View Full Version : Odd weather lately.

algam86
01-02-2006, 03:20 PM
This is strange. It's January, in the dead of winter, and it's about 71 degrees outside. It's never been warm enough to wear a T-shirt outside at this time of the year. I understand how us living near a river (Ohio; I live in Louisville, KY) makes the weather a little warmer than normal, but this is too much even for the river...

Actually, the weather's been pretty funky this year. We had snow in May during Derby week. This is the only year I remember that we didn't have any snow for Christmas. And let's not forget all the hurricanes we had this year, the tsunami, and all the other crap that happened.

I just had to get that out of my head.

moocow
01-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Yeah, we had a thunderstorm on Friday (I think), which was crazy. It was 60 something degrees one day last week. 47 today. Wtf is up with this shit? I swear to God if it snows on my birthday (June 12, buy me presents), I'll cry.

gdorf
01-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Where I live the forecast is between 40-50 degrees and "showers" for the next 10 days. Meh.

ShadowTiger
01-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Dude, Algam, you live in the same town as Giz/McCrackin. Look for 'im. :p

The weather has definitely been a hell of a lot warmer than it's supposed to be. At this time of the season, I'd be in my heavy coat. I left my (rain)coat in the car today for whatever I was going to be dealing with. Meh.

goKi
01-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Here, it was 110 degrees plus between 9am and 7pm yesterday

Dechipher
01-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Oklahoma is on fire.
I think there were 30 fires here yesterday. Nothing in Bville yet, but it's sure to head up.

Yoshiman
01-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Up here in Erie PA, it's been raining for several days straight. It's been around 30-40 degrees with no snow. Normally, we'd have at least a foot of snow and the temperatures would be around 10 degrees. A few days ago, it was warm enough to go outside with a hoodie. O_o We normally have snow up until April, and sometimes May.

Machiavelli
01-02-2006, 11:09 PM
The weather has definitely been a hell of a lot warmer than it's supposed to be. At this time of the season, I'd be in my heavy coat. I left my (rain)coat in the car today for whatever I was going to be dealing with. Meh.

Yea, It is a lot warmer than usual. I was outside waiting for my cousin the other day in just a sweater. Very unusual, expecially for me, because I got cold quickly.

Archibaldo
01-03-2006, 01:08 AM
Tell me about it. When I went to NYC in November, here in Canada it was friggin cold. But in New York it was warmer than t-shirt weather. Then here in Quebec, we didn't get snow untill like December 20th.

moocow
01-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Weather for Heath, OH as of 7:54 AM EST: Conditions: Cloudy, Temperature: 49F/9C, Feels like: 49F/9C, Barometer: 29.74 and rising, Wind: From the North-Northeast at 3 MPH, Humidity: 93%

I kind of like it. I can wear a sweatshirt and be comfortable.

koopa
01-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Do you put this weather down to a "freak of nature" or do you believe in "global warming"?

algam86
01-03-2006, 08:35 PM
I don't think global warming is quite that drastic. They say global warming should -only- raise the temperature 2 to 3 degrees Celsius over about 50-100 years. I believe global warming happens, and is happening, but I don't think it can cause the temperature to be in the seventies in mid-winter.

Yeah...yesterday we had a thunderstorm...and a tornado. I didn't get hit, but it was close. It hit Herdin County, but since it was F1-F2 tornado, it didn't do as much damage as it could've. Luckily, it was short. Afterwards, it got down to about 55 degrees, and today, it didn't get past the mid-forties. I guess it was just a freak of nature.

copsgotguns
01-04-2006, 12:27 PM
the polar ice caps are melting! it was 50 degrees in nyc christmas eve

MacWeirdo42
01-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Hey, 2-3 degrees is plenty to totally throw off major weather systems. That's the real danger with global warming - it's not that it's simply going to get hotter, but the global weather system is highly susceptible to seemingly minute changes. I mean, just look what happened with the last major El Nino... Pretty screwy, and that was just a change in the Pacific Ocean.

Don't get me wrong, I have no idea whether or not the weird weather lately is due to global warming (and it has been weird - heck, last year on Christmas it snowed here in McAllen, TX, near the Mexican border, after a week in the 80s, and then it went back up to the 80s a couple of days later, and on top of that, the snow actually stuck - first time that had happened in 109 years or something like that). I'm also not saying for sure that it's the result of human activity, because although it's a fairly good theory, we honestly have no idea how climactic change works, so this might be normal or something. Point is though that I think global warming could be a very real and serious problem, and at least we should start being concerned about the weather changes lately.