PDA

View Full Version : The AtmaWeapon FF3 challenge {**spoilers**}

AtmaWeapon
12-06-2005, 04:34 PM
So I started playing another FF3 game the other day. I've been wanting to for a while but just couldn't bring myself to do it for some reason. So, I decided to go for a challenge.

First I considered the Natural Magic Challenge, where the only magic you can use is the magic learned naturally by Terra and Celes as they level. This seemed a little to restrictive to me since you are not allowed to use espers for stat boosts or even equipment that taught spells, so I decided to make my own challenge to try and eliminate the things I thought ruined the game.

See, my normal strategy in FF3 is as follows:
At South Figaro I powerlevel like a faggot. I do that until the enemies are pushovers. Sometimes Sabin knows Fire Dance when he first joins the party; that should show you how serious I mean powerleveling. The next powerlevel stop is at Vector, where I do not stop until every character in my party (typically Edgar, Sabin, Cyan, Locke for the owie factor) knows every available spell. After Magitek Research Facility, I repeat the process.

AtmaWeapon falls to Rasp, floating continent is a pushover due to my advanced levels. Some people beat the game at level 40 or so, I don't hit WoR until 35 minimum. I spend the first half of the WoR wishing I had leveled Celes in WoB. Once I get the Falcon, it is a mad dash to gain Ultima ASAP. Once a character learns Ultima, I pump their Magic Attack until Ultima does 9999. Next, I get Bahamut for the 50% HP boost. Once two 9999 casters exist, it is off to Jurassic Park to kick some Tyrannosaur tail. Once a single character can survive Meteo, that character gets an Exp. Egg and fights alone. The goal is to reach 9999 HP and get a few economizers from the brachosaurs.

Next I get a Gem Box.

My strategy at this point in the game is simple:
if (I am dying)
Cast Cure3
Cast Ultima
else
Cast Ultima
Cast Ultima

I've always wanted to level everyone to 99 but usually lose patience. Usually I get two strong parties and a weak party that uses Moogle Charm to storm Kefka's tower; I do it in two trips so the weak party doesn't have to face the third statue. The final battle is a joke when I'm spitting 40K-50K of damage per 4-character round.

While this is an effective strategy, it is not a fun one. Every enemy falls fast to Ultima, and I'm known to end battles with Vanish/Doom just to spare the long process. I decided I did not want to do this.

What got me interested was I did some reading about Gau and decided he was worth a shot. He was usually my weakest character as I never put the effort in to getting his Rages. So, I decided to play a game that revolved around him and removed some of my cheap tricks.

Atma's Current Challenge

Terra, Celes, Relm, and Strago are the only characters that can use magic. Other characters can equip espers for stat boosts but are forbidden from using magic.
Ultima is forbidden.
Vanish/Instant Death is forbidden.
Rasp is forbidden against AtmaWeapon.
Powerleveling is frowned upon; If a difficult situation arises leveling may be required but fighting for the sake of gaining levels should be avoided. On a related note, when magic tutoring is being done fights must happen on the veldt to avoid gaining XP (Cactrot desert is OK in WoR if only Cactrots are killed). This has an added bonus of avoiding unwanted level gains when inappropriate espers for a character are equipped.
Gau is to be in the party at all times when he is available.
The Edgar/Sabin/Cyan combo is forbidden; at least one of the three must be replaced by another character.

Basically, I am denying myself some of my most frequent abuses that make the game incredibly easy. I thought this would be quite challenging for me.

Results
This 'challenge' actually makes me cry because it has taught me that Cyan, my favorite physical fighter, is probably one of the most useless characters until late in the game and Gau, the character I placed above only Umaro and Relm, is probably one of the most powerful characters in the game. Several of Gau's rages inflict ailments or damage that is unprecedented at the point in the game in which they occur. Dadaluma is usually a long fight for me; he didn't hit me once and died in 3 turns since Gau Stopped him and Celes Imped him. Magitek Research Facility is usually a challenge since it is the start of high physical defense in enemies; Gau one-hit swept the field with Aqua Rake. Number 128 usually takes me 5 minutes of near-fatal status; he lasted 2 1/2 rounds. The Cranes went down in 2 hits. Cave to Sealed Gate usually takes me about 45 minutes due to strong enemies; this time I took Mog and Gau with me and tore through the cave in 10 minutes.

Basically I have learned that I have not been exploiting some very good characters to their full potential. There is almost no need for Magic support from Terra or Celes other than healing because for every enemy Gau has a killer attack. When Gau and Mog team up very little can stand against their magic assault. I will not miss Ultima. I'm a little worried about how the WoR will run; I haven't made it to the Floating Continent yet. However, at the rate Gau is advancing, I think I'll end up altering my next challenge:
Gau's rages cannot be collected but his use in the main party is forbidden; he can only be used in the multi-party scenarios.
Complete the game in under 30 hours.The last one there I may meet this time; I am about 10 hours faster than usual and moving way faster than usual this run; I'm usually in position to threaten Kefka at 45 or 50 hours with at least 12 of those hours powerleveling. I think I'm at ~12 hours and I'm heading to Thamasa after I finish the banquet. I have spent about 4-6 hours on the veldt gaining rages.

Does anyone else care to add some bullets to my challenge? Anyone care to challenge my stance that Gau is possibly the most powerful character in the game? Let's discuss my favorite game.

VI3T_DR@GON
12-06-2005, 05:03 PM
-Try now, not to level up anymore. As you go higher in the game, you start to slowly gain levels.

-You can only use Celes, Setzer, and Terra. ONLY those 3! (Or Cyan for Terra if you dont have her yet.)

-As soon as you get the Falcon, fly to the Phoenix Cave, and defeat everything in there.

-No more Gem Boxes, Ecnomizers, Sprint Shoes, or Moogle Charm.

-Once you reach Lv40 with Cyan, go get his sword Aura at Doma Castle.
(You can only bring Celes, Sabin, and Locke)

-After that, you MUST get Relm and Strago, you must go through Fanatics Tower with Relm and Strago in your party after you get them.

-Once all of those are complete, go through Kefka's Tower. No Moogle Charm, and you cant Lv up past 60.

Once that happens, your on your way to beating it in 17 hours! Well of course, its so hard that you can barely get TO Kefka himself. Most people die at the Pheonix Cave, but since you seem you know what you are doing, you should do it quickly, and quietly. Good Luck! :evil:

mrz84
12-06-2005, 05:31 PM
I must admit that Gau is one of my fav characters to use in FF3/6. Shadow is a good character to use if you don't mind putting thousands of GP to fund his throw skill with Shurikens and the like.

KJAZZ
12-06-2005, 05:57 PM
I remember all the times I've played this game, I really strayed away from Gau. Then I learnt of his incredible cheapness. ;P

Well, good luck on your challenge, I personally probably won't be playing FFVI for a while, but I do intend to buy and play it when it's rereleased on GBA. :spin:

VI3T_DR@GON
12-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Its coming out on GBA?? Holy Smurf! Thats smurfing great! Anyways...Atma, how far are you in the game? Floating C.? Or later?

AtmaWeapon
12-06-2005, 09:07 PM
I do agree with the following as potential additions to the challenge, with a few exceptions:

-Try now, not to level up anymore. As you go higher in the game, you start to slowly gain levels.

-As soon as you get the Falcon, fly to the Phoenix Cave, and defeat everything in there.

-No more Gem Boxes, Ecnomizers, Sprint Shoes, or Moogle Charm.

-Once all of those are complete, go through Kefka's Tower. No Moogle Charm, and you cant Lv up past 60.

Currently I'm gaining what I consider "natural levels". I do not take breaks to powerlevel, though I left provisions for it in the challenge because I didn't realize how easy it was to not do it.

Moogle Charm is cheap and will be avoided, though I will point out that in a low-level high-speed game it is vital as you won't have to run from random battles.

Gem Box I'm not sure if I'm excluding; Economizers I know I am excluding. The Gem Box may prove useful but as of now I only plan on getting it as a trophy from the tower.

Why no sprint shoes? It would seem to me that ditching them would make it harder to beat the game in a short time period, since your movements would be slowed. As it is, they provide you no advantage other than speed outside of battle and in my opinion do more harm than good since you waste a relic slot on them.

Level 60 is pretty high actually; I've attacked the tower no sweat at an average level of 63, and 3 levels don't really make that much difference. My goal is to try and get there between 40 and 50, though natural leveling may interfere.

All the others (character restrictions) are things I consider not fun, which is why I rejected the Natural Magic challenge. However, the characters specified are the absolute minimum required to beat the game, so the guidelines would be helpful for a speed run.

Supposedly it is possible to do in about 10 1/2 hours, but it requires abusing Setzer's Joker Doom to do so which I consider underhanded like Vanish/Doom.

Saffith
12-06-2005, 09:34 PM
I say you do this. Pick a character—preferably an early one, like Locke. Maybe a second one later, if he needs help. Keep him in your party whenever possible. But make him your enemy. Have him attack the rest of the party instead of the enemies. And if he's ever the last one standing, make him kill himself. Level him up and keep him alive like any other. Don't keep him too heavily armed, but enough to make it count.

I don't know. Just a random thought. Might just be annoying more than anything else.

vegeta1215
12-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Its coming out on GBA?? Holy Smurf! Thats smurfing great!

Yep. FFIV is due this month, and FFV and FFVI are planned for the future. I've been debating whether to pick any of these up, or wait for the Revolution and keep my fingers crossed that they will be available on the virtual console.

As for Atma's challenge, wow. That's all I can say. I got to the very end of FFVI on my SNES cart, but never went into Kefka's Tower. I just kind of lost interest once I started building my characters preparing to go there and trying to get everyone to learn every spell. You certainly have more patience than me.

VI3T_DR@GON
12-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Well, vegeta1215, its really quite fun going through Kefka's Tower. Atma, I HAD to not use the Moogle Charm when I went through it the first time. I had Setzer, Mog, and Gau in one party, the weaklings, and they were all under level 30! I dont know how I did it, but I forget the Boss that the 3rd party has to beat, I think that its Godess...But it was SOOOO long to do. Hahaha...Where are you Atma? You never said where you were.

AtmaWeapon
12-08-2005, 01:43 AM
Right now I'm before the manners banquet and will be heading toward Thamasa with a Celes/Locke/Shadow party forced upon me. I'd be past the Floating Continent today but started playing a MUD with a friend.

Brasel
12-08-2005, 09:56 AM
I almost always use Celes and Locke in my party, and before the last time I played it with Strago and Shadow in my party, I almost never used magic. I just used Locke, Edgar, Sabin, and Celes as physical attackers more than anything. Last time I played through the game though, which was a couple months ago, I used Shadow and Strago in my main party for the first time. Strago can kick some hard core ass with magic, and Shadow's throw is way better than I thought it would be. The game can be quite fun when you play through it again using characters that you don't normally use. I had no idea until I tried, because I always used the same 4 character format, give or take a Celes or Locke for Terra.

VI3T_DR@GON
12-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Ok, what is the equipment of your party?