PDA

View Full Version : Two Words: Speed Kills

vegeta1215
12-29-2005, 12:46 AM
I got the new Prince of Persia game for Christmas, and I am having a blast!

One of the coolest things they added is the new speed kill system where you can sneak up on enemies and kill them with some timed button presses. It makes fighting a lot more fun. Playing as the Dark Prince adds some variety and really makes you sweat since your health continually drains, and is a nice addition.

Anyways, this game is awesome. Anyone else here current gen PoP fans?

ONeilcool
12-29-2005, 12:55 AM
I own the first 2 games. I love Sands of time and it was a great game. I played alot Warrior within one but I didnt finish it. It just didn't seem to get into it enough.I didnt like the fact that it was a lot darker. I thought it was better when it was lighter. Im thinking about buying Two thrones , but I dont know If I'll get into it enough. I don't wanna stop playing it like I did with Warrior within.Would you say Two thrones is better then Warrior within was?

vegeta1215
12-29-2005, 01:05 PM
I didn't play Warrior Within, but all the things I read about it, specifically the things people didn't like about Warrior Within compared to Sands of Time, have been fixed.

The voice actor who did the Prince in SoT is back in Two Thrones. He talks and narrates like he did in the first one, which makes a huge difference in my opinion. Kaileena, the empress of time, also narrates sometimes. The free form fighting system is back from WW, which is nice because the fighting in SoT was very limited, but thankfully you don't get hoards and hoards of enemies coming at you anymore (save for a few times as Dark Prince, but even those times there are not tons of enemies), and a lot of fights you can avoid if you get good at speed kills - which as I said in my first post, are a blast.

The game is now back to a linear path, not free roaming like WW. Oh! No more heavy metal music! That was a big complaint from WW. Lets see...there are some neat new platforming elements, like shutters, knife levers, and these spots on walls that you can stab your knife into and cling on. Sliding down chasms is neat. Dark Prince's Daggertail is fun as it lets you swing around the stages (reminded me of the grappling hook in Wind Waker, except you don't have to aim) The chariot races are fun. Bosses are cool and involve some platforming during battles. Farah is back too! (not sure if it's the same voice actor)

Lots of stuff basically. Seems like they melded the best parts of SoT and WW together.

gdorf
12-30-2005, 02:04 PM
I started Sand of Time when it came for free with my video card, but I didn't really card for it. I loved exploring the maps, but whenever I fought enemies it seemed clunky. I only played and hour or two into it though, so maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.

I have to admit running across walls and climbing around poles felt very fluid. I'd like to see it as more of a stealth game and less of a fighting game though. :shrug:

edit: And I just want to point out that I was pleasently surprised when I opened this thread. I was expecting a story about a videogamer on speed who died in front of the television.

Darth Marsden
01-11-2006, 02:12 PM
I got this literally a day after it came down in price. Having completed Two Thrones two days after buying it, I have to say it was a blast from start to finish. They've taken all the best bits from SoT and WW and added even more great bits to make what could be considered the best of the three. If you can get it on PC, then do so. I hear some of the bonus stuff is taken out for the GC version, and it's all good.

Minor niggles... One or two of the boss battles were a little unfair (the twins one was a tad insane) and the chariot sections were a little unwieldly, but since they're only two of them I can't really complain to much. Also Kaileena talking every time you go into the menu (whether to save or not) did get a bit grating after a while. But they're all small issues that don't detract from the game.

What else was there to like? The speed kills were very nice indeed, the music was kick-ass (even though I liked the rock from WW), I loved the end cutscene which tied into the first game - "Time is like an ocean...", the Dark Prince sections were great and I loved how he'd argue with himself during the slightly routine platforming sections to keep things interesting.

Also note how few, if any, other games have done this sort of platforming. I know this is the end of the current PoP series, but I hope the team apply the knowledge gained here and make some more seriously kick-ass platformers. Looking forward to what the team does next.

vegeta1215
01-11-2006, 06:48 PM
I just finished replaying Sands of Time today, man what an awesome game. It is perfect except for some frustrating moments fighting (where there are too many enemies and cramped spaces) I kind of want to play Warrior Within now, despite the negative things I've heard about it.

I thought the twin soldier fight in The Two Thrones was a pain until I figured out what to do.

Saffith
01-12-2006, 12:04 AM
They've taken all the best bits from SoT and WW and added even more great bits to make what could be considered the best of the three.Indeed. They kept the combat system from WW and added speed kills on top of that. Aside from that, it's more like SoT, plus a bunch of fun new acrobatic stuff.
And the story, I thought, was quite good, especially the ending.

I kind of want to play Warrior Within now, despite the negative things I've heard about it.Ah, go for it. Yeah, it's easily the worst of the three, but that's still pretty good.

MottZilla
01-12-2006, 01:28 AM
I loved Sands of Time. I thought it was excellent. Warrior Within I got too since I liked SoT so much. I was quite disappointed. It wasn't as interesting or as fun to play for me. I never did finish it. I have been interested in the new one and if I get it I would consider getting it on PC rather than any other platform. I should get SoT for PC too.

vegeta1215
01-12-2006, 02:33 AM
I heard that in Warrior Within, the Prince does not narrate or talk to himself like in SoT and in TTT. Is this true?

Darth Marsden
01-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Partly true. He does narrate, although not to the same degree, although I don't seem to remember him talking to himself during the game. He does talk during the many short cutscenes (which used to occasionally crash my PC DVD version when I skipped them), but I think that's about it. I am intending to replay the trilogy though, so I may well turn out to be wrong.

And to agree with Saffith, WW is the weakest of the three, but that's not a bad thing! It just means they hadn't quite refined some of the things which would work so well in TT, such as the music and the weapons system. Still a good game, but the others are better.

BTW, vegeta1215 - nice sig.

vegeta1215
01-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Sorry for all the Warrior Within questions, but people say there is Godsmack music in the game. Are there actual Godsmack tracks in the game, with lyrics, etc? Or are people just using "Godsmack" to describe the style of heavy music that is in the game?

Darth Marsden
01-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Happy to answer.

There's 2 Godsmack songs, but they're both sans lyrics. As far as I can remember, you only hear them on the main menu (when you first load the game) and during the Dahaka chase scenes. The rest of the music is sort of a blend between rock and Persian, with more emphasis on the rock. Honestly, it's not as bad as you may think.

If you're still not sure, try the demo. (http://www.gamedaily.com/download/info/?packageid=0078700100) If you do, make sure you go straight for the wall-run after the mini cut-scene ("What do you want from me?"), because going the other direction literally leads nowhere.

vegeta1215
01-15-2006, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the info.

However, I don't have Windows...I think I'm just gonna get it next time I see it for Gamecube.

vegeta1215
01-27-2006, 11:14 PM
I picked up Warrior Within the other day and I am very much enjoying it. The music doesn't bug me as much as I thought it would, but I'm still getting used to the voices (they aren't bad, they're just different) I love the environments and puzzles though.

I haven't encountered any glitches yet, and I'm being extra cafeful by having multiple saves. btw, I just activated the Water Tower if anyone is curious.

Darth Marsden
01-28-2006, 06:22 PM
I finished replaying the trilogy the other day. All cool games, but there are definately some minor irritations that an extra month or two dev time would have solved! The subtitles in Two Thrones for instance - mentioned in the manual, but not in the game. Bah! Also - who the hell decided to put scantily clad women in Warrior Within? Shadee must have been freezing on that boat!

Not sure if it's in the Gamecube version, but try to get both endings in Warrior Within (You unlock a second, cooler ending that's what The Two Thrones starts with if you get all 9 life upgrades (http://www.gamespot.com/features/6115082/p-28.html)) - if you do, you unlock some bonus movies that are pretty cool.

vegeta1215
01-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to get all the life upgrades so I can see both endings.

Speaking of Shadee's outfit: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/12/03 :D

UPDATE: Related Penny Arcade comics:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/11/14 (PoP: Sands of Time)
http://www.princeofpersiagame.com/us/community/index.php (PoP: The Two Thrones)
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/01/30 (BG&E, just because)

Darth Marsden
01-29-2006, 12:35 PM
You know, that BG&E one could easily apply to Two Thrones as well... ;)

This one's kinda Two Thrones : http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/01/09

EDIT: Using the guide I linked, get the first eight life upgrades, create a seperate save game, then finish the game and get the standard ending - it'll give you the option to save after the credits, so create another save game. Then go back, load your old save game, get the last upgrade and then finish the game again. Save your game after the credits again and hey presto! Bonus movies unlocked. I like the G4 'History of PoP' special.

vegeta1215
01-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Weird, that life upgrade guide is identical to the one I've been using from on AOL Games: http://videogames.aol.com/game_cheats?articleID=270839&page=28&gameID=14582

So far I have a really old save from right before I have to activate the towers, one save from right after I activated the water tower, and then my current one where I'm progressing through the clock tower. I think I'll be good.

btw, maybe you know the answer to this - is there a way to get back to the Beach (starting area in the present) later in the game? I think I missed the very first artwork chest.

Darth Marsden
01-30-2006, 07:59 AM
I haven't tried it, but I think you should be able to do it. Have a go when you try to get that last life upgrade. Alternatively, just start the game again. Once you've got a chest, it stays 'got', if that makes sense.

EDIT: Given that the series has ended now, wouldn't it be really nice if Ubisoft let us have some mapping/modding/editing tools so we could make out own adventures? Wouldn't that just be the best thing ever? Maybe then someone could make a decent Catwoman game...

vegeta1215
02-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Finished Warrior Within today - what an awesome game. I really liked all the time travel stuff, and the parts with the Sand Wraith were genius. (major deja-vu) I also managed to get both endings, and all the artwork chests and weapon gallery items too.

If it weren't for the glitches, I'd say WW is almost as good as Sands of Time. Thankfully I didn't hit any game ending glitches, although I think I triggered one while playing on an alternate save file (from earlier in the game) to get some artwork chests I missed.

Now that I've played SoT and WW back to back, I just have to get my copy of Two Thrones back from my friend to replay that. :)

Darth Marsden
02-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Glad you enjoyed it. It is the worst of the three, but again, that's not really a bad thing, huh?

The big question I wanna know is: What do you play when you've finished all three? I tried the Catwoman game, but that crap. What else is there? I need something similiar (besides Ico), and I can't find anything! Help!

vegeta1215
02-02-2006, 09:18 PM
I'm gonna play through Two Thrones again. After that I'm not sure.

I bought Lost in Blue for the DS but haven't touched it since I first got it. I played it for an hour or so, but quickly became frustrated with trying to keep my characters full and not sleepy. I should probably pick that back up. Aside from that, I can always go back and play the extra modes in the other games I have.

EDIT: Oh...you're asking if I know of a good game to play after playing PoP? Hmmm...that's really tough - the PoP games are easily some of the best games of this generation. Plus, I think you've already played a lot of the games I own.

vegeta1215
02-23-2006, 05:52 PM
I figured I'd pull this topic back up instead of creating a new one... anyways, I finished playing Two Thrones and then played Warrior Within AGAIN! (this time on Normal difficulty) What an awesome game. I almost wanna say WW is my favorite of the series, but it lacks the charm of SoT.

There has been one thing bugging me though. Despite how great Two Thrones was, I am a little disappointed in the FMVs, specifically, how they changed the faces of the Prince and Kaileena. Both of their faces looked so good in WW - they looked very life like. In Two Thrones, the Prince looks like a freakin duck. His lips look weird and his facial expressions are stale looking. Kaileena looks very different too, and not nearly as hot. Plus, they made her breasts a more tasteful size, which is ok, but I won't lie - I loved the fan service of WW :naughty:

Anyone else feel this way about the FMVs in TT?

punkonjunk1024
02-23-2006, 08:09 PM
I see so much reference to this game series.
Can someone tell me what the first one is, second, and third, and what attracts you guys to them? I might consider picking one up.
Can I get some screens maybe, some gameplay analyzation, ect? Systems its on?

vegeta1215
02-23-2006, 08:38 PM
The games are:
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

All are found on Gamecube, PS2, X-Box and PC. They are action/platforming games. Check out the official site for info/pics: http://www.princeofpersiagame.com/. I initially picked up The Sands of Time because I kept hearing so many good things about it. After researching it (by reading reviews, etc) I just decided to get it, without even trying it before hand. I fell in love with the series after that.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
02-23-2006, 11:11 PM
Have you ever played the original prince of persia? For SNES?

IT'S FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE.

TWO HOURS HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO COMPLETE A MASSIVE GAME WITH TERRIBLE CONTROLS AND RIDICULOUS JUMPING DIFFICULTY IN TWO HOURS AUGH THE FARTHEST I'VE EVER GOTTEN IS LIKE THE FIFTH LEVEL AND THERE'S LIKE THIRTY LEVELS HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT IN TWO HOURS ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH

vegeta1215
02-23-2006, 11:57 PM
You can unlock the original PoP in The Sands of Time. I tried playing it, but the controls are terrible, like you said. And I think you only have one hour to finish it, not two.

Darth Marsden
02-28-2006, 12:08 PM
The games are:
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

You forgot the original trilogy:

Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow & The Flame
Prince of Persia 3D

...but then again, so do most people.

As for unlocking the original PoP in SoT... how'd you do that? The only one I was aware of is the remake of the first level in the SoT engine. It's surprising how badly it translates... especially since there's no enemies to fight...

Zorlo... it was made in a different time. People were actually that good 10 years ago. I finished the SNES version (amazingly) once, but I will concede it was bloody hard. FYI, the original version for the PC only had about 15 levels to be completed in an hour. I know, I've been playing around with it. (http://homepages.tesco.net/steveemarsden/Games/OoTBeta5.exe) The SNES version, which is basically the ULTIMATE version, had about 30 levels and an increased timespan as a result - two hours. It also looked much nicer. If you have to play one of them, play the rom of this. Save States have never been so useful.

Vegeta - I've played Two Thrones 8 times now and my current Sand Credit total is 13456 (really). IMHO, the cutscenes in Warrior Within are good, but the ones in Two Thrones are better - just. You've gotta admit, Farah looks bloody amazing. I never liked Kaileena - skimpy clothes just don't do it for me ;) Plus, I'm not a huge fan of Monica whats-her-surname.

vegeta1215
02-28-2006, 02:49 PM
I didn't forget about the earlier games, I didn't list them cause we weren't talking about them. In regards to unlocking the original PoP:

After you get the sword that can break walls, go through the cavern until you get to a lever and break the wall north of it. Go into the passage. (Taken from Gamefaqs)

Moving the lever opens a door, but you can keep turning the lever until it faces a wall. Do so and then break the wall open with your sword. A stairway will be behind it. You can climb the stairway and play the original PoP, or just continue SoT and access the original PoP later from the game menu (where it is now unlocked in the extras section). On the X-Box version you can unlock the second PoP also, but I don't know how to do that.

I'll play WW and Two Thrones again on Hard mode, but not for a while.

Darth Marsden
02-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Thanks. Make sure you get in plenty of free-form fighting practice, that's where the added difficulty lies. :evil:

SeirraMist
02-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Eh... I think I remeber playing this when I was going through all my familys wonderful collection of snes games... I cant remeber how old I was (somewhere between 9 and 11) but I think I could play about 40 seconds into the game before getting killed... I got angry and stormed off, never playing it again (similar fate was had by FFTatics, a game that I really want to play again but cannont find ><) One of these days (proboly soon) Ill pick it back up :P

vegeta1215
02-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks. Make sure you get in plenty of free-form fighting practice, that's where the added difficulty lies. :evil:

Don't worry, I'm pretty proficient with the FFF system already. I know which moves can do the most damage, and can pull off the acrobatic combos each time almost without fail. My biggest concern (mainly for WW) is the boss fights.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
03-01-2006, 05:36 PM
you beat the snes version

of prince of persia

YOU WHORE

YOU FUCKING FUCKING WHORE ;-;

Darth Marsden
03-01-2006, 06:00 PM
you beat the snes version

of prince of persia

YOU WHORE

YOU FUCKING FUCKING WHORE ;-;Once, and once only. And I've thrashed Two Thrones 8 times now and counting, twice on Hard.

PS: I'm so putting that quote in my sig.
PPS: Should I mention it was a rom? Nah, that'd ruin all the fun. :sly: