PDA

View Full Version : Some "sculpture", i guess?

Eckels
11-27-2005, 12:42 AM
At work I get bored easily.

It's a little bit of OCD, a little bit of ADHD, I think. During the busy spots at work, i'm the quickest guy there. But when it slows down (never for more than a half hour or so, except on days after holidays, like the past two days) , I have to keep myself occupied or else i'll go nuts.

The other day I made a couple of backplates for computers out of plexiglass.
I tracked down the controls for the security cameras, and changed the on-screen text for the camera facing the lumberyard, from CAM4 to COMEDY,
I carved numerous pencils into different shapes and different designs (i didnt save any of them cept for one).
I've built potato guns at work.
I've built several counter displays for new products.

Anyways, here's some of the other stupid things i've made due to boredom (the sticks were just started at work, finished at home)

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=8777444&uid=3636122&members=1

LinkSlash
11-27-2005, 12:51 AM
Heh, boredom at it's finest. You should carve a pencil into a double helix next time and get a pic of that one.

Archibaldo
11-27-2005, 01:05 AM
I remember at work (I work at a restaurant) it was so slow, I just sat at the bar and decided to make a 6 foot long straw by connecting a bunch of little straws together. Then the bar tender bet me that I couldn't drink out of it. Heh, I proved him wrong.

Dechipher
11-27-2005, 01:12 AM
One time at work I was bored so I got wasted. First time ever, too. Then my boss wanted me to get on the ladder to change the sign and I had to explain why I couldn't.

I like the double helix idea.

LinkSlash
11-27-2005, 01:18 AM
Probably should have said this when I replied the first time... lol but when I worked at an ice cream shop over the summer I was twisting the straws when the girl I was working with was busy talking and the customer reached in and flicked it to make the snapping noise. Besides that though, if you get bored there you kinda just start eating and making things up, or draw. We had a zoo of animal pictures with messed up names on our one wall made by myself and one of my managers.

Machiavelli
11-27-2005, 03:33 AM
I like the wireguy.

When I'm bored at work, I surf the web. Or act like I'm doing something of purpose.

Darth Marsden
11-27-2005, 05:55 AM
I tend to doodle when I'm bored at work (note that this hasn't happened for a good three weeks). Either that or read a magazine. When you work near the magazine section of a superstore, you're really spoilt for choice. I just had to make sure my dad didn't catch me. Other Managers were cool with it as long as I served customers when they came, but not my Dad. Oh no.

Glitch
11-27-2005, 01:52 PM
When I worked in the barb wire factory I used to make all kids of shit. I made myself and all of my friends these cool bowl picks, I made a wire guy similar to that, many of chinese throwing stars, and other various things that could inflict pain.

Boredom rocks. I love that spiral pencil carving, it's fucking schweet.

ShadowTiger
11-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Very impressive creations Eckels. :) You have a gift. :p Exceptional.

Yeah, Boredom can do interesting things to you. When I was in eighth grade, some kid and I started making a chain of staples and paperclips. We would work on it under our desks when bored, and we devoted whole months to it. When we were done by the end of the year before we graduated, we took a special "field trip" out to the boardwalk behind our school to expand it completely. After about fifteen minutes of untangling the darn thing, it stretched for about half a mile.

We sold it to some guy for like, ten bucks. To this very day, I stil think we went too low. XD

Machiavelli
11-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Yeah, Boredom can do interesting things to you. When I was in eighth grade, some kid and I started making a chain of staples and paperclips. We would work on it under our desks when bored, and we devoted whole months to it. When we were done by the end of the year before we graduated, we took a special "field trip" out to the boardwalk behind our school to expand it completely. After about fifteen minutes of untangling the darn thing, it stretched for about half a mile.

I used to connect staples when I was bored at home. It never got past a few feet though. I use to get tired of it and move on to something else.

LinkSlash
11-27-2005, 09:28 PM
My sister once did something like that with rubber bands. My step father used to bring home a giant bag of them when my mother needed them. They were thicker ones so it was easier to make a chain with. She eventually chained the whole bag of them together and I needed one and had to search for the end of her chain.