PDA

View Full Version : mario rpg quest?

Mariorpgfanatic
12-18-2005, 04:03 PM
Is it possible to build a ZQuest quest like Super Mario RPG? I know how to do special attacks (create magic items for attacks; magic is Flower Points) but I don't know about items (like a mushroom) or party members.

Thanks.

rocksfan13
12-18-2005, 04:14 PM
You could make the mushroom give back life, but as far as adding party members, it's not possible.

Mariorpgfanatic
12-18-2005, 04:20 PM
You could make the mushroom give back life, but as far as adding party members, it's not possible.
Items:How exactly would the mushroom give back life?

Party members: Could you make multiple characters, but only one out at a time? i.e. others are at your house, go there to switch around?

Otto Halmen
12-19-2005, 01:54 PM
A red mushroom could be a faery and would thus slide around as it does in super mario bros. And a green mushroom could be a heart container. Then, when receiving the fire flower, a ring that changes the colour of mario/luigi could be made invisible and put in the same space as the flower, thus changing the character's color like in super mario bros.

Speaking of rings, you could make the two first rings colour the character as Mario, and the two last as Luigi. Then an option of switching the PC could be implemented, although it is possible to do the switch only once.

Wondering where I came up with all this? Well, I'm actually working on a Mario quest myself. The SuperMario Bros. DX for GameBoy color is an excellent source of graphics, even if you've got the real thing instead of an emulator program. There is a built in print studio, where you can print sprites from the game with a specific printer. Before printing, however, it is possible to watch at the graphics, and there they appear zoomed in, so it is possible to do precise copies of them.

Also, you should (if you haven't) play all Mario quests that are on the web right now. Mario's Insane Rampage, X-mas Apocalypse, Mario's Quest, Super Mario in the Castle of Doom and Nintendo Crisis, I think.

Mariorpgfanatic
12-20-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm not playing the Mario Insane Rampage or the Xmas Apocalypse.

I'd get in trouble if someone saw me playing a game with Mario slaughtering his buddies.

About those graphics...

Go here for a really good resource! (http://sprites.fireball20xl.com/NSA/HTML/Mario/)

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Oh, one more thing...

Could I use a MIDI file for background music? (towns, etc.)

EDIT: Ok, I might play them. But I'll have to avoid getting caught... :laughing:

Otto Halmen
12-22-2005, 03:50 AM
Thanks for the sprite DB. I feel like a complete idiot when I was extracting the graphics by hand! :odd:

Avoid getting caught? By who?

The MIDIs are the standard music files for ZC, but MODs and its cousins (S3M, IT, MED...) can also be implemented. MIDIs are easier to fix with, because they get encoded into the quest file.

Another idea for making switchable characters: Stuff the colours of all characters in the same Link's cset. Then, make the different characters the Link poses with the different shields. Everything clear so far; now choosing the character is still possible. But switching is a lot trickier. You could put an invisible Lyke Lyke in the room that you switch a character, and then, when the shield is stolen, an automatic full heal and the choice of a new shield (the actual character) would come.

Ideas for implementing enemies:
Chip Chip -> Tektite
Bloober -> Tektite
Bowser -> Aquamentus (this is the best idea; the sprites are of identical size, and both even move exactly the same way, except jumping.)
Koopa Troopa -> Goriya (like in LOM; use new enemy tiles, create sprites for the boomerang that look like shells, and remove the shell from the sprite where the boomerang is fired.)
Koopa Troopa -> Moblin/Octorok/Lynel (like previous, but they use their shell in a slightly different way.)
Lakitu -> Zora (create unaccessable cloud and change the type to water, and maybe the fireball into a spiny egg.)
Goomba -> Stalfos

I hope you got something new from this list, I am sorry if you knew all this from before.

Mariorpgfanatic
12-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Good switching idea.

Also good enemies.

Thanks.