PDA

View Full Version : Layering

Nimono
12-05-2005, 05:59 PM
I have a question about layers. Is it possible to make a layer above layer 2 that you can walk on (for example, a bridge that you can walk under and walk on top of)?

Pineconn
12-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Unfortunately, no. The only walk-on... walk-onable? ...layers are 0, 1, and 2. However, the bridge you CAN do, but you need to do either a sidewarp to that screen or secret combos. :shrug:

Nimono
12-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Hmmmm.... Okay, thanks anyway...

I figured as much... Oh well. Maybe they'll add it later. It's actually not a bad idea.

rocksfan13
12-05-2005, 07:44 PM
There is a way. You have to use trigger combos. Place the bridge as an overhead combo when you go under it. When you're above it place the triggers where link will walk on them and have the bridge combos change so that you can walk over it.

There is another thread about this explained better by freedom. It's within this posting area somewhere, but that is the jist of it.

Nimono
12-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Woah... That was a bit confusing to me...

Freedom
12-05-2005, 09:14 PM
here's how to do over under bridges, in the thread is also a tileset I released demonstrating it in action
click here (http://www.zeldaclassicforum.com/showthread.php?t=85)

Nimono
12-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Thanks freedom, but again, that confuses me. Oh well. I'll understand it one day...

Nimono
12-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Oh, I have another question.

How do you stop Link from moving down when he enters a new screen?

Nimono
12-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Okay, this is annoying. I tried making my bridge, but when I tested it out, I couldn't go under the solid part! See, I'm trying to make it to where you can go under a bridge at its sides (left and right, not top and bottom), but I get no door tops when placing a door. Any help?

rocksfan13
12-05-2005, 10:30 PM
If your screen is on a dmap dungeon type, change it to cave. If that's what you mean.

As far as the bridge. You might not be placing the triggers it the right spot or you are using the wrong kind of triggers. Also make sure you are using overhead combos for your doortops and they are completely walkable.

And thanks for the input freedom!

Nimono
12-05-2005, 10:35 PM
I was using an Overworld DMap. I don't even know what an overhead combo is. I'm new to this game!

rocksfan13
12-05-2005, 10:42 PM
To get an overhead combo. Right click on the combo you want to set to overhead, meaning you want to walk under it, then in the list scroll down until you see overhead and hilite it. Press ok and then that combo will be an overhead everywhere you use it.

And I don't see how link is walking down if you were using an overworld dmap.

Nimono
12-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Oh, the part about switching to cave was about the fact that I mentioned that Link went down for me? Oh, sorry! I thought you were talking about something else! Oh well.

rocksfan13
12-05-2005, 11:14 PM
No. The fact is, if you are using a dungeon type dmap, every screen that you transverse into will push link 2 tiles onto the screen from either direction. Where as a cave won't. A cave treats the dmap as if it is an overworld type but is only 8x8 rooms wide. instead of 16x16 for an overworld.