PDA

View Full Version : ZC, Linux, and Playstation 2, oh my!

zyrixnet
11-29-2005, 04:12 AM
Hello.

Wondering the web tonight, I found a very interesting site by Sony Computer Entertainment. It deals with a Sony fully supported Linux distribution of Linux for their Sony Playstation 2. I thought I'd bring this up here, in hopes that the Linux port may go a bit faster. I use Linux as my primary Operating System of choice(I don't even have a Windows Partition). I really enjoyed using Zelda Classic when I did have Windows installed. I miss those days now, playing quests created by very creative quest developers. Anyways, I couldn't help but also notice that Zelda Classic uses the Allergo cross-platform libraries. Looking through my Debian packages, I came across these libraries. Thought to myself, hmmm, shouldn't Zelda Classic be getting ported a bit faster then this? I also came across this other Game Devleopment tool, original created in DOS using Allergo libraries, now it's development is solely done on Linux, being ported, quite fast might I add, to other platforms such as DOS, and Windows. Each port released at almost the same time.

Now about the Playstation 2 part, here is a link below to their project...
http://playstation2-linux.com/
I am sure you should still be able to find copies at local second hand game retails, or if it was indeed very popular, maybe not. Linux for PS2 contained almost all the developer manuals that Sony ships with their T10K developer model, only for licensed game developers. It's only missing one manual.

Plus, the Nintendo DS also has a thrid party release, which I didn't a chance to try out yet. Other handheld that are Linux-based are ones such as the iPaq from Compaq computers. Yes, the iPaq does ship with WindowsCE(PocketPC), but with a special Linux trick, a bootloader, you can boot a MIPS-based Linux distribution on the iPaq, having more then a million colors at hand.

Linux is everywhere, that's if you really look for it. Almost any device with a MMU, Linux can be installed to. Also, since MacOS X does use a BSD-based Operating System called Darwin, couldn't you simply cross-compile the Linux port to MacOS X in such a way?

These are just simple suggestions in hopes that this thread does get some very interesting replies.

--- Kevin.

MottZilla
11-29-2005, 05:32 AM
While that's cool, you should realize Playstation 2 is not a very fast machine unless it's specifically tapped to get every bit out of it. I'm not sure if it would run that well, but maybe it would. But another thing to consider is how would users really load ZC? You mentioned I assume a Linux CD for PS2? Would users need to have a HardDrive installed? Would you need a modchip? etc. etc. Consoles due to their protections against under licensed code running without some kind of circumvention aren't ideal platforms.

Though it would be cool to see ZC on a console. Another thing to consider is that the PS2 has only 32mb of RAM. *shrugs* Also another problem, I don't believe any of the ZC devs have a PS2 that is setup for such.

zyrixnet
11-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Hello.

No, the Playstation 2 doesn't need any modding at all. Linux for Playstation 2 is fully supported by Sony Computer Entertainment. It was being sold at retail level in stores. It also came with everything you would need to set it up, such the proper Playstation 2 IDE Hard disc, ethernet connection, and various cables and manuals.

If you checked out the link I posted in my first post, you would read that Sony fully supports it, because it was meant as a development system for non-licenced game developers.

--- Kevin.