PDA

View Full Version : SNES Repair

vegeta1215
11-18-2005, 10:45 PM
I've recently played a few games on my SNES, but had some problems. Sometimes when I put the games in and turn on the system, I just get a black screen. I usually have to swap the games in and out a few times before they work. I think maybe the carts aren't making very good contact inside the SNES.

Can anyone recommend a solution? Is there an accessory I can get that will make a better connection? (maybe a game genie?). Or would a new connector do it? (like how I fixed my NES way back when)

jessethe2nd
11-19-2005, 12:21 AM
Ouch the black screen of death... This tends to happen when a system is stored for awhile with out use. I can not tell you the direct cause but I would recommend using a cotton swab and lightly cleaning out the connector. May work may not. I fixed mine this way, but I also broke my system a few years afterwards this ways (pushed a bit too hard and broke a pin). Just be careful doing it. You could also have some one at a place like trade a game or something do it so that if it is broken doing this you will atleast get a free replacement. Hope this helps.

vegeta1215
11-19-2005, 01:19 AM
I haven't used my SNES in a while, but the last time I did I thoroughly cleaned all the games and the connector inside the SNES using a cleaning kit from a video game store. I may actually go back to that store and see if they sell the 62 pin replacement connector, cause that's what I think the problem is (I don't think the system is dying)

phattonez
11-19-2005, 01:36 AM
I haven't used my SNES in a while, but the last time I did I thoroughly cleaned all the games and the connector inside the SNES using a cleaning kit from a video game store. I may actually go back to that store and see if they sell the 62 pin replacement connector, cause that's what I think the problem is (I don't think the system is dying)
Buy the air in a can (compressed air) that you use to dust computers and other things. I think it will work for it. Use it on the cartridges and the system.

Yoshiman
11-19-2005, 11:25 AM
I tend to get this too. I still have my SNES hooked up and play it once in a while. Same with my N64, though not as often. It's probably dust, since it tends to get a little dusty inder the TV where I have my systems. >_>

gdorf
11-19-2005, 12:54 PM
SNES's are cheap enough nowadays, perhaps you should considering picking up a used one if the repairs end up costing you a lot of money.

That said, I think you are on the right track, though I don't know of many stores that carry parts for such an old system.

Dechipher
11-19-2005, 06:45 PM
In my experience, good SNES's are pretty hard to find. I got mine guaranteed at like 70, same with my NES.

Dart Zaidyer
11-19-2005, 07:53 PM
I can say through experience that this problem is almost always caused by dust. Clean the SNES, and clean the game before inserting it. You'd be surprised at the amount of dust that collects on the game's pins, especially if you never keep it in the plastic sleeve it came with.

Sometimes, a game can be so deteriorated that no matter how you clean it, it will rarely boot, if ever. I have a couple like that.
If it comes down to it, you'll want to replace the connector, but you might want to try the less expensive solutions first.

4matsy
11-19-2005, 11:56 PM
Oh yeah, definitely...as suggested by the previous posters, just regularly clean all the connectors with whatever you can manage to reach in there with.

I personally have gotten into the habit of using a wet cotton swab to clean the game cart's connector, and then following up with a dry one to get rid of all the water before trying it out in the SNES...

First time I tried this technique was on a Mario All-Stars that traditionally crashed to the BSOD if it moved even a nanomicron while it was running...I honestly didn't expect that swabbing it out with water would be any effective, but a LOT of dirt came out onto the q-tip heads, and when I was done cleaning it, even frantic shaking it about in the cart slot wouldn't crash the game. :odd:

vegeta1215
11-20-2005, 01:08 AM
Getting the replacement connector and security screw bit to open the SNES is no problem, I can get those from online stores. Personally, I think the pins aren't making contact, and that's the issue, not dust.

copsgotguns
11-20-2005, 01:31 AM
nobodies old school here? i used to blow on the cartridges until my head got dizzy. and if that didnt work i would put the game under my shirt and blow again. that seemed to do the trick....then again, i was in 1st grade.

MottZilla
11-20-2005, 04:26 AM
Vegeta, i've not sure the SNES cartridge connector is as easily removed and reinstalled as it was on the gray NES units. Infact it may be machine soldered on. From what you said it does it most certainly does seem like a connection contacts issue. Try to make sure all the cartridge pins are intact and clean as well as the unit's connector. Unlike the NES, worn out pins are less likely. If a SNES doesn't start at all, ever, it's ussually a certain blown fuse. I might suggest if you play your SNES often and mainly play games without add-on chips, to buy a SNES backup unit. My Super Famicom has one, and it's basically always plugged in. Come to think of it... my SFC had contact issues with the backup unit and so did my SNES. Ussually I'd wedge a coin or piece of paper in certain places to stop it from moving and losing contact. Hmph. You should check that out. See while a game is running if moving the console can cause the game to crash. Use a game WITHOUT Save backup. If it can crash, try wedging a coin or paper infront or inback of the cartridge to stop any rockin back and forth.

vegeta1215
11-20-2005, 12:10 PM
When I got a game working, touching the cartridge would make it reset or turn off :(

I have to look online to see if there are intructions on how to install a new connector in the SNES like there is for the NES. This is a picture of it, and it looks like it may just screw in: http://store.gameasylum.us/sn62pinresot.html

I'm interested in the backup unit, do you have links to web pages with info on them?

Dart Zaidyer
11-20-2005, 03:42 PM
When I got a game working, touching the cartridge would make it reset or turn off :(
I had a copy of Super Mario Kart that did that. Tip: The cartridge should NOT make rattling noises or shift its weight when you hold it.

MottZilla
11-21-2005, 02:00 AM
Yup, just IM me on AIM sometime or I could PM you vegeta. Keep in mind it's not cheap, but it's not too expensive. For about $53.20 you can get a good 32mbit backup device (I have the same model) shipping included. Keep in mind you'll be using 3.5" floppy disks to store games. I have a whole caddy full, it's actually kinda cool. If you want CD or HD or Zip, you'll easily spend 100$ to 200$ trying to hunt down a Super Wild Card DX with DiskDual.

vegeta1215
11-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Oh, it stores entire games? I was thinking it was a device that just stored the "saves" of the games, so I can keep my saves when the batteries in my carts run out.

Fixing my SNES isn't a high priority cause I'm sure I'll get the same games with the Revolution game service, but it'd be nice to have it working great again. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

MottZilla
11-22-2005, 02:26 AM
Yes, you can extract your saves to floppies too. :O And from cartridge games too.

vegeta1215
11-27-2005, 01:27 AM
Well, I pulled out my cartridge cleaning kit and went to work on the connectors inside my SNES and my games tonight. It seems to have helped a lot. Most of my games play on the first try now.

I think getting a new connector would improve things even more, but I'm happy at the moment. The only issue I have now is the start and select buttons on my controllers don't work that well (you have to push them really hard sometimes)

Dart Zaidyer
11-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Replace your controller.

Mine did that for a long while. Taking it apart to swap out the contacts revealed that, in fact, they were nearly disintegrated.

4matsy
11-28-2005, 04:09 AM
:odd:

...Damn, Dart, how hard were you pressing the buttons on your controller?

My two original SNES controllers that came with the system when I got it back in '91 are still in perfect working order, yet all of the dozen or so third-party SNES controllers I've got have at least one thing screwed up somewhere...go figure. :sweat:

Dart Zaidyer
11-28-2005, 02:57 PM
My controller was used as Player One since 1992 for around 3 to 5 days a week, pausing only for a year or two when the SNES it came with shorted out.
The Start/Select contacts were completely dead by 2002, I think.

Nicholas Steel
02-18-2006, 07:57 AM
where do you get the tool to open a n64 console? and with my super nintendo the controllers contacts where not disintergrated they just needed extreme cleaning.

also with cleaning games use icoproprical alcohol to clean them (not sure how to spell the first word)

refer to sir_johnamus post below for the proper name of the cleaning soloution i use to clean cartridges

Mak-X
02-19-2006, 02:08 PM
I found this site recently that has repair stuff for Nintendo systems. Haven't bought anything from there though.
http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/

Nicholas Steel
02-19-2006, 09:49 PM
liksang.com is another place but i have never ever purchased anything online so far.

Sir_Johnamus
02-20-2006, 11:18 AM
That's isopropyl, fran(the regular rubbing kind, not the other kind!)
I got my snes along with 25 games for $30 on ebay.
It was good, but normally, the games wouldn't boot. To solve, I just took the Killer Instinct manual(it's HUGE!) and put it in front of the cartrige.
Then it worked. Other than that, I don't shop online much.