PDA

View Full Version : Labrynth of Dinus

Brasel
12-04-2005, 08:23 AM
http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=63626

I'm sure not many of you remember this. Most of you haven't been around long enough to. Well, if you'll look at the date that the linked thread was posted, you'd see that it was a little over 3 years ago. I have been working on this quest for 3 years. Now, its been off and on, so don't expect this huge, innovative, new-tile-setted thing. Its actually relatively short. I just have a short attention span and I actually kept coming back to work on it time after time.
That said, the quest STILL isn't finished. But I'm at a point where I think I'll be able to finally put a release date on it. I'm not going to, just in case, but lets just say that it will be finished VERY soon.

Now, I know this big, long winded speech will seem like I'm trying to put hype on a quest that really doesn't deserve it, but its not. I'm just really proud of this particular quest. I've put a lot of effort into this one, and while its short, has no overworld, no super original tileset, I think its the best one I've ever attempted and finished. I've only finished two others, by the way. Most of you probably wouldn't even concider playing them, as they're 1.90 quests. Old. School.

Anyway, this quest is, as the original thread states, kind of a hybrid between Zelda and either Symphony of the Night or Super Metroid. There are three screens of overworld and one almost full map plus 3 partial maps of dungeon. Freedom released his (really good) Castle Haunt quest after I had started on this, so I wasn't getting any ideas from anyone that I know of. His is the only other quest to have most of the dungeons in one...dungeon...

The tileset I started with was Sludge's AWSOME cooldungeon tileset. You'll have to see it, it looks like the newfirst tileset, but it isn't quite. I added a couple of tiles that I either made or edited. An example being the indoor waterfalls and the sandfalls. I also ripped off the monsters from the newest newfirst tileset. I modified a lot of them a bit and replaced some, so they aren't completely unoriginal. There are also some cool little effects I squeezed in here and there, purely for asthetic purposes. You'll know when you see them.

The quest isn't too difficult, I thought. It has its tough spots, but some areas, like the Evil Garden, are a bit too easy. And, as I said, the quest is pretty short. Seeing as there are no overworlds to explore, the play time is cut.

Now I'm no expert with Zquest. I'm actually quite bad at using it. It took me forever to figure out a continue bug I was having with the boss rooms. So that means I don't have all those neat bells and whistles when it comes to puzzles and speech and what-not that I've seen with some of these "new fangled" quests. Don't expect much. I'm making a big stink out of this because it took so long for me to finish it, and now that I'm nearing completion I'm kind of excited.

Screen shots?

http://www.geocities.com/narshecaves/dinus.html

I would have hosted these at a much more reliable place, but I'm not able to use my computer on the internet right now. I don't have an FTP program in an internet cafe.

VI3T_DR@GON
12-04-2005, 06:54 PM
I really would like to try this quest Anthony, could you PM me when its finished? I think this could easily get 3 1/2 or 4 stars!

ShadowTiger
12-04-2005, 07:12 PM
I agree very much. :o It looks like actual attention to detail has been placed here. I don't see many square rooms, and there are actually entitied within the rooms. ... ... Nowadays, (unfortunately.) that's all too rare.

Feel free to borrow from the stock of tiles we have at Pure. :)

Brasel
12-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Feel free to borrow from the stock of tiles we have at Pure. :)
You know, I think I'll actually do just that.

Blackbun
12-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Ok, I'm in the haunted gallery and can't seem to get anywhere. I got the ring, but seems like I need a candle or something... please help.