PDA

View Full Version : Because Every Second Is Gold:

ShadowTiger
12-27-2005, 12:02 PM
WASHINGTON - Get ready for a minute with 61 seconds. Scientists are delaying the start of 2006 by the first “leap second” in seven years, a timing tweak meant to make up for changes in the Earth’s rotation. The adjustment will be carried out by sticking an extra second into atomic clocks worldwide at the stroke of midnight Coordinated Universal Time, the widely adopted international standard, the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology said this week.

“Enjoy New Year’s Eve a second longer,” the institute said in an explanatory notice. “You can toot your horn an extra second this year.”
Source (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10605881/)

Well, ... ... Enjoy your extra second, I guess. :p

It is sort of amazing to me that they are able to calculate "time" down to the very millisecond. Gone are the days where it was hour by hour in Sunday through Saturday and back again.

I will say this though. The day they add six new digits to your digital wristwatch, (And heaven forbid the watches with faces!) ... ... is the day I don't update. Nobody is THAT punctual. :odd:

Toolie
12-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Well, seeing as how the trend for and types of chronographs is to synchronize with an atomic time standard (like desktop computers and synchronized GMT via the internet), chances are that if your watch isn't already going to automatically synchronize at midnight, it probably will someday quite soon.

copsgotguns
12-27-2005, 09:05 PM
i will enjoy that extra second this year to fullest you can possibly enjoy a second.

ONeilcool
12-27-2005, 09:24 PM
Right now I look at the clock on my tv and the clock on my wrist watch and there is a 2 mintue difference. Which one is right? I dont really care its close enough. If they were only off by one second I would be happy.Anyways, atleast someone cares that the world is a second off. Maybe if they watied another 7 years it might be a whole 2 seconds, God forbid!!

Archibaldo
12-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Cool, now the year is a second longer. Which means I have an extra second of vacation! Whoopee!

koopa
12-30-2005, 05:16 AM
Oh no, another second to wait until I turn 21 (1st January 2006!). Ah well, happy new year, everyone. Enjoy your extra second.