PDA

View Full Version : The legend of zelda the minish cap

cybergator
11-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Who here has played the legend of zelda the minish cap for the gameboy advance system.

ShadowTiger
11-22-2005, 03:24 PM
lol, Black Text against a Black Background really doesn't show up that well, cg. :p

I've played it. I really enjoyed it, actually. It kinda felt like a cross between ALTTP and ... let's say ... Oracle Of Seasons on the GB. Lots of exploring, lots of combining those ... ... weird half-circle things with ... other .. ones, ... Yeah, lots of good stuff. :) TONS of stuff to do. ^_^

vegeta1215
11-22-2005, 03:56 PM
I bought The Minish Cap right when it came out. I really like the graphical style, the new items are cool, and the music is some of the best in the series. (it has a lot of new tunes, and a lot of remixed tunes - including Zelda II remixes!) However, aside from those points, I regard The Minish Cap as the worst Zelda to date.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game when compared to most other games, but compared to the other Zelda games, it's a big step back. I think what bugged me most about the game is that a) it is so easy b) the overworld is so confining until you get the next dungeon item c) the dungeons are so linear. Also, the Kinstone fusion is the worst thing ever created for Zelda completionists. Coupled with the statue making, it is enough to drive you crazy.

ZeldaLord
11-22-2005, 05:15 PM
I agree, it was one of the worst to date.

The length really bothered me. The last few Zelda games were much shorter than they used to be (Wind Waker, Minish Cap, and FSA). They removed many long time Zelda traditions, such as the trading sequence, and, yet again half the characters were carbon copies from OOT. When will they ever take the time to come up with new characters?

Grasshopper
11-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Yeah. I know where you're coming from. Such as Silent Hill 4. A decent game in its own respect, but compared to the series, it was downright terrible. But this is a Zelda thread, so back to that.

The game was a great little adventure game, but as a Zelda game I didn't like it that much either. I even *GASP* didn't finish it. I spent too much time in the overworld then I did dungeons. Dungeons were completed in one attempt, while the overworld was cumbersome because of the particular things you had to do. Kinstones were aggrivating. I guess to some extent I like the idea of having things to collect, but at the same time, too much gets tedious for a completist.

I don't know if I place this as one of the worst Zelda games, but I will place it in the same area as the Oracle games. Well below Link's Awakening when it comes to portable Zelda.

ZeldaLord
11-22-2005, 08:17 PM
I prefered the oracle games. At least they had 8 dungeons, which were mildly challenging, and I did die a few times.

EDIT: What you all think of the whole 4 Swords subseries, anyway? I'm not sure about it myself...

vegeta1215
11-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Like ZeldaLord, I prefer the Oracle games to The Minish Cap, but even those can't compare to the king of all handheld Zeldas: Link's Awakening.

Thankfully I was able to play the original Four Swords (included with LTTP on GBA) with a friend. It is a lot of fun, and man does it make the time fly. My friend and I were never able to get the best keys for each level though. Four Swords Adventures was really fun too, but I only got to play it solo. I do like seeing a villain other than Ganon, so the story is refreshing, but mixing the two villains in FSA was something I wouldn't have done.

Darth Marsden
11-23-2005, 07:08 AM
I have to say that I really enjoyed Minish Cap. I played it first as a ROM which froze when I got to the castle at the end ( :( ) and then on the GBA when I picked it up for around a tenner. The second time I played it I was more obsessed with getting those damned Kinstones, but for some reason I was left with one to do and I couldn't find the person to fuse with! It was so irritating. But yeah, it was a little short, but when you're playing something great, length isn't that much of an issue. I don't really see anybody complaining that Max Payne was too short.

I've also got Four Swords Adventures, but I can only play it solo 'cause I don't have any friends in the area who'll play with me. Same goes for the original Four Swords. As for FSA, it's not bad, but I'd imagine it being a whole lot better with more then one person. I think this is the weakest of the series - if we're not counting the CD-i games or the Game&Watch one.

ZeldaLord
11-23-2005, 01:48 PM
I really hope they release a Four Swords game on the DS, just imagine the potential it would have with the DS's online capacities.

Darth Marsden
11-23-2005, 05:41 PM
They are. (http://ds.ign.com/articles/533/533639p1.html)

(First page Google came up with. I'm almost certain there's more info out there, I just can't be bothered to find it.)

Orion
11-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Indeed, Four Swords is a much better game with more than one person involved. I used to get into brutal, sometimes physical fights with my g/f about that game. It was a lot of fun :D.

Mak-X
11-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Aonuma later clarified that he was only talking about the possibilities for a DS Zelda, and that the Zelda they plan to make will not be another version of Four Swords for DS.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Minish Cap as I did Majora's Mask.

vegeta1215
11-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Next to Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, I think Majora's Mask is the most underrated Zelda. It is better than Ocarina of Time in many ways, and is probably my favorite of the 3D Zeldas.

mrz84
11-25-2005, 01:57 PM
Minish Cap was actually a pretty good game. Have yet to get all the kinstones fused, but aside from that, I've beaten the game and gotten everything...final boss was kinda annoying though...