PDA

View Full Version : Rockstar selling out?

ONeilcool
12-22-2005, 11:48 PM
http://www.rockstargames.com/warehouse/

Look at the bottom right, they are selling GTA toys. 5 figures for 40$ +"artwork".It seems like a giant ripoff to me. Would any of you guys buy it? And will someone please tell me why the hell they call it Kubrick box set?

Daarkseid
12-23-2005, 12:02 AM
Rockstar sucks, who cares.

Saffith
12-23-2005, 02:45 AM
And will someone please tell me why the hell they call it Kubrick box set?Because they're Kubrick figures. They're similar to Lego people. As far as I'm aware, though, Kubricks are nothing but figures - no generic pieces like other things have.

Vagla
12-23-2005, 03:07 AM
Rockstar sucks, who cares.
What happened to the DMA days of Rockstar North, when they made games like Space Station: Silicon Valley and Body Harvest? It's a shame that they've given up on those amazing types of games in favor of what they're currently doing. :(

Breaker
12-23-2005, 07:43 AM
What happened to the DMA days of Rockstar North, when they made games like Space Station: Silicon Valley and Body Harvest? It's a shame that they've given up on those amazing types of games in favor of what they're currently doing. :(

Yeah, making successful games that make them rich is lame. They should go back to distributing garbage that barely sold at all and donate the millions they've earned off of GTA thus far to a charity.

Vagla
12-23-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm sorry for happening to prefer their creative and unique games of olde to their modern-ultraviolent crap. It's all the same thing over and over; the fact that it continues to sell so well astounds me.

And mind you, I didn't say they should give up on selling their current successful games and go back to making 'garbage' (sales do not determine a game's quality, mind you. Look at Beyond Good & Evil for an example of this. BH and SSSV are amazing games) like the two games I mentioned. I simply wish they would make more games like those two; I never said it's a realistic wish.

AlexMax
12-23-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm sorry for happening to prefer their creative and unique games of olde to their modern-ultraviolent crap. It's all the same thing over and over; the fact that it continues to sell so well astounds me.

It couldn't be the fact that they're, you know, actually fun games. I wonder that myself sometimes, but I purchased San Andreas a few months ago, and it was just as fun playing it, with the loads of new features, as it was playing GTA3 back in 2001. Also, The Warriors has been getting rave reviews from friends of mine who love blowing through the game in co-op.

It's modern and it's ultraviolent, but Rockstar has been producing far more hits lately than misses. The only two misses I can think of since GTA3 was released was State of Emergency and Red Dead Revolver.

Just because a game is a first person shooter or has gratuatis amounts of blood doesn't mean that it's shallow, or it's all been done in the same way. Take Mega Man and Mario, for instance. At their core, they're both platformers, but they play radically differently. You could equate the difference in to something like Unreal Tounrament vs Quake 3. Yeah, they look similar, but they play very differently, and both are classics.

Or you might complain that GTA San Andreas is just the same game with new locations and a few updates as the previous two games in the series. May I kindly direct you in the direction of Mega Man, which has 8 main games, 8 games in the X series (so far) and numerous spinoofs? Case closed.

As for the figures, who cares? It's not like...say...Nintendo is a stranger to selling out (http://www.hottopic.com/store/searchSKU.asp?LS=0&DOIT=YES&SSTR=Nintendo) either.

Mr. 207
12-23-2005, 10:56 PM
Selling out? Selling what out? They're in business to make money, thats the whole point. Of course they're going to do what they can to maximize the profit of their most successful franchise.

gdorf
12-24-2005, 12:36 AM
I don't see why you guys have to jump down the man's throat for having an opinion about Rockstar's games. His post seemed reasonable enough, why turn it into an argument? Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with Vagla because I do love the GTA series, but I hate to see someone hassled for having a differing opinion. Casual conversations are much more pleasant to read than a verbal gang-bang of subtle jabs. :shrug:

And, regarding the original post, I don't see a problem with the toys. If it give Rockstar more money to make quality games in the future, I am all for it. I think that once a game has sold as many copies as GTA, its officially "sold out" anyway. :)

Vagla
12-24-2005, 01:03 AM
AlexMax: I like GTA2, but their more recent games definitely aren't to my liking. So, in my opinion, they're not good games, whereas their older games were; as a result, I don't like the direction the company has gone in. I don't intend to start a war or anything. I just really don't like their current games. :(

ONeilcool
12-24-2005, 01:23 AM
Of course they're going to do what they can to maximize the profit of their most successful franchise.

In a way, isnt that what selling out is?

Im going to agree with alexmax on this one. This is boaderline selling out, not even close to what nintendo is doing. I mean, I love Mario as much as the next guy, but Mario DDR. Come on people its gotta stop somewhere.

AlexMax
12-24-2005, 01:59 AM
AlexMax: I like GTA2, but their more recent games definitely aren't to my liking. So, in my opinion, they're not good games, whereas their older games were; as a result, I don't like the direction the company has gone in. I don't intend to start a war or anything. I just really don't like their current games. :(

Goat
12-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Theyre an entertainment company that caters to all people. I know metal heads that enjoy their games, i know wiggers, posers, and preppys that all enjoy their games and have always enjoyed their games. Its hard to sell out as an entertainment company, they never once stated that they were just centering on one category of people. Selling out is usually more focused at musicians. Like take Aerosmith for example, they were one of the best rock bands ever, but in teh last 5 years they have made nothing more than pop bull shit, and even did that superbowl halftime show with n sync and britney spears, thats selling out.

AND OMG!!! 207!! Hi