PDA

View Full Version : Prank Gone Lethally Wrong...

zoraking
11-23-2005, 07:18 PM
2 Teens Injured in Crash by: News Dept. on 12:12:22 PM EDT

Two Hardin County teenagers were injured in a one vehicle crash around 9 Friday night on County Road 144.

According to a release from the Findlay Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol, 18 year old Robert R. of Kenton, swerved his vehicle to avoid hitting a [target practice deer] in the roadway. The car ended up travelling off the right side of the road, where it overturned, struck a fence and came to rest in a field. Robert R. and a passenger, 17 year old Dustin Z., of Mt. Victory, were both transferred by Life Flight helicopter to the Medical University in Toledo, where they are in the intensive care unit. The crash remains under investigation.

Authorities Continue Crash Investigation - News Dept. on 3:32:49 PM EDT

Two Hardin County teenagers are still listed in critical condition following a crash Friday night November 18.

The crash occurred on County Road 144, and according to a release from Prosecutor Brad Bailey, the two teenagers in the car, Robert R. and Dustin Z., were taken by life-flight helicopter to University Hospital in Toledo due to their severe and extensive injuries that they suffered after their vehicle left the roadway while the driver swerved to avoid a [target practice deer] that was purposely placed in the road.

The Hardin County Sheriff's Office and the Findlay Post of the Ohio State Patrol are still investigating. They are conducting interviews, searches and tracking down leads. Due to the very serious nature of this offense, anyone with any information should immediately call the Hardin County Sheriff's Office [number removed].

No charges have been filed as of this time. However, Prosecutor Bailey anticipates that future charges will be forthcoming not only for the perpetrators but also for the individuals who may be responsible for hindering or obstructing the investigation.

Basically, some teenagers stuck a fake deer in the middle of the road, and these victim swerved for it, crashed, and are almost dead. I can't believe this happened. These pranksters are going to be in a ton of trouble. I have a feeling these were teenagers. My thought of them being teens is some chick at school knew they were going to do it before it even took place. Would she be considered an "individual who may be responsible for hindering or obstructing the investigation"? I hope these kids get what they deserve, although I'm positive they didn't want to intentionally hurt someone, but they shouldn't have done it in the first place.

NOTE: I have only provided the last initial. I also removed the HCSO's number so no false information is provided.

Lilith
11-24-2005, 02:26 AM
Christ that's awful. It reminds me of what happened to me on prom night. Me and some friends were on a long but high-speed backroad to get to someone's house, apparently some teenagers had dragged one of the big wooden "welcome to *city*" signs in the middle of the road and layed it flat. It was flat and you could barely see it, but it was THICK, and at that speed, if we had hit it head on, we would have spun out of control. Anyway me and a bunch of friends were in the car, and at the last possible second someone screamed HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THAT and we swerved just in time. We were able to pull over and drag the sign out of the street. We freaked the fuck out after that, it was terrifying. Why the fuck do people do that stuff?

jessethe2nd
11-24-2005, 02:33 AM
Reckless, immature, idiotic retards. Faggots like that killed my cousin.

Dechipher
11-24-2005, 03:40 AM
Shit like that is funny.

When it's in someone's yard.

biggiy05
11-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Shit like that is funny.

When it's in someone's yard.

Thank you Alexmax.

If someone ever did that to me I would beat the fuck out of them.

ShadowTiger
11-24-2005, 05:37 PM

Kinda makes you reconsider the nature of pranks, huh. It's always funny until someone gets hurt.

Yeah, but then it's REALLY Funny!

... ... Until you're forced to visit them in the hospital or spend time in jail for what you've done.

Aegix Drakan
11-24-2005, 06:51 PM
agrees with both of the above

this prank is SO not funny

AlexMax
11-24-2005, 09:26 PM
This is a prank that went wrong. It was a stupid idea, but do you think the pranksters thought that people would end up in the hospital over this? A classic case of "Shit happens" in every sense of the word.

Reckless, immature, idiotic retards. Faggots like that killed my cousin.

I bet he was kind of a dick anyway.

Dechipher
11-25-2005, 01:22 AM
Yeah, but I mean, if you put a fucking deer in the road, you have to take into account that people are gonna swerve. The least you can do is pick a spot where they'll be able to swerve off the road safely.

MottZilla
11-25-2005, 03:14 AM
When setting up a prank, you really should think to yourself, what exactly do you want to happen, and what could end up happening that you might not have thought of. Alot of pranks seem like they'd be funny good ideas at the time, but some things people do can easily be lethal like that. You have to be certain how people will react to it won't lead to someone or something getting damaged or destroyed.

Anyways, that sucks.

moocow
11-25-2005, 09:54 AM
This is a prank that went wrong. It was a stupid idea, but do you think the pranksters thought that people would end up in the hospital over this? A classic case of "Shit happens" in every sense of the word.

Um, tell me how this prank could have gone right, exactly? I mean really, what do the majority of people do when they see a deer in the road? They swerve. It's rare that anyone just hits the deer, because no one wants to get hurt... It's common sense to know something like that. Also, common sense says it's not funny to put lives in danger just for fun, kthx.

I think the people who pulled this prank should be forced to stand in the middle of a busy intersection.

DsS Game
11-25-2005, 12:27 PM
This goes to show how immature some people are.

I swear if I was in that accident, someone's ass would be on the line. Unreal...

Lord Cheese
11-25-2005, 12:55 PM
This is a classical example of an event both really bad but hilarious at the same time. I hope they catch the guys responsible though. Stupidity is like the Energizer Bunny it just keeps going and going.

biggiy05
11-25-2005, 04:47 PM
This is a classical example of an event both really bad but hilarious at the same time. I hope they catch the guys responsible though. Stupidity is like the Energizer Bunny it just keeps going and going.

How the hell is this funny at all? They crashed into a tree and were severely hurt. Where is that funny?

koopa
11-26-2005, 03:50 AM
I see nothing funny or hilarious at all about people getting seriously injured or killed. I hope those who did this "prank" are punished.

copsgotguns
11-26-2005, 08:19 PM
is there nothing better to do in a small boring town. did they get tired of smoking pot, drinking beer, and having sex? pointless activities like that would never happen in my city.

zoraking
11-27-2005, 12:34 AM
Our town is quite small. Infact, the location of this accident is right outside of town. But there are more things to do than smoke pot (which at least 60% of the town's population does), drink beer (which probably explins the high welfare rate), and have sex (which this town is inbred to the max, whenever you mention someone, someone says "they're my cousin!", or something.). But the amout of things to do is limited. All we have is a theatre and a bowling alley. Most of kids loiter around the courthouse after 10:00. But, this doesn't mean you should go sticking deer in the highway, you should go tping instead :p!

Cloral
11-27-2005, 03:33 AM
This just goes to show, it is best to avoid pranks that involve cars. Too much can go wrong too easily.

DsS Game
11-27-2005, 04:39 AM
This just goes to show, it is best to avoid pranks that involve cars. Too much can go wrong too easily.

No. It is best to avoid pranks that involve dangering people's lives including cars....

likesallusions
11-27-2005, 03:39 PM
I don't see how some of you people can see this funny. Man, I'm getting my driver's license in a year. And I was just nervous about drunk drivers, I never thought about the pranks. I'm sure there's probably a couple (atleast) people at my school that would do something along that line eventually. :disgust:

Sute
11-28-2005, 11:36 PM
Stuff like this makes me sad I'm a teenager D:

AtmaWeapon
11-29-2005, 04:23 PM
To those who are having trouble understanding why this is not funny, I submit this explanation.

A prank is something that afterwards, all parties can laugh about. While it may present an inconvenience for the recipient, when the prank is revealed the recipient can continue their life as usual.

Placing a fake deer in the road is not a prank. Even at relatively low speeds, the consequences of collision with a deer are quite high. My girlfriend's best friend just had her car totalled by a deer; it caved her hood in, ruined her windshield, and caved her roof in. On top of the damage to the car itself, there is the danger that you can lose control of the vehicle, causing further damage and possible injury. Even a fake deer poses quite a threat to a moving vehicle.

Given the extent of damage collision can cause, it is natural to swerve to avoid the deer. Somehow I don't think anyone with even sub-human intelligence could agree that placing a person in a situation where they have to weigh the risks of thousands of dollars of property damage against the risks of a hard swerve to avoid an object is a "fun prank".

Seriously, put yourself in a similar situation. You're driving your car down the road and all of a sudden you see a deer in the road. You make one of the following two choices:

1) You decide to collide with the deer as swerving is too risky. It turns out to be a plastic decoy, but the 45mph impact gives the object quite a bit of energy. When all is said and done, the dents, scratches, and cracked windshield cost you $500 of repairs.

2) You decide to swerve in an attempt to avoid the deer. Your tires go off the shoulder and your car enters a spin. You correct the spin in time for a helpful tree to stop your car. The tree does damage to the tune of $2500 to your car and the car wil not function until it is repaired. The impact trauma causes your neck to ache for several days and you miss a week of work.

In either situation, would you suddenly start laughing and shout "Hey guys you got me good that time!" afterwards? Do you really think it is funny to do something that has a high chance of causing random people hundreds of dollars of damage and injury?

Seriously, "Oh this is just a good prank gone bad" is probably the stupidest observation that could be made about this situation. I am trying and trying to think of a situation where placing a hidden, large object in the path of traffic is a good prank and I'm just not seeing any.

Glitch
11-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Would of been funnier if they used a real deer.

likesallusions
11-29-2005, 07:22 PM
No, a real deer is a lot bigger and will do much MUCH more damage to you and the vehicle. That would be even less "funny".

biggiy05
11-29-2005, 07:43 PM
No, a real deer is a lot bigger and will do much MUCH more damage to you and the vehicle. That would be even less "funny".

It was a joke. People will say stuff like that all the time and it is just to be dumb.

Sute
12-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Would of been funnier if they used a real deer.

Then.. couldn't they technically get in trouble for animal cruelty?

likesallusions
12-02-2005, 12:01 AM
That too. Either way, bad.

Aegix Drakan
12-02-2005, 08:46 AM
Then.. couldn't they technically get in trouble for animal cruelty?

LOL! That is so true! Let's hope these idiots get what they deserve, a long time of staring between bars.

zoraking
12-02-2005, 07:59 PM
LOL! That is so true! Let's hope these idiots get what they deserve, a long time of staring between bars.

I doubt it, our police force is filled with corruption and scandals. In fact, my town has the highest unsolved murder rate per capita in the nation.

likesallusions
12-02-2005, 11:29 PM
...that's scary. You never know, though, they could get 'em. Eventually.

Aegix Drakan
12-03-2005, 07:01 AM
Yeah, but if they do get 'em, they'll probably just get a year in jail, plus have their liscence suspended. I don't know, I'm just judging from life in Canada. I mean, A guy in my country was busted, what 8 times? for driving under the influence, 5 times causing death, and he's still out there!!!

What galls me is that it seems that we are giving theives a longer jail sentence than muderers and rapists. It just doesn't add up! in fact, might as well call the justice system: the INjustice system.

[edit] Your town has the highest Unsolved murder rate in the country?!? I would NOT feel safe there!!!

(sigh) This world is so insane...

AtmaWeapon
12-03-2005, 03:52 PM
I doubt it, our police force is filled with corruption and scandals. In fact, my town has the highest unsolved murder rate per capita in the nation.While that may be true it has little to do with the reasons why their sentence would be light.

First and foremost the pranksters could well be minors. This would lighten any sentence.

Second, the articles given do not claim anyone has died. This can't even escalate to an involuntary manslaughter case without a corpse.

Third, the defense would likely bring forth the point that the defendant(s) had no intentions of causing death and did not understand the full depth of the consequences of their prank. If the jury is sufficiently convinced, sympathy for the defendant(s) as "poor kids in trouble for a simple prank" could outweigh sympathy for the poor kids in the hospital because of the completely irresponsible actions of otehrs. In this case, the jury will request a lightened sentence or simply rule not guilty to save the poor, misrepresented defendants.

The third reason is why I got so miffed at the "Oh it was just a prank" attitude. If all members of the jury viewed this as a prank gone wrong, then all that will happen is the injured parties will have to pay court costs on top of their hospital bills. It is my opinion that ignorance of consequences is a pretty inapplicable defense in this case since "car + obstacle in road" is an equation that is easy to evaluate to "accident", but that is not the opinion of everyone.

g.iaroos
12-04-2005, 12:48 AM
The worse in all this is that those who did that probably left right after putting the false deer and then just imagined the "hilarous" situation. It would be like to put salt where sugar is supposed to be in a restaurant and then think about people who'll get disgusted when drinking their coffee ... if you're not even there, there is no point of doing it ... not even for fun