PDA

View Full Version : Overworld Map Bug?

Dark Nation
12-22-2005, 12:03 PM
I've tried to reproduce the overworld map bug (that triggers secrets on layers) but have been unable to do so. I've even loaded up Link to Tortuga, turned on the overworld map quest rule, and tried from there, even specifically checking screens that I had verified to have secrets on layers. Can anyone create a tiny quest that consistently exhibits this behavior?

Freedom
12-22-2005, 12:33 PM
I can tell you exactly where I had the problem in Link to Tortuga.
It was where there was an over under bridge.

from the start go up 1. right to the waterfall (3 or 4 screens), and down to the screen that leads to town on the right, or sidewarps to map 2 below.
take the sidewarp down and go a couple screens to the east (right) and try that screen with the over under bridge.

That bridge is set up where it toggles between layer 1 and layer 3 to be under or over Link depending on where he is.

That's where I discovered the bug, but I reproduced it in some other places as well.

It acted just like it triggered secrets.

Edit to add;
You may not "see" the change in what happens, try looking at the map when you first enter that screen, and then walk across the bridge and it will have changed to over you (layer 3)

errrr... edit again,
I can't get it to happen again either DN
Don't know what the deal is, it happened everytime I checked it before, and happenend to a couple of my beta testers, now I try everything and can't get it to happen.

Dark Nation
12-22-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm still not seeing it. I've tried opening the map right when I enter the screen, just before I get on the bridge, while I'm on the bride, etc. Nothing is happening. This is using version 2.10. Can anyone reverify this bug?

Freedom
12-22-2005, 01:57 PM
I don't know DN....
I can't get it to happen now either, and before I couldn't get it to quit doing it.
I built Tortuga in 183 and then upgraded it to the 2.10 when I started on level 9, pretty much everything else was done, if that might make any difference.
I never turned the map off until I actually released it to the public because I didn't want it to cause someone to get stuck, if a person did it while standing on the bridge it transfered them to under the bridge and that would have left them stuck there without the raft to leave that lower area.

It happened it a couple of other areas too, but I can't remember now exactly where that was, although I think the crabs in the rainforest area was one of them.
They are stacked secrets on a layer as well.

Freedom
12-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Please excuse the double post, don't want DN to miss this.

Here's an example DN I just did this in the rain forest area.

I stepped into the screen and just pressed the map, notice the 4.

http://members.toast.net/mfreedom/mapbug4a.gif
http://members.toast.net/mfreedom/mapbug4b.gif

Dark Nation
12-22-2005, 03:31 PM
I just tried it. Didn't work. Are you able to consistently reproduce this?

Freedom
12-22-2005, 04:01 PM
when I first discovered it, I couldn't get it to quit.
this is the first time since I've really tried.

try turning cheats on and give yourself the clock, that's what I had on when I did the "4" just now, but didn't have it on when I tried the bridge.
Maybe that has something to do with it.

Yes, it's a consistant bug, it gave all my testers a problem as well as me, although I didn't think they were using cheats, maybe they were.
I also used "no walls" to get to the "4" screen but turned that off before testing it.

Dark Nation
12-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I used the same cheats. Does the bug happen every time you look at the map on that screen?

Freedom
12-22-2005, 05:17 PM
I just went in, went to that screen and tried the map 20 times, it triggered the secrets every time.
I exited the screen each time and came in from both east and west.

to get there, I put cheats in, in the opening screenm no wall and gave myself the bracelet 2, went 1 screen east and took the passage (3 stair warp) and then used no walls to get to that screen, then turned off no walls in the screen to the left of it.
I also tried with clock turned off a couple of those 20 times, it made no difference.

I have no idea why I can't get it to do it on the bridge any longer, I tried it about 20 times too, it doesn't show the bug..... weird.

this may be a stupid question.... are you testing this now in the 2.10?
I haven't checked this in the 2.11b5, I'll drop a copy in there and see what it does.

Dark Nation
12-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Okay. Doing it that way, I get the same results. Now, I can try to track down the problem. Thanks.

Freedom
12-23-2005, 10:26 AM
It seems to have some connection to the 3 stair warp, after using the warp and going to the bridge it triggers secrets on that screen as well.

Nicholas Steel
12-23-2005, 10:45 AM
maybe its to do with upgrading the quest.

just a thought really:rolleyes:

Questwizard88
12-23-2005, 12:17 PM
That could be, as the upgrade usually messes some things up, and the older the version that the quest is from, the more bugs it seems to end up with.

Shoelace
12-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Maybe. I have the same problem too. For example in my game, "The Hero of Dreams", there are screens that change when you check the map. For example, there is a dog standing in Autumn Town and it will change to a cat if you blow the Ocarina (the dog is on layer two). However, if you use the map, it will change to a cat without using the Ocarina.

But I did indeed was making "The Hero of Dreams" on beta 184, and moved it to 2.10. So maybe that is the problem.

Just wanted to give you more examples if you needed any.