PDA

View Full Version : Interactions Between The Bow, Arrows, Quiver, And Ammunition:

ShadowTiger
12-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Okay, concerning the bow and arrows, we now have four entities we must keep track of:

1) The Bow.
2) The "Arrow" Item. (Wooden, Silver, and Golden.)
3) The Quiver. - The ability to store the arrows.
4) The Arrow Ammunition - 1, 5, 10, and 30 pieces.

Alright. Suppose you only had a few of these items at once. Suppose you had the Bow and the "Arrow" item. What does this mean? The Bow allows you to FIRE the arrows, but if you have no ammunition, what do you do with the arrow item itself?

Ssomething interesting DN said in irc.initialized.org (Which you should all flock to! O_O Lots of ZC Activity down there.) relating to this issue:

[16:19] <DarkNation-AG> Hrmmm... Interesting...
[16:20] <DarkNation-AG> A quest rule: "Bow = Max Arrows + 1"
[16:20] <DarkNation-AG> Like the bow has an arrow holder on it.
[16:20] <DarkNation-AG> So, your maxes would be 1, 31, 61, and 100.

So, apparently, according to DN, if you have this arrow item, (AKA, the -ABILITY- to hold arrows. Quivers only expand on that ability.) you can shoot a single arrow. If you shoot that arrow, you still retain the ability to use arrows, only you need to pick up another one.

If you only have a bow and a quiver, you cannot shoot. (IMHO.) You have the tool, (The Bow.) and the ammunition, (If you have arrows in the quiver, that is.) but you do not possess the ability to shoot arrows. (The arrow item.)

So, what was proposed, was, a quest rule where if you have the bow, you can automatically shoot wooden arrows. (If the quest rule is on, the bow is both the bow and the wooden arrows, so you get both at the same time.)

The quiver is an expansion for arrows, and nothing more. It allows you to carry 30 or 31, then 60 or 61, and 99 or ... 99, I guess. Very good stuff, really. It doesn't allow you to use any actual arrows though. You can only carry them.

Okay. So. Best case scenario, with the Bow = Bow+WoodArrow Quest Rule, If you have -ANY- item except the ammo, you can carry arrows. If you have the bow, but nothing else, you can automatically shoot at least one arrow. If you have the arrow item but nothing else, you can carry -one- arrow. If you have a quiver, you can carry 30/60/90 arrows, but can't shoot them. If you only find ammo, you can walk over 'em and collect 'em, but nothing happens. You don't actually carry them. Probably not even one.

Thoughts?

Dlbrooks33
12-27-2005, 09:00 PM
great suggestion, but wouldn't that be a problem as when you kill enemies, they don't drop arrow pickups...so how would you keep ammunition?

Freedom
12-27-2005, 09:31 PM
right now every time you grab a rupie you get an arrow too.

Praethus
12-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Only when True Arrows is unchecked.

Jigglysaint
12-29-2005, 08:49 PM
If you think about it like how it works in Zelda 3, getting the bow item automatically gives you all three items, a bow, arrows, and a small quiver. I propose a new item that gives you all three in one package, and then subsquent upgrades will upgrade each. So far we have one bow upgrade, 2 arrow upgrades, and 2 more quiver upgrades. That totals 5 additions to the bow system. That is actually a lot for the average sized game.

My proposition is to make a quest rule that along with enabling true arrows, would make the bow 1 item give you all three of these things, while getting the othe 2 seperatly would do nothing. That is, no bow, no arrow, no quiver. I also think that quivers(and bomb bags), could also add a certain ammount to your total. I know that's not exactly how it works in the Zelda universe, but being able to add 5 arrows at a time would allow for a more ammo controled enviroment, not to mention more side quest appeal.

Edit: I overread BH4's post. He suggested the same thing basically. However, I suggest it as a quest rule that fills out the whole package, that is, bow gives you arrows, arrow pickups are enabled, and so forth instead of a new bow item.