PDA

View Full Version : A small question

firefly
12-21-2005, 11:03 PM
Hi, I've seen in some quests that when you grab the compass, key, map or any other item triggers events in other screens, for example: taking a map opens a secret path in another screen, how is it done?, does it involves secret warps? :(

King of Dwythia
12-22-2005, 08:03 PM
It is probably done by putting a tile with a trigger combo type under the item, so when link steps on that square and picks up the item, it will also trigger the secret.

Freelancer
12-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Actualy, it triggers the secret and the secret is set to make a direct warp appear where link is. Thus causing him to warp to an identical dungean, with the secrets. (insta warp)

rocksfan13
12-22-2005, 09:50 PM
How about using the boss flag. That triggers everything on that level dmap. That is more than likely what is used.
Have a guy in the room. Invivsible of course. And the item. When you pick up the item the guy goes away, thus triggering the boss flag for that level dungeon. Just have the guy as a boss flag and the areas where you want to trigger the secret flagged as boss.

firefly
01-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Reviving old thread.

Sorry, I completely forgot about this problem. :confused:
And how do you use the boss flag?, pressing F12 to bring the enemy flags and selecting Boss flag does nothing.
And then, how do you flag a room as boss, is it the same as above?, any help could be really appreciated. :)

Questions
01-26-2006, 10:44 PM
Place the secrets as needed and put the "Trigger" enemy in the room. If it continues to fail make sure the level number is the same. If it STILL fails check the screen flag "Enemies -> Secret". Still failing I don't know.

Phazite
01-26-2006, 11:02 PM
And you need the boss flag in both rooms (I think). Also make sure there are secrets to trigger.

firefly
01-26-2006, 11:17 PM
It doesn't work, could someone give me a bigger explaination please.
And you are talking about the trigger enemy, but I can't make it to trigger nothing by using a Kill all enemies. :(

Phazite
01-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Do this to make killing an enemy or boss trigger a secret in another room. Basicly, the trigger enemy is just used for making secrets happen. Put a trigger enemy on the screen where you want the secret to happen and put a "boss" screen flag and "enemies > secret" screen flag on it too. In the room where you defeat the enemy to make the secret happen, use the boss screen flag too.

For the items triggering secrets, the only way I can think of right now is to use direct warps.

Edit: You're welcome! :)

firefly
01-26-2006, 11:44 PM
Oh god, thanks, it worked!!!:D
However, Isn't there a way to use a hookshot or any other item instead of using the Kill all Enemies to trigger the secret. thanks.

firefly
01-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Sorry this double post, but it seems that this thread is getting into oblivion, again.
It's just that I want to know if there's a way to do this with any other item that's not a Kill All Enemies. :)

Nimono
01-28-2006, 06:01 PM
What do they mean by BOSS screen flag? Do they mean the Dungeon Boss enemy flag?

firefly
01-28-2006, 06:09 PM
The boss flag is for triggering events in other screens, you can use it to, for example: when pressing a switch, opening a new path on the level that guides you to the boss or to another item.
You can do it by:

Do this to make killing an enemy or boss trigger a secret in another room. Basicly, the trigger enemy is just used for making secrets happen. Put a trigger enemy on the screen where you want the secret to happen and put a "boss" screen flag and "enemies > secret" screen flag on it too. In the room where you defeat the enemy to make the secret happen, use the boss screen flag too.

For the items triggering secrets, the only way I can think of right now is to use direct warps.

Edit: You're welcome! :)
But the problem is, I can't figure how to activate the trigger enemy without using a Kill All Enemies.

Nimono
01-28-2006, 06:17 PM
That still doesn't tell me if this boss flag is supposed to be under Screen Flags or if it's the Dungeon Boss flag under Enemy Flags....

Edit: I think it IS the Dungeon Boss Flag. After all, when enemies are defeated in a room with that flag, the "Boss Roar SFX" screen flag is "deleted" on all the screens that have it.

firefly
01-28-2006, 06:20 PM
It's on enemy flags, (F12) and the Trigger enemy must be the set on the first slot in the enemy menu, AND you must have the screen flag (F10) Enemies->Secret checked.

Edit: It isn't the boss roar SFX.

Nimono
01-28-2006, 06:26 PM
I know it's not. I was merely stating that I remembered that the Dungeon Boss screen flag removed the effects of Boss Roar SFX. Does that mean that the Dungeon Boss flag activates the secret flags on other screens?

firefly
01-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Yes, it triggers the secret combos on other screens that have the Trigger enemy and Enemies->Secret, and it's very useful for making One-time events and other cool things.

Edit: Now I'm sure that in some quest, when you get the Whistle, the traps that were blocked by blocks start moving in the entire level, but I can't make the secret trigger when geting any item that's not a Kill all Enemies, and I'm certain that he wasn't using any guy in that room, the item was next to the right wall and not in the center.

Nimono
01-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Cool! I'm gonna try it myself to see if I understand it as well as I think I do...

Phazite
01-29-2006, 02:07 AM
I could be wrong, but the enemy doesn't have to be a trigger enemy. I'm also trying to figure out how the item triggering thing works too. I'll tell you if I find out a way without warps.

Phazite
01-29-2006, 10:09 PM
I found something.

Event Type 3 - Picking Up an Item

Situation: Picking up an item in one room will trigger an event on another screen.

Setup: This one works a bit differently. On screen A, place a guy and a string. Set the room type to Special Item, and set the Special Item to be the one you want to pick up. Also check the Dungeon Boss flag. Setup Screen B the same as in the other two.

Result: When you get the item from the person the person will disappear. This triggers Dungeon Boss flags. This will then trigger the Secrets in screen B.

Sidenote: If you don't want a guy and/or string to appear, you can delete the sprites for one of the guys. Then nothing will appear. You can also set a blank string in the room so that no string will appear.

I guess the guy can be used like an enemy.

Rakki
01-29-2006, 10:29 PM
One way I know of that you can trigger the dungeon boss flag is by setting it up like normal, but not using any enemies at all. As soon as you enter the screen, since there is no enemy in the screen, it assumes the "boss" is dead, and triggers the secrets. Although, this can only be used for collecting an item if you set up a tile warp to take you to an identical screen with the item in it, or something along those lines. You cannot, however, use an item other than killallenemies to trigger the dungeon boss flag. You can only use it or no enemies in the screen to trigger it.

firefly
01-29-2006, 10:53 PM
Event Type 1 - Killing enemies.

Situation: Killing all the enemies on screen will trigger an event on another screen.

Setup: Screen A will contain the enemies. Screen B will contain the event. On screen A, place your enemies. Check Dungeon Boss on the Enemy Flags screen. On screen B place a Trigger enemy, and check Dungeon Boss on the Enemy Flags screen. Also set up the Secret Combos and Flags that you want for your event. Make sure you check the Enemies -> Secret screen flag too.

Result: When you kill all the enemies on Screen A, it will trigger this Boss Flag. This will kill the Trigger enemy on Screen B, triggering the Secret Combos.

Sidenotes: In EventQuest, instead of secrets, I used a shutter. To do this, just set a Shutter door. Set a Trigger enemy and Dungeon Boss flag as normal. You don't have to worry about Enemies -> Secret for this
This also gave me some ideas!!!.

http://www.zcworld.net/filemanager/Users/LTM/Tutorial/Page12.htm

But I'm almost sure tht in this quest, he isn't using a guy, as the item is on the left wall.

Before Item (http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e95/FireflyZC/zelda047.jpg)

Getting Item (http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e95/FireflyZC/zelda048.jpg)

After Item (http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e95/FireflyZC/zelda052.jpg)

After item in another room (boss flag), proving that the boss flag is functional. (http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e95/FireflyZC/zelda053.jpg)

Phazite
01-29-2006, 11:04 PM
Here's a question. When you leave the dungeon and come back in are the 'traps' still moving around?

Rakki
01-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Oh man, I forgot about that one. And I know how that one works. The author set up the room like regular, but set the special item type as none and simply put an item at the far left side of the room. When Link got the key, it thought he got an item from the man, so it makes him and the string disappear. I know this'll work, because I've seen a quest have jars in an item shop once before, and when I got an item from the jars, it made the shop disappear, as if I had just bought something.

Edit: They should be, Link75, because it triggered the boss flag which never resets.

Phazite
01-29-2006, 11:18 PM
I just asked that question to see if that dungeon used warps or not, but now you posted how it works so nevermind.

firefly
02-04-2006, 11:39 PM
That's probably the reason of the ceiling that is made of layers, to prevent the player for seeing the guy spawning.
Or is it even possible do that?
Thanks for the help!!!

Rakki
02-05-2006, 05:47 AM
Yeah, that is possible, Firefly. Freedom used the same trick in Link to Tortuga to hide Traps in a few of the Forest screens, near the start of the game. There's probably blocks holding the enemies in place until the player gets the key as well, since that sets off the boss trigger.