PDA

View Full Version : Colored bubbles!

AtmaWeapon
11-18-2005, 06:19 PM
The man invented colored bubbles! (http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/0a03b5108e097010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html)

It isn't really as exciting as they make it sound to me, but the applications of the dye they created are pretty interesting. As they mentioned, one idea in the works is a Swiffer that leaves a trail so you can see where you have cleaned, then the trail disappears after a few minutes.

Pretty cool stuff.

Tygore
11-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Part of me thinks "Of all the things to research in this world, what with diseases needing cures and rapidly growing technology, why on earth would this man choose bubbles?"

The other part thinks "I gotta get me some of that."

algam86
11-18-2005, 07:31 PM
Hey, blowing bubbles is a heck of a lot more fun than trying to cure cancer or AIDS or something.

Wonder how much they'll cost.

Toolie
11-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Part of me thinks "Of all the things to research in this world, what with diseases needing cures and rapidly growing technology, why on earth would this man choose bubbles?"

The other part thinks "I gotta get me some of that."

Curing cancer is a bit difficult when you're a literal kitchen chemist (who apparantly knows very little about chemistry).

Archibaldo
11-18-2005, 10:08 PM
That's pretty awesome. Now all they need is one of those machines that shoots out bubbles constantly and hook it up to the back of their car. Driving down the street with an array of coloured bubbles trailing behind.

MacWeirdo42
11-19-2005, 01:17 AM
My bubbles!

No seriously, that rocks... I would very much like some colored bubbles myself. As for the waste of research, I gotta admit, I doubt this guy could have cured AIDS or cancer, as spectacular as his invention is... On the other hand, he can use his powers to make lots of colored bubbles and bring a little happiness to the world - hey, it's somethin'.

ONeilcool
11-19-2005, 02:33 AM
You guys are the thinking all wrong. He made colored bubbles...to cure cancer and AIDS! think about it...

moocow
11-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Scented bubbles and candy bubbles... now colored bubbles.... Wow.

AtmaWeapon
11-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Guys people are allowed to invent things other than the cure for cancer. :rolleyes:

Plus that argument pretty much fails. The dye chemist was paid by a toy company to develop the dye. First, the money would not have gone to cancer research anyway. Second, the dye chemist was likely not working on a dye that could cure cancer.

This guy is planning lots of practical household items and versions of toys for kids that parents usually reject due to stains. Do kids like to fingerpaint? YES! Do parents like kids to fingerpaint? NO! A proposed solution is a version of this dye that does not fade on a special paper.

And who knows, by fingerpainting a picture, a kid could stimulate his brain in a way that allows him to be more creative in general. What if he becomes a scientist later? This creative thinking could cause him to find the cure to cancer. It's a weak butterfly effect argumnt, but I'm finding more and more than when you have several people working on one task, usually all of them are approaching it from the same angle and your chances of finding a solution are usually reduced. We reject different viewpoints, embrace normalcy, and consequently we all follow the same pied piper.

It is the ones who stop, step outside of the box, and look in another direction that find the solution no one else could.

Cloral
11-19-2005, 06:42 PM
And whoever said all inventions have to be necessary to the world? Think of all the things we wouldn't have today if every time someone tried to invent something that was the argument used. And oftentimes those new innovations turn out to be more useful than initially thought. Like pointed out above, even though the dye was invented for the bubbles, they are now realizing that there are many practical uses for the dye.

I'm not a bubble blowing sort of person, but I think I would buy a bottle of this stuff.

Dechipher
11-19-2005, 06:48 PM
They're not colored, they're racially challenged.

btw thats cool

Beldaran
11-19-2005, 07:00 PM
That is so awesome!

Coming soon, the movie: Get Rich or Dye Trying

ShadowTiger
11-19-2005, 08:38 PM
:laughing: ... ... Wow. XD Nice, man. :highfive:

It's big stuff, at least relative to its previous shortcomings. It's amazingly trivial to think up the concept of a colored bubble, but the actual creation of such a thing, ... well, ... most have no idea how difficult it would have been to create such a thing. All the more celebration for this wonderous event. I'm sure he's pretty much ecstatic in his discovery. Significant kudos to him. :thumbsup: