PDA

View Full Version : Silent Night rewritten for "Winter Program"!!

Monica
12-10-2005, 12:26 AM
For a performance in its "winter program," a Wisconsin elementary school has changed the beloved Christmas carol "Silent Night," calling the song "Cold in the Night" and secularizing the lyrics.

According to Liberty Counsel, a religious-liberty law firm representing a student's parent, kids who attend Ridgeway Elementary School in Dodgeville, Wis., will sing the following lyrics to the tune of "Silent Night":

Cold in the night, no one in sight, winter winds whirl and bite, how I wish I were happy and warm, safe with my family out of the storm.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=47784

Oh how sick, just leave us alone, will you? Stop changing our decorations, trees, and songs, and just leave us alone! ;_;

Orion
12-10-2005, 12:43 AM
This is getting to be so sad... boo political correctness! It seems like people are out to make everyone ashamed of celebrating Christmas. It's not like just because there is a holiday, people are forced to celebrate it. People are way too easily offended these days. I'm still fuming about the holidays being absent from Animal Crossing: Wild World.

Dechipher
12-10-2005, 12:51 AM
That's retarded as hell.

And that's what I think.

Cloral
12-10-2005, 01:46 AM
That is pretty stupid. Why even bother singing the song at all if you have to use bastardized lyrics? The kids could stand on stage and stare at the audience for a couple minutes and it would be just as entertaining.

algam86
12-10-2005, 02:58 AM
That's stupid. People have been singing that song for years, and they want to try and change it NOW? Next it'll be 'On the Twelve Days of...some people going out to the store to buy presents for people...my friends and relatives who may or may not be my true love gives me...some bird in a plant.'

If the song isn't related to your religion (if you have one), just sit there and ignore it. It's just a song.

koopa
12-10-2005, 03:02 AM
I agree. Anyone who wishes me "happy winterval" or such makes me want to hit them. For God's sake, Silent Night is a christmas carol. If you don't believe in christmas then don't sing at all.

Archibaldo
12-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Lol, it's like last week on SNL. They had a skit of the NBC crew sing Silent Night with altered lyrics. Something like "Silent night, regular night, all is calm, all is bright, random infant, religiously neutral, yadda yadda yadda" And then they had a skit of The Donald making a speech about christmas and he couldn't say "christmas" or "mainger" (sp?) and he had to say barn box and he's like "what the hell is a barn box?" It was knee slapping hilarious.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
12-10-2005, 02:45 PM
I really like Silent Night, too ;_;

But yeah, this is just getting retarded. Freedom of speech for the lose, apparently.

ONeilcool
12-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Half the people that celebrate christmas arent even religous.The people that celebrate christmas because they are christain, not because they just wanna give people presents, shouldn't have to change everything just because some political bastards are trying to take it over. If everyone wants to celebrate a religous holiday, then deal with the religous lyrics for Gods sake. Most of the people don't even care, but to those who do, seriously, fuck off.

Kairyu
12-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Y'know, those lyrics really have nothing to do with the original song. They coulda just called it an entirely new song, "sung to the tune of" style.

*b*
12-10-2005, 03:40 PM
The kids could stand on stage and stare at the audience for a couple minutes and it would be just as entertaining.
that might even be more entertaining

it's funny, 'this whole 'seperation of church and state thing'. Christmas has been so commercialized, that it really isn't a religious holiday anymore, unless you're a buisness owner, but as soon as somone has a problem with Christmas, everyone flips and tries to make that person happy. and after that's all over, they go right back to advertising Christmas again

the majority of Americans are christians. I wish everyone else would accept that fact and learn to grin and bear it

religion is fun!

Jigglysaint
12-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Lol, it's like last week on SNL. They had a skit of the NBC crew sing Silent Night with altered lyrics. Something like "Silent night, regular night, all is calm, all is bright, random infant, religiously neutral, yadda yadda yadda" And then they had a skit of The Donald making a speech about christmas and he couldn't say "christmas" or "mainger" (sp?) and he had to say barn box and he's like "what the hell is a barn box?" It was knee slapping hilarious.

OMG Chinoku! I love those Trump Skits(TM). See, it's one thing when they make fun of secularization in Christmas, it's another to be totally serious about it.

Silent Night is one of my favorite carols. I normally never endorse this, but if I were at his school I would msot likely try to beat him up in one way or form. I hate fighting, but kids like that need to get their ass our of the Matrix and start living in the real world. The real world is that many people believe in stuff you don't, and you make do, not force change.

Does anybody here now understand why God used to deliver the smackdown on people in the Bible when they stepped out of line? The worst part is that we have to put up with it today, wheras in the olden times they would have just have taken occupation of some land and then wait for God to smite their woman and children.

Rainman
12-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Not that I'm all that into this deleting Christmas thing going on, but does this really matter? Celebrating your saviour's birthday should be a personal thing. It shouldn't matter what some Wisconsin school is doing. If the parents of the children involved in the performance have a problem with it they can just withdraw their kid from it in protest. Anyone who would be viewing could just not go.

Linkafier
12-10-2005, 06:56 PM
"I am very offended that these children are singing Christmas songs at a Christmas play I decided to come to. I demand my first amendment rights!"

It's just like those people who sing "We wish you a happy holidays" instead of "We wish you a merry Christmas".

Everyone has different beliefs, and they should be able to express those beliefs without a goverment official slamming them about how their action can offend those who don't share their beliefs. I think Silent Night is an excellent song and I see no reason why they decided to alter it. If the parents didn't like it, they should've just pulled out their children from participating.

Saffith
12-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Hmm...
http://www.theconservativevoice.com/articles/article.html?id=10668

Dodgeville school District Administrator Diane Messer responded with: "There's been a tremendous misunderstanding here. Somebody locally, I believe, misunderstood, even after our discussion with them, that one of our teachers took the liberty of changing the lyrics. You can go to children's programs in any season and you will find adaptations of music with new lyrics to tell a story, and you can go to any music store and find music that has been adapted. Those things occur." Messer added that some traditional Christmas songs will be sung, unaltered.

ShadowTiger
12-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Not that I'm all that into this deleting Christmas thing going on, but does this really matter?Frankly, I would love to know why it all matters too. The more it spreads, the more it matters. The more it matters to some people, the more it spreads. It's like the Chicken or the Egg in a way.

If a person is having fun with a song though, why stop them? If it becomes some sort of new law though, THEN we should be at least somewhat worried. The difference between a law and a mass progression toward said ... matter, ... is quite large, obviously. Shouldn't be confused with the other. It's up to you to decide which of the two you get all huffy about.

Kevin
12-10-2005, 09:30 PM
It would be perfectly fine to sing Kwanzaa or Jewish songs to teach kids about other cultures, but Christianity is not a-ok.

Whatever

Jigglysaint
12-10-2005, 10:54 PM
Hmm...
http://www.theconservativevoice.com/articles/article.html?id=10668

Why do people not post the entire story? I can agree with an adaptation, yes. What happened here is that somebody led me to believe a half truth, that the song was altered, and let me use my own misinformation to make a rash decision about beating somebody up.

This, folks, is what America has been reduced to. We have the right to free speech, but do we have the right to the whole truth and nothing but the truth? I think they do that in Canada as well, which might be why I said "we".

Monica
12-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Oh good grief, now that's a little better... Isn't that slander or something? O_O I dunno, it should be illegal to lie like that...

Anyway, on the subject of Christmas-haters, I have to agree with what Jiggly said about the old testiment... (as in God's not physically helping anymore, and leiving us to live in a world that disrespects Him every winter):/

Lilith
12-11-2005, 01:18 AM
This is fucking stupid. They already barely play any of the original, good Christmas music anyway. I don't get this anti-Christmas shit. Most cultures that have a winter season, I would think, celebrate some kind of holiday. We have ours. And the VAST MAJORITY of people in the US including blacks and hispanics also celebrate Christmas. Oh no, the Muslim and Jew kids are going to go home crying because of all the holiday cheer and good spirits!

Why don't we spend our time on money on...I don't know, A CAUSE THAT ACTUALLY HELPS PEOPLE.

goKi
12-11-2005, 01:36 AM
Christmas is a religious holiday for Christ's sake.

MacWeirdo42
12-11-2005, 01:28 PM
I believe Yoda said it best... "Do or do not. There is no try." Seriously, why bother? If you're worried about offending somebody, just sit down and shut up. It'd be better to just not bother in the first place, in my opinion. This whole business about dressing things up to make them less offensive is just a waste of time. What's the point? It's like you apparently have these people who are so hell-bent on spreading Christmas cheer that they'll do anything, including removiing the religious connotations of the holiday, in order to do it. Ironically, I feel these people are killing Christmas much more than the non-Christians who are apparently being offended.

Eh, what does it matter anyway? Christmas is so commercialized that I honestly don't see how it could be construed as a religious holiday these days in the first place. No wait, my mistake, we do bow down and make sacrifices to the gods of consumerism.

Monica
12-11-2005, 01:39 PM
My family still remembers Christ's birth, my grandmother make a Happy Birthday Jesus cake every year when we all go to her house. That's one way to actually celebrate his birth.

Toolie
12-12-2005, 01:37 AM
I'd love to see what the racist conservative fuckers would do if their kids were forced to sing a celebratory song from another religion, fucking biggoted hypocritical douchebags.

Lilith
12-12-2005, 01:55 AM
We sang Hannakuh songs in my old school concerts I think, even though there was like...2 jews in the whole school. Lol.

AlexMax
12-12-2005, 08:42 AM
That is the funniest thing ever, mostly because of the absurdity of it all. Unless the school got letters from angry atheist parents, they probably are just doing this for publicity. In fact, if I was to try and start a backlash against "anti-christmas" people, doing osmething ridiculous like this is a surefire way to get attention.

This also reminded me of this bit from The Daily Show (http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=36003&ml_collection=&ml_context=show&allowMotherload=true&ml_comedian=none&poppedFrom=_shows_the_daily_show_videos_most_recen t_index.jhtml&) (Don't fucking click unless you're on broadband. Also, having an up-to-date WMP might help too)

biggiy05
12-25-2005, 02:14 PM
I don't care if you hate illwillpress or you love it. This is funny and true. You don't like it too bad.

Link (http://www.illwillpress.com/xmas.html)