PDA

View Full Version : About Dungeon Carving & Relational modes

idontknow
12-19-2005, 01:25 PM
Does anyone have a pure graphics pack with dungeon, river, & border combos already arranged in the appropriate order necessary for dungeon carving & relational modes?

Setting this up is such a pain in the butt and i'm not really sure i know how to do it correctly anyway.

Praethus
12-19-2005, 03:24 PM
DN released a quest called Relational2.qst that has them set up. You can use that as a guide. I just set mine up last night, and it wasn't too bad.

ShadowTiger
12-19-2005, 03:42 PM
And where would this quest be located exactly? O_o I did a search, but didn't quite find it.

Freedom
12-19-2005, 05:03 PM
I don't have time to search it down right now but it was in something like the beta 5 thread I think.
here's info I grabbed from it back then.

Yes, the combos have to be in a specific order. All of the combos are water (or path or whatever you are 'carving' with) combos (except for the last one, which is a land combo, and it's type is set to 'none'. The first combo is completely water. The other 46 are water with the following land pieces on them:

Top Right Corner
Top Left Corner
Top Left Corner, Top Right Corner
Bottom Left Corner
Bottom Left Corner, Top Right Corner
Bottom Left Corner, Top Left Corner
Bottom Left Corner, Top Left Corner, Top Right Corner
Bottom Right Corner
Bottom Right Corner, Top Right Corner
Bottom Right Corner, Top Left Corner
Bottom Right Corner, Top Left Corner, Top Right Corner
Bottom Right Corner, Bottom Left Corner
Bottom Right Corner, Bottom Left Corner, Top Right Corner
Bottom Right Corner, Bottom Left Corner, Top Left Corner
Bottom Right Corner, Bottom Left Corner, Top Left Corner, Top Right Corner
Right Side
Right Side, Top Left Corner
Right Side, Bottom Right Corner
Right Side, Bottom Right Corner, Top Left Corner
Top Side
Top Side, Bottom Left Corner
Top Side, Bottom Right Corner
Top Side, Bottom Left Corner, Bottom Right Corner
Top Side, Right Side
Top Side, Right Side, Bottom Left Corner
Left Side
Left Side, Top Right Corner
Left Side, Bottom Right Corner
Left Side, Top Right Corner, Bottom Right Corner
Left Side, Right Side
Left Side, Top Side
Left Side, Top Side, Bottom Right Corner
Left Side, Top Side, Right Side
Bottom Side
Bottom Side, Top Right Corner
Bottom Side, Top Left Corner
Bottom Side, Top Left Corner, Top Right Corner
Bottom Side, Right Side
Bottom Side, Right Side, Top Left Corner
Bottom Side, Top Side
Bottom Side, Top Side, Right Side
Bottom Side, Left Side
Bottom Side, Left Side, Top Right Cormer
Bottom Side, Left Side, Right Side
Bottom Side, Left Side, Top Side
Bottom Side, Left Side, Top Side, Right Side

Basically, it's a binary progression. Starting with the top right corner and progressing counter clockwise, then going through the sides, starting with the right and going counter clockwise. So, there are 8 land pieces to go through. Why, then, aren't there 256 combos? Because a side piece uses up the corners that it touches. For instance, the combo with the left and right sides touching land are touching the top right, top left, bottom left, and bottom right corners, so that one combo is used for 16 different neighboring combo possibilities.

And yes, I was drawing with only one combo, the isometric mode just changed it on the fly as it was being placed on the screen. Also, yes, you could use this for paths, grass, pits, or anything where you have two things that need to smoothly border each other.

As for dungeon walls, if it's a 1-tile high wall, it might work, but the dungeon walls in Zelda are generally 2 tiles high. It may be possible to modify the code to accomodate 2-tier changes like that, but it would exponentially increase the amount of combos you would have to set up (might be worth it, though). In any event, I'll look into it.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this idea for a while now (ever since I first saw isometric maps in StarCraft) and just recently got around to coming up with the algorithm for the combo placement.

and here was the qst addy and info

Re: Zelda Classic 2.11 Beta 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, load up the following quest file in ZQuest, then try these (make sure you select a nice looking CSet, too):
Go to map 7, screen 00. Select combo 1024, then hit the 'O' key to switch to relational mode, then start drawing. This creates rivers/lakes.
Go to map 7, screen 01. Select combo 1071 and start drawing. This creates islands/land bridges.
Go to map 7, screen 02. Select combo 2304 and start drawing. This makes grassy paths.
Map 7, screen 03. Hit the 'O' key again to switch to dungeon mode. Select combo 1280 and start drawing. This creates dungeon rooms.
Map 7, screen 04. Select combo 1536 and start drawing. This will produce dungeon rooms that are a little closer to what you are used to.
Map 7, screen 05. Hit the 'O' key 3 more times to go back to relational mode. Select combo 2048, cset 3. This will let you draw waterways in dungeons (it's the same setup as the other two relational drawings we just did; the combos just look different as there aren't any side or corner combos except for a 'top' water combo). Draw some out now.
Map 7, screen 05. Switch to layer 1 (this has already been set up for you) and pick cset 2. Hit the 'O' key 4 times to reset relational mode. Now, you can draw out floor borders around the parts that aren't waterways.
Map 7, screen 06. Switch to layer 0 and select combo 2560, cset 3. Now, draw out a lava river. Once it is done, hit Ctrl-Page Down and select combom 2816 (it will be in the same position as combo 2560 was). Go back over some of the lava combos and replace them with this one to add some variety. There are 5 groups of lava combos set up. Hit Ctrl-Page Down to get to each one and select the first one in whatever group you choose. Notice how if you draw just below a floor tile that the lava tile that is drawn is one of the floor/lava border combos. After you have the lava looking right, you can switch back to layer 1 and draw out some floor borders (like from before) if you wish.

Anyway, here's the quest:
http://darknation.armageddongames.net/sejarah/zc211b5/relational2.qst

idontknow
12-20-2005, 12:45 PM
awesome! thank you! perhaps this should be in a sticky topic or perminent help file somewhere.