TC2 today. It's as great as I remember from the arcade. I can see with enough practice being able to get through it on a single set of lives. I've got lots more playing to do, but I'm definitely gonna keep an eye out for Crisis Zone and Time Crisis 3. It's a shame there aren't more guncon games, and ones without horrible voice acting. TC2 wasn't bad, but Vampire Night still has the japanese lip sync I believe, plus a broken japanese to english dialog. Quite painful at times.

I have 4 lightguns now too. It's such a shame TC2's dual gun mode doesn't let one player use 2 GunCon2 controllers and the other player use 2 GunCon1 controllers.

Darth Marsden
01-14-2006, 09:10 PM
I don't own any LightGun games, but then I HAVE just got a PS2 and I haven't got round to picking up any games or guns yet, but I do love them in the arcade. I have been known to waste £10 in change in those babies. Can't wait till I can avoid loosing all that coinage.

MottZilla
01-15-2006, 02:08 AM
That's excellent. You need to get yourself Time Crisis 2 for sure. And the proper Namco GunCon 2 as well. Two player rather sucks though if you don't have link play with 2 systems. The problem is PS2s versions 9 and on (includes the slimline) DON'T have the firewire port! It was a third port on the blue panel with the 2 USB ports. This was used to link some games so you could play on two seperate TVs, and that means two seperate dedicated graphics processing units rendering your display. Without such, the game slows down, and the screen is squished to fit both views.

By yourself though, it's perfect. I still need to get Area 51. Lethal Enforcers was fun, I played that tonight. It can be really insane though. Esspecially the second game.

Mak-X
01-16-2006, 08:29 PM
I played a lot of Time Crisis 3 in Ocean City, I thought it was really good. I liked switching between weapons. I didn't care to play TC2 much afterwards.

On the SNES, I have the Super Scope along with Super Scope 6, Battle Clash, Metal Kombat: Falcon's Revenge, and Yoshi's Safari. Metal Kombat: Falcon's Revenge was great, played through it on most of the difficulty settings.

Darth Marsden
01-21-2006, 02:51 PM
I've got hold of the Point Blank trilogy, and they're quite fun. Still trying to pick up a decent PS1/PS2 Time Crisis-style game cheaply, but they're out there somewhere... Most irritating thing is that my hand hurts after holding the gun for a while!

Oh - I went with this gun in the end, 'cause it was a tenner and didn't have any negative reviews. It's actually pretty good. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CDKV5O/qid=1137341113/br=3-9/br_lfncs_vg_h__9/202-6232883-5778268)

MottZilla
01-21-2006, 10:53 PM
That gun looks pretty neat. How's the recoiling slide action? And how's the accuracy? You can definitely see a difference between the GunCon2 by Namco, and a 3rd party GunCon 1 lightgun. The GunCon2 moves smoothly where as cheaper products are more shakey.

Sometime I would like to get some lightguns with recoiling slides.

VT_Hokie_Fan
01-24-2006, 04:36 PM
I have a light gun. I have Ninja Assault. Two levels of that game and you will feel like your fingers are about to fall off. It takes like 7 shots to kill an enemy and it's a pretty hard game, but I practiced and I got pretty good at it. Can't play it with friends because they tire out too quickly. I'm sure NA is probably $20 or under if you already have a lightgun. Fun game. Check it out.

MottZilla
01-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Well the thing is I can rarely find ANY lightgun game in a store. I have to find it online. Vampire Night was new/sealed in a game store that sells mostly used games and some new sealed titles. I still haven't gotten Time Crisis 3 but I'm looking.

Darth Marsden
01-25-2006, 06:27 AM
Mottzilla: There is no recoil! At least, not on any PS1 LightGun games. And the accuracy is pretty good. It's not a proper GenCon, but then again I did want one which was cheap, looked vaguely like a real gun and didn't suck. So I think I win!

I did find Time Crisis & Project Titan in the end, and they're both fun, but for some reason during these games (and ONLY these games) the little light that comes out of my gun turns itself off if you don't move the gun! Gah! Otherwise it's all good.

ZTC
01-25-2006, 01:46 PM
I have the orignal NES LightGun with 2 games, Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley.
I've played a few gun-based games, including Virtua Cop 2, at an arcade a few years, and I loved em. Anybody got a reccomendation or two for PSX LightGun games?

Darth Marsden
01-25-2006, 02:02 PM
For the PS1 - Point Blank 3 for the target practice, and then the Time Crisis series (TC and it's sequel, TC Project Titan). You should be able to pick them up quite cheaply these days - Time Crisis cost me £1.47 or something.

I don't know about PS2 games, becaue I haven't got any. Give me time though...

Rainman
01-25-2006, 03:18 PM
Curse you for reminding me of when I sold my NES stuff! That was probably one of the more retarded decisions on my life. I sold my childhood for $20.

MottZilla
01-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Hey rainman, I remember back when SNES was out we sold all our NES shit for alot less than what it was probably worth then, and less than its worth now most likely. So I know how that is. Besides, all that stuff you could buy again now or emulate.

PS2 Guncon games:
Vampire Night
Time Crisis 2
Time Crisis 3
Crisis Zone
Ninja Assault
Namco Gun Collection (which is Point Blank 1-3 and Time Crisis 1)

Sadly that's about it that I know of. You can expand on this (though you need PSX lightguns) with these PS1 games.

Lethal Enforcers 1&2
Area 51
Time Crisis
Time Crisis Project Titan
Crypt Killer

There are some others i can't recall. I need Time Crisis 3 and Crisis Zone. I'm also missing that Namco Collection and the Ninja Assault game. For PSX I only have Lethal Enforcers, I want Area 51. If anyone has any of these and wants to trade *wink wink* let me know. I've been unable to find any lightgun games from certain non-official sources thus far. But I'd be more than happy to help someone else out with a trade of sorts.

ZTC
01-25-2006, 04:48 PM
There are some others i can't recall. I need Time Crisis 3 and Crisis Zone. I'm also missing that Namco Collection and the Ninja Assault game. For PSX I only have Lethal Enforcers, I want Area 51. If anyone has any of these and wants to trade *wink wink* let me know. I've been unable to find any lightgun games from certain non-official sources thus far. But I'd be more than happy to help someone else out with a trade of sorts.

Hell, I can see what the family-run VG store has; if I find anything, I'll let you know.

And thanks to everybody for the reccomendations. ;)

Rainman
01-25-2006, 05:43 PM
Hey rainman, I remember back when SNES was out we sold all our NES shit for alot less than what it was probably worth then, and less than its worth now most likely. So I know how that is. Besides, all that stuff you could buy again now or emulate.
I actually sold it once I got an Nintendo 64. I didn't use it that much after I went 3D so my parents convinced my brother and I to give it up. Now, since my Nintendo 64 was stolen after my sister borrowed it, all of my gaming youth has been taken away. Yeah, I could buy another system probably, but it still would be great to have my original system. It'd be great to still have all the things like my ole' light gun. It's such a shame. :shakeno:

MottZilla
01-26-2006, 01:32 AM
Ya I know what you mean. Personally I never let anyone borrow anything of mine for those sort of reasons. And I know how parents can be about the getting rid of stuff. A friend of mine I remember him telling me that his parents wouldn't let him get some new system (N64 I think) until he got rid of his Sega Genesis. I never understood and still don't see how that makes any sense at all.

Darth Marsden
01-27-2006, 02:32 PM
Yeah, old games can be the best sometimes. I've got shelves and shelves of old games I just can't bear to get rid of, despite the fact that I never play them anymore. Hell, I haven't even plugged my N64 in for 6 months at least, but the games are still there, calling to me...

Goes to play Banjo Tooie

Pryme8
01-27-2006, 02:47 PM
TC3 is beast, and pretty easy if you have a fast shot...

MottZilla
01-27-2006, 02:55 PM
I just bought TC3 online and will be waiting for it. I'm also wondering if/when Time Crisis 4 will have a home release.

Rainman
01-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Yeah, old games can be the best sometimes. I've got shelves and shelves of old games I just can't bear to get rid of, despite the fact that I never play them anymore. Hell, I haven't even plugged my N64 in for 6 months at least, but the games are still there, calling to me...

Goes to play Banjo Tooie
Hey, could I... borrow your n64?

vegeta1215
01-27-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm also wondering if/when Time Crisis 4 will have a home release.

There's a Time Crisis 4? :odd:

Mak-X
01-27-2006, 09:28 PM
1up has a preview
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3146850&did=1

Darth Marsden
01-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey, could I... borrow your n64?Dude, eBay for one! I'm not jetting over to the states just to lend you a 5 year old console. :rolleyes:

Time Crisis 4? Glee! :giggle:

MottZilla
01-29-2006, 03:32 AM
Time Crisis 4 is slated to hit the arcades sometime in the summer this year.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/data/931615.html

Rainman, I'd sell you my N64. It's just a paperweight in my hands since I don't use it.