PDA

View Full Version : Xenosaga related to Xenogears?

Monica
11-26-2005, 06:55 PM
I played Tales of Phantasia and when Tales of Symphonia came out, I could tell that it was directly related because of the identical battle system and items, and also the innocent girl visited the unicorn and the Full Elves in the forest banishing Half-Elves. Even though the story was completely different, you could tell it was related.

I've played Star Ocean and I could tell that Star Ocean 3 was related because of the dialog boxes and the fact that Roarkians were there, and the whole thing about not bothering undeveloped planets.

Now I'm playing Xenogears. I got it and Xenosaga 1 last Christmas because I heard that they were related. I'm loving Xenogears, and I wanted to play it before Saga just like SO and ToP. I'm wondering how related they are though. Are they as related as the others? I just read a review of Xenosaga and they said not enough people liked XG so Xenosaga is different, is that true?

Master Ghaleon
11-26-2005, 07:39 PM
I have Xenosaga and its a very cool game. I THINK I remember someone telling me it was related but I never played Xenogears.

Gerudo
11-26-2005, 09:37 PM
my friend has Xenosaga and his one complaint was it plays more like a movie than a game... he played for four hours, and only actually played for maybe 45 minutes...

anyways, i found an interesting post on GameFaqs

Xenogears was originally made as its own anime-style, two disc PlayStation game. I'm pretty sure that Square[soft] (back then) didn't intend for it to be the fifth, but the first installment, in a longer series. Does anyone else see how this is kind of like Star Wars? Anyway, yes, Square dumped the team, but Namco picked them right up and basically everyone who worked on Xenogears created Xenosaga! There are many like themes in the games, like the Zohar, because Xenosaga was meant to be a prequel to the game. The first Xenosaga episode was even set thousands of years before Xenogears.

Monica
11-26-2005, 11:21 PM
Oh thanks for that, Gerudo! That's exactly what I wanted to know! I wonder why Square dropped them?? Xenogears is a masterpeice, I like it so much better than FF! I'm almost to the end of the first disc, but even so I don't want it to end, lol.

I play RPGs for the story, to me, the more story, the better, so the movie won't bother me. :)

DarkFlameWolf
11-27-2005, 12:03 AM
Well, to my knowledge, Xenogears was part 4 in a supposed 6 part game saga. So they went back and made Xenosaga,episode 1. Where it would take you right up to and through part 4 and move onto parts 5 and 6. So a grand total of 6 games to complete the story. But it seems that they are dropping the series after part 3. So...Xenosaga will take you right up to the start of Xenogears. Where Gears will end the story for you where you face ....... as the last boss. Let's just say some religious people may get pissed. lol

Archibaldo
11-27-2005, 01:15 AM
A friend of mine was completely obsessed with one of those games. He went looking every where to buy it, eBay, grarage sales, flea markets, etc. Apparently it's a pretty fun game.

... as the last boss. Let's just say some religious people may get pissed. lol

Dude do you get to fight Jesus? If you don't you should. A game where Jesus is the last boss would be awesome.

Orion
11-27-2005, 02:24 AM
I think when they made Xenosaga, they were intending for that series to be 6 parts, where Xenogears would fall in the 4th or 5th place, I'm not sure. Now, since the saga games haven't been selling well, I'm pretty sure they are stopping the saga series at 3, making it a trilogy that leads up to xenogears.

DarkFlameWolf
11-27-2005, 11:13 AM
Nope, its God. Not Jesus

AlexMax
11-28-2005, 02:49 AM
Paging Breaker to a Xenosaga thread.

Gerudo
11-28-2005, 04:06 AM
wtf alex, you cant contribute a damn thing to this thread?

what about breaker? is he some supposed Xeno- encyclopedia or something? afaik, he's just played the game and thats it. (no offense brekker, <3)

i basically answered the question here, be it correctly or incorrectly (although from all the various sources i got, lets lean toward correct, shall we?)

you'd warn someone about posting some garbage like that, so why not try to lead by example and NOT do it? hmm?

i guess since i have to be on-topic to not warrant a warning or some crap:

once my friend gets done playing, i might play it myself, the story was rather interesting. i dont normally watch people play games, but i did for an extended period of time.

DarkDragoonX
11-28-2005, 05:33 AM
I'm pretty sure that Xenogears is part 5, not part 4.

bigjoe
11-28-2005, 08:22 AM
I love Xenogears. It is, after all, sorta where I got my internet alias. I happen to be on my fourth play through.

Xenosaga was kind of dissapointing. There were many things that disturbed me about it. Although, it does contain a number of things that make it SEEM related to Xenogears.

Monica
11-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Yes Big Joe, you are the very first person to mention Xenogears to me. :) I wanted to try PSX RPGs I missed, and I remembered you mentioning that (and saga was already out), deffinately not a dissappointment! I reccomend XG to any hardcore RPGer, with or without Saga, Gears is fantastic so far all by itself.

KingArthur
11-29-2005, 12:13 PM
If you want to kill Jesus go pl,ay the original FFT.

Come to think of it, square like the idea of killing god dont they?

Archibaldo
11-29-2005, 10:45 PM
The only thing that would beat killing God would be summon a bunch of chimpanzees dressed as the village people.

algam86
11-29-2005, 11:57 PM
If you want to kill Jesus go pl,ay the original FFT.
Don't bother. If you consider Altima/St. Ajora to be like Jesus, you'll probably be wondering something like...

WHY WAS THE LAST BOSS SO EASY?!

I gotta go through it again without Cloud, Orlandu, and Beowulf and see how tough -she- really is.

Back to the Xeno- thing-I've played through Xenosaga (1), but not Xenogears. I've seen it, though, and they seem to be related to me, but that's because in both of the games, you had the ability to pilot A.G.W.S. (giant robots). I don't know if they were called that or not in Xenogears, though.

I just added something of what I thought so it wouldn't be completely off topic.

Monica
11-30-2005, 11:40 AM
They are just called Gears in Xenogears. I'm Christian, but that doesn't even feel like it's talking about the Christian/Jewish God. I know it mentions Genesis and Babel and Gospel, but it also mentioned that God was wounded and sleeping in the sea, so I know it's not Him, and I don't feel too guilty, he seems like an imposter to me. ^_^ If they had actually followed the Bible and did the story right, I might not have liked it, I dunno. It seems like Square just made it look wrong to believe in one god.

BTW, I don't want any spoilers, but is Fei actually good or bad? Old Man Bal in the sand cave was furious when he found out what Weltall was.

Monica
12-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Really quick XG question, can someone please tell me where Shevat is on the map, or how to get back there from the world map? I need to tell Queen Zephyr I'm ready to go to Solaris. I've flown all over the world map and can't see it. Thanks. :)