PDA

View Full Version : They grow back!

Otto Halmen
12-17-2005, 12:51 PM
In the Origins 2nd quest, the plants grow back! That kind of technology would be useful in my Mario scenario (YES, YET ANOTHER MARIO SCENARIO but I try to make it more polite than LOM) where the finish flag would slide more smoothly down.

Can you explain how that is done, please?

King of Dwythia
12-17-2005, 08:53 PM
I believe it is done by combo cycling.

Freelancer
12-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Thats really cool and Dwythia is correct, that is how you could do that. But the shrub when its alive would not have a NEXT: tile with it. Although I would suggest making the gorwing sequence a little bit more realistic. Then simply having it grow back without a sort of growing sequence.

Otto Halmen
12-18-2005, 08:51 AM
Thanks! :)

So that's what that mysterious NEXT box was for. How much time is there between each switch to NEXT?

DeFray
12-18-2005, 02:43 PM
The tile goes through one full animation, based on the animation speed and frames you set for it, before it cycles to NEXT.
Once it changes to NEXT it doesn't ever change back, unless you have the NEXT combo cycle back to the first one.

ShadowTiger
12-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Okay, here's how combo Cycling works, in terms of this slashed bush example.

You can like, .. four combos on your combo page, okay? Create them after you read this, according to what I write here.

The first Combo will be your standard Bush combo. It should have the appearance of a bush, (If you wish.) And its property should be either Bush or Slash or Slash --> Item.

Your undercombo should be the slashed bush, a stump, if you'd like, ... Yeah.

The next combo should be that slashed bush: The stump.

The next combo should be the early parts of an animation of the stump growing into a bush.

the next combo should be the later parts of the animation of the stump growing into a bush.

Have the Next of the stump, the second combo, point to the third combo. Have the Next of the third combo point to the fourth, and Have the Fourth Combo's Next point to the first, the bush.

Remember, the NEXT takes place after the combo finishes animating through the number of frames you assign it, but also know that since screen animations are kinda "random," ... as in, like, .. you never really know on what animation an animated combo will be during its loop. Like, there's no way to align animations, if you can understand that. So, you'd have to move these combos along, manually controlling their animations by moving their single-combo animated loop into a series of combos which will animate exactly how you'd like them to.

Otto Halmen
12-30-2005, 11:10 AM
I was actually going to implement a Super Mario Bros end flag that goes down :rolleyes:, but thanks for trying to help me that much, anyway! :)