PDA

View Full Version : A few questions...

phoneau
11-29-2005, 05:28 PM
I've been playing Zelda games for a long time and am a big fan. I'm brand new to Zelda Classic and the editor (2.10). When I found this, I was eager to go ahead and make my own quest. However, it's harder than it looks :) . I've got a few problems, and any help that people would give me would be nice. Sorry that they're kind of basic, but tutorials I've found either I can't understand the terminology or the sites don't work. A reference to a good working tutorial would work too. Anyway, on to the questions...

1) I am able to make a map that looks good and you can walk around in it. However, when I make a cave, you can descend into it and walk around, but when you leave you come out on a bush on the screen I started at, not the cave exit! The screen is 77 and the cave is at 80, btw.

2) When I test my quest, I start in the top left corner. How can I get it to start at screen 77 in a set place?

3)Maybe my biggest problem...I can't put people in the caves. I know how to type a string but I can't place a guy (Abei) or make him say anything and give out an item. Any other sword-cave related things I am missing would help.

Keep in mind, as I am new I don't know the shortcuts or what some other things mean (i.e., layers). Any help would be immensly appreciated. The plan I have is cool, if i do say so myself :) . Anyway, thanx for reading this!

-phoneau

DeFray
11-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Wow. That was a remarkably well thought-out and organized first post. Nice.

Okay, first. This link ( HERE (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=88488)) should take you to a recent post where you can find a way to get AlphaDawg's tutorial. His homepage is down now, but his tutorial is still the best one made for beginners. It helped me out a lot when I started ZQuest. Keep in mind that his tutorial was made for an older version so some of the things he talks about may have different names now, but it will help a lot.

As for your questions...

1. When on the main ZQuest screen push PageUp or PageDown until you get to a screen with five squares on it. There should be a green one, a blue one, one with a rupee, one with stairs, and one with a flag. Click the blue and green squares and place them onscreen where you want Link to appear when he comes back from the warp.

2. Again, the blue and green squares will decide where on screen Link appears. For which screen you want to start on, that is decided in the DMap. Go to Quest, DMaps and click the one you're using (probably the first one) and put the screen number in the Continue Here or Continue Screen box.
DMaps are really important, you'll learn more about them as you continue.

Okay, that should cover it. Good luck! If you have any more questions, feel free to post them, and welcome to the forums! :D

phoneau
11-29-2005, 07:46 PM
Hey DeFray! Thanks for the help and link to the tutorial! (That was the one I mentioned didn't work! Haha) I've already fixed some of the things and am working on the rest, but just wanted to pop into the forum and say thanks. I just sat there and made Link go in and out of the cave flawlessly. That was fun to watch, lol.

Anyway, thanks again, and other questions I have will end up coming here.

-phoneau

phoneau
11-30-2005, 06:07 PM
Haha, it's only been one day and already I have my next question :) . Because of the previous help, I was able to start off a really cool overworld map and put in people, text, working caves, items, enemies, etc. Then I decided it was time for the first dungeon to go in the game. I am able to get Link to go into the dungeon (entrance at 15 in map 0) and walk out from the door and around the first and only square there is so far (located at 70 in map 1). But when I make Link leave the dungeon, he winds up at square 70 of the overworld! I have placed both green and blue warp tiles (or whatever they're called, I'm not sure) that I use for caves and such in front of the dungeon entrance. I'm not sure what to do at this point!

And another question I'll have to ask eventually so I might as well do it now... how can I name the dungeon and have the name come up on screen upon entry?

Any help would be appreciated.

-phoneau

DeFray
11-30-2005, 06:30 PM
Did you set your Side Warp heading out of the dungeon to the right screen?

For name and title, you'll have to set up the dungeon's DMap. Go into the DMap menu and set up a DMap (probably the second one) to be on Map 1. In the DMap menu, the name you give it will be to help you identify it while working in ZQuest, the title will be what appears onscreen, and the Initial Message or whatever will be what displays the first time you walk in.

phoneau
11-30-2005, 07:01 PM
Yep, you were right on target. I had actually messed something up in the Side Warp and fixed it and now it works great. And props for killing two birds with one stone: once I found where to put in the messages, I was able to set it up just the way I wanted! Thanks again, DeFray!

Hopefully I won't have another question for awhile as I seem to be getting better at this. Although there might be another one tomorrow, haha.

-phoneau

Platinum Link
12-01-2005, 12:53 AM
hey, here's an interesting question, I'm new to Zquest myself, and am still trying to figure out how to make an intro. And thankfully, it's starting to look good ^_^ However, my only problem is when it comes to houses and caves. How do you get it so when he descends into the house/cave, he appears in THAT EXACT place on the map, instead of appearing in some random blank spot like he's been doing?

Actually, While I'm at it, I must say I'm loving this LTTP tileset I downloaded, but for some reason everything below the dungeons, as well as some of the other places, aren't appearing in their true colors as they were in the game. Nor when I go the 0-9 + shift 1-4 thing, do those, or the places in the Dark World turn their true colors. Any way I can fix this?

King Aquamentus
12-01-2005, 01:14 AM
1: set your entrance/exit flag. it's the blue warp thing I mentioned in the last thread. set it both on the screen you are going to and the screen you are coming from.

2:You can't access ALL the level pallettes using that shift-# technique. Instead, go under quest>graphics>pallettes>levels, look for the desired pallette, (overworld, dark world, dungeon etc.) Memorize it's number (3A 2B, whatever). then hit F4 and enter that number. This method will bring up ANY Level Pallette.

Platinum Link
12-01-2005, 03:05 AM
ah, ok, I will try both of them, thank you very much :)

rocksfan13
12-01-2005, 08:52 AM
The entrance/exit flag is the GREEN one. Make sure it is on the edge of the screen so link doesn't walk in, then walk out again. You only need the GREEN one on the one you are going to.

King Aquamentus
12-01-2005, 03:13 PM
No, that is incorrect. it is the blue one.

DeFray
12-01-2005, 05:00 PM
I just put the green AND blue square on EVERY screen in a good spot. That way I've got all the bases covered, and if I have Link go to the wrong screen on accident I'm still covered because I know Link will appear in an okay place.

rocksfan13
12-02-2005, 08:29 AM
:uhoh: The BLUE one is for insta-warps. The GREEN one is for entrance/exits, continue locations, and whistle warp drop points.

Any kind of insta-warp that you use on any given screen will place link where the blue box is placed every time. Including times warps.

Any entrance/exit, continue locations, whistle warp location, or start location will place link on the green box, with the exception of the entrance/exit, link will either walk in or walk up and then down depending on where you place it. If you use an entrance/exit to the overworld it warps to the BLUE box.

Try it! :thumbsup:

King Aquamentus
12-02-2005, 11:22 AM
you forgot warps to other areas on the same Dmap. That's definetely blue.

rocksfan13
12-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Unless it's an entrance/exit on a dungeon or cave type dmap. Then it's the GREEN one. Otherwise, you are correct.

phoneau
12-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Isn't it great that I have more questions to put here? And BTW, glad other people got some use out of this too...on to the question...

So after a lot of messing with the NES sprites, and making dungeons, and music, and this and that, I decided it was time to make my first real game and use a cool tileset. I found an awesome one that I'm gonna use, there's just one problem with it. I don't like the sprites used for Link. What I do want to use is another set of Link sprites. Anyway, my main question is how can I change just the Link sprites in my set, and nothing else?

Thanks for any help, and all past help as well...

-phoneau

rocksfan13
12-12-2005, 04:32 PM
The link sprites are the very first 2 lines of tiles. All you have to do is replace those tiles and there you go. With the exception of slash. That, I believe, is farther down the pages, like page 64 I think.

phoneau
12-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the help on that, I went to try something with my pretty new tileset and (joy) a new problem unfolds!

Now my problem is this. The tileset that I'm using is the Pure Extreme one. And when I go to anywhere, they all look like grass. Not snow, or lava; grass. The only 3 that work are the forest, grass (duh) and sand. What did I do wrong?

And yet another question: I'm making my own quest with the tileset, and I don't want to have to copy the quest to start my own. I'm not sure how to word the question...but the end result I'm looking for is a blank map with the Pure Extreme tileset and my Link sprites that I loaded, so that I can make my own quest from scratch. Sorry to keep asking questions, but I could really use help on this.

Anyway, thanks to those who keep reading these and helping...

-phoneau

rocksfan13
12-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Export the tilesets, combo sets, palletes, and graphics pack from the tileset. Then open a fresh quest and import them. Also try changing the pallete color by pressing f4.

phoneau
12-14-2005, 03:37 PM
I feel bad that I have to keep coming back here to ask questions, as this is my fifth set of them. But I hope nobody is tired of them yet... :) .

This time, I've been wondering how to set up a town. I'd like it to go from the overworld to the town, and have the town name appear on-screen, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that without using a cave or warp, just walk north and then you are in the town. Any tips?

Thanks. I bet everyone wants me to shut up by now so I will, haha.

-phoneau

rocksfan13
12-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Use a side scrolling warp onto the village screen. Set the dmap for the village and the header for the town (the name). Then remember to set the side warp back out again.

If you are looking to have it display right in front of you, like someone is telling you, put it in the dmap intro box.

DeFray
12-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Rocksfan13 had a good idea. And there's really no way to do this without changing DMaps. That doesn't mean you have to make it look like a big change; the scrolling warp he suggested doesn't look any different from a normal screen change.