PDA

View Full Version : Questions about warping

Wind Fish
12-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Is there any way I can make a warping cave accesible only once?

Can I trigger a change in the location that a certain warp point goes to?

Thanks in advance

Nimono
12-14-2005, 04:42 PM
1: Yes. Make it to where when you exit the acve, you're in another spot and you can't get back to it EVER.
2: Not that I know of!

Wind Fish
12-14-2005, 06:09 PM
well, I was thinking more towards a way to close the cave entrance after you warp out somehow. Is it possible to lose an item that might help you to get to the cave in the first place? Or even better, to trade it for another one? That way, you could go to the same general area as the cave, but be FORCED to take a different path, which was not accesible before. Is anything like that possible?

Wind Fish
12-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Oh, and sorry to double post but after starting a new file on Zelda Classic, tapping my a button (s) twice won't get me into the custom quest selection. Nothing happens at all. Any ideas why? could something be set off or something?

Nimono
12-14-2005, 06:14 PM
No, there isn't.

Wind Fish
12-14-2005, 06:29 PM
hum. Do you know why the quest selection might not work?

Nimono
12-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Quest Selection? You mean in the actual game where you choose a quest to play? If that's what you mean, press the key set to "A" 2 times, then select your quest.

Linkafier
12-14-2005, 06:41 PM
Warping Question:
Well, you can always use the clone map trick. When you make your Triforce warp (the warp after the player gets the triforce piece in the dungeon), set the destination to a screen on a clone map of your overworld. It will work if you can get all of the other warps fixed into the clone map. This is the best method I know of. I highly recommend pika's suggestion, though.

Wind Fish
12-14-2005, 07:53 PM
No, no, Pika. The problem is when I press my 'a' twice in the after starting a game, it does NOT work. (I am supposed to press my 'a' after the window slides open and I see Link in the bottom facing north, right?)

Also, how do I switch everything to the GBA tiles used in 2.10TEST?

Linkafier, thanks for the clone map idea, I never thought of that. I guess I'd have to make it mandatory to have all the items on the original map, and it'd be fine.
I was thinking of doing a game where you could sort of choose your destiny, and the caave I mentioned earlier would have two warps, each to a reality reflecting the decision you chose. 'course, I'd only so it a couple times as it's a lot of work to clone an entire map, right?

erm2003
12-14-2005, 08:00 PM
Wind Fish... Did you name the file FIRST before trying to load the custom quest? That may be your problem.

Nimono
12-14-2005, 08:10 PM
There's your problem, Wind Fish. You press "a" BEFORE you start the game. In other words, PRESS THE BUTTON WHEN YOU HAVE THE GAME YOU WANT TO PLAY HIGHLIGHTED!!!

Wind Fish
12-14-2005, 11:07 PM
aw man, I was such a noob 2hrs ago. heh, "welcome to the internet." Thanks, guys. Lemme know if you figure out how to access the 2.10TEST images.

DeFray
12-15-2005, 02:06 AM
Well, you could just open the quest and take the tiles... right? :(

There's actually a good way I know of to make your first idea work, to make the cave close itself immediately every time you entered that screen after the first time. It takes a little work, though, and is just a little bit advanced. Do you know anything about combo cycling?

Also, cloning a map will work but keep in mind, that idea has a lot of bugs too. Like, if you have heart containers just sitting around on your map, and you pick them up on your first map, they would appear again on the clone map. I'm saying that items would be on both maps, and you would have to find a way to make it so you could only pick up items like that once, and there's not really a way to do that besides to specifically design your maps so that you can only reach the items once, which would be very difficult if not impossible. So unless you change to your clone map early on, before you pick up items lying around like that, you're going to have a problem with items magically reappearing when you play. ;)

One more thing-there's no way to lose or trade items. Ever. No matter what. Even if you change maps. It would be a cool idea, and I think they might be working on it for a future version of ZeldaClassic... but right now it's still completely impossible to lose an item.

Wind Fish
12-15-2005, 06:58 PM
You can just take the tiles? How?
And what is this combo cycling you speak of? Sounds like it would totally destroy half this thread. Please elaborate!

DeFray
12-16-2005, 12:43 AM
To take just a few tiles....
Open the quest with the tiles and go to the tilepage with the tiles you want.
Push F12 to take a screenshot.
Open your quest and go to the spot in the tile pages where you want to put the new tiles.
Push Grab, then push File and open the screenshot you just made (probably named something like Zelda001).
Highlight the tiles you want with the mouse and push OK. The tiles should now be in your tilepage.
Now you can make new tiles out of them.

Now, combo cycling...

Combo cycling is where you can actually have one combo change into a completely different one. So, for instance, you could have a door cycle into an opening or an opening cycle into a closed door. Another common use for combo cycling is to set up regrowing plants by having the stumps of cut plants cycle into grown ones, which can then be cut to start the cycle over and over.
You can probably find a lot more places where people discuss combo cycling both here and at PureZC (try *THIS* (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?p=1014709#post1014709) ).

Combo cycling is set up in the combo editing menu. When you right-click a combo for editing you see Animation Frames and Animation Speed. These are for changing the animation of the tile. Animation only changes the graphics of a tile. To cycle into a different combo click the Next: box and choose the combo you want to cycle to. Now, when your combo is done with its first full animation it will change into the new combo. In order for it to change you must have at least 2 animation frames.

The reason I suggest this is an idea also found in *THIS THREAD* (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=84265). You can set up your room so that when you step on a Trigger combo it changes into a warp combo that immediately cycles to a non-warp normal combo. That way when Link first steps on the combo it will warp him, but as long as it's a permanent trigger, every time Link comes back into the room it will change into a non-warping normal tile before Link can step on it again. Just make sure you set the animation speed to a really low number like 0 so that it changes quickly and everything should be fine.

How much of that made sense?